Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

One last thought on confession....don't put your cell phone in your back pocket!

A good friend of mine went to confession recently and forgot her cell phone was in her back pocket. She sat down and started confession and unknowingly called her MOTHER-IN-LAW! Yes, she butt-dialed her MIL in confession. While Christ and the priest will not be shocked by anything you ever say, I'm not sure if that extends to MILs. :-)

So turn off the cell phone!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I have more information now. I am not very familiar with this local parish since we have recently moved here and I haven't been to Catholic Mass in years other than a few visits in our last town. My children have been once or twice along with attending church at other religions. My husband is not interested in anything at this time but doesn't care if I choose to re-explore. I just found out our local parish is so hands off right now because the priest is fighting cancer. They are overwhelmed at this time and that would explain why the rectory was short with my questions and why they are shorthanded.

I have decided I will see if they have a women's guild. My mother did that when I was growing up. I'll also poke around at other parishes in nearby towns. There's about one per town, but one town has a university and has a Newman Center which holds Mass. That actually confuses me- is that more like Mass geared toward college age?

Every parish I've looked up has an English, Spanish, and Latin Mass. Very interesting!

Oh, I'm glad there was some type of explanation for your initial experience with the church secretary. She certainly couldhave still handled it better, but at least it is more understandable.

Yes, a Newman Center is a Catholic center at a university or college that specifically ministers to college kids, though everyone is welcome. Often times masses there tend to have more contemporary, praise and worship style music during mass, social activities after mass , etc. My 19 year old BIL who lives with us goes to a Newman Center mass evey Sunday night at 10 pm. They have pizza after mass and hang out. It's a little late for my taste (;-p), but it is always packed!

So...

this morning we went to the 9 am Mass (we usually attend the evening Mass). They had girl altar servers? I've never before seen this (the boys serve the evening Mass I assume, since I've never noticed the girls before).

I was a bit uncomfortable with it. I have no idea *why* - my only guess is because it is "out of the norm" for me. My last parish had only boy servers, as did my childhood parish...

Thoughts? I didn't know girls were allowed to be altar servers...

One last thought on confession....don't put your cell phone in your back pocket!

A good friend of mine went to confession recently and forgot her cell phone was in her back pocket. She sat down and started confession and unknowingly called her MOTHER-IN-LAW! Yes, she butt-dialed her MIL in confession. While Christ and the priest will not be shocked by anything you ever say, I'm not sure if that extends to MILs. :-)

Lol!!!

Hmm, I have more information now. I am not very familiar with this local parish since we have recently moved here and I haven't been to Catholic Mass in years other than a few visits in our last town. My children have been once or twice along with attending church at other religions. My husband is not interested in anything at this time but doesn't care if I choose to re-explore. I just found out our local parish is so hands off right now because the priest is fighting cancer. They are overwhelmed at this time and that would explain why the rectory was short with my questions and why they are shorthanded.

I'm so sorry. I'll pray for this priest.

I have decided I will see if they have a women's guild. My mother did that when I was growing up. I'll also poke around at other parishes in nearby towns. There's about one per town, but one town has a university and has a Newman Center which holds Mass. That actually confuses me- is that more like Mass geared toward college age?

Yes, exactly that. From Wiki

Newman Centers or Newman Clubs are Catholic ministry centers at non-Catholic universities found throughout the world. The establishment of this movement was inspired by the writings of Blessed Cardinal John Henry Newman encouraging societies for Catholic students attending secular universities

Every parish I've looked up has an English, Spanish, and Latin Mass. Very interesting!

Mass in English (or Spanish) in the US is the Ordinary (meaning normal/customary) form of the mass. It is called the Novo Ordus mass. Most Catholics in the US are going to the NO mass. This mass was came into being in 1969.

There is a contingent of Catholics who did not like the Tridentine mass (Latin mass) was no longer the norm. They petitioned and petitioned to have it brought back. (It really is a lot more complicated than I'm making it seem) Eventually the Latin mass was allowed in certain parishes by certain bishops, and it is officially called the extraordinary (not the norm) mass. It is most commonly abbreviated as the TLM (Traditional Latin Mass)

Within the last few years the restrictions have been lifted and there are a lot more TLMs available in the larger areas.

You can pick which mass you'd like to attend. There is (officially) nothing wrong with either mass. Of course if you talk to a traditionalist they will fill your ears with all that is wrong with the NO. If you talk to a NOer they may (or may not) fill your ear with all that is great about the NO and tell you that the TLMers are a bit out of touch.

I think a newbie would be better off with the NO since it is easier to understand and somewhat familiar if they've ever gone to a non-catholic christian church. The TLM isn't going anywhere and you can always take the plunge later. And the NO is easier for kids to sit through.

So...

this morning we went to the 9 am Mass (we usually attend the evening Mass). They had girl altar servers? I've never before seen this (the boys serve the evening Mass I assume, since I've never noticed the girls before).

I was a bit uncomfortable with it. I have no idea *why* - my only guess is because it is "out of the norm" for me. My last parish had only boy servers, as did my childhood parish...

Interesting. I went to Mass last night and there was a girl altar server and two or three women assisting. There were some other things different from what I am used to also, but it is hard to know how much of that is because of parish differences or Mass having changed over the past couple of....decades.

So...

Girl alter servers have been "allowed" since the 1983 Code came out. I have mixed feelings about it. When we came to this parish dd served every Sunday for over a year because nobody else stepped up to assist. So it can be a good thing for girls to assist the priest.

On the other hand, perhaps it helps boys and young men think about the priesthood a bit harder than they otherwise would have thought about it. Bur kids are so worldly now. It is hard to imagine that one hour a week will them discern the call

My sisters were altar servers in Texas and that's been a number of years ago and most of the parishes around here have them also. At least since the early 90's anyway.

Reminds me of the story I heard about a couple whose baby had just been baptized. She went into the nursery to nurse the baby during the party afterward, the dh came in a while later, they decided to get busy, and forgot the baby monitor was on! All of their guests heard them!

Mass in English (or Spanish) in the US is the Ordinary (meaning normal/customary) form of the mass. It is called the Novo Ordus mass. Most Catholics in the US are going to the NO mass. This mass was came into being in 1969.

There is a contingent of Catholics who did not like the Tridentine mass (Latin mass) was no longer the norm. They petitioned and petitioned to have it brought back. (It really is a lot more complicated than I'm making it seem) Eventually the Latin mass was allowed in certain parishes by certain bishops, and it is officially called the extraordinary (not the norm) mass. It is most commonly abbreviated as the TLM (Traditional Latin Mass)

Within the last few years the restrictions have been lifted and there are a lot more TLMs available in the larger areas.

You can pick which mass you'd like to attend. There is (officially) nothing wrong with either mass. Of course if you talk to a traditionalist they will fill your ears with all that is wrong with the NO. If you talk to a NOer they may (or may not) fill your ear with all that is great about the NO and tell you that the TLMers are a bit out of touch.

I think a newbie would be better off with the NO since it is easier to understand and somewhat familiar if they've ever gone to a non-catholic christian church. The TLM isn't going anywhere and you can always take the plunge later. And the NO is easier for kids to sit through.

The Latin Mass could just be the Novus Ordo in Latin, by the way.

Girl alter servers have been "allowed" since the 1983 Code came out. I have mixed feelings about it. When we came to this parish dd served every Sunday for over a year because nobody else stepped up to assist. So it can be a good thing for girls to assist the priest.

On the other hand, perhaps it helps boys and young men think about the priesthood a bit harder than they otherwise would have thought about it. Bur kids are so worldly now. It is hard to imagine that one hour a week will them discern the call

Girl altar servers is a bit like fish on Fridays. We're now "allowed" to eat meat on non-Lent Fridays if we substitute another penance. And this has somehow come to mean that no abstinence is required on those days. Girl altar servers started out as an exception for smaller chapels (like hospitals and such) who might have trouble finding men to serve. And now it is the norm most places. Our parish doesn't do it but we have hardly any children so there aren't many feathers to ruffle. The same two boys serve every Sunday.

I have to say the fact that our parish has several girl altar servers was a big deal to oldest dd. She commented right after Mass that she thought that was nice that girls were allowed to participate. So, for us, it's an excellent thing that she sees girl and women having a role like that because she was our most reluctant. I didn't know it's a relatively new idea or that anyone had a problem with it.

From Vatican Radio:

Join Vatican Radio as we wait for a new Pope. Beginning Tuesday at 17:30 Rome time (16:30 London, 12:30 New York, 9:30 Los Angeles, 3:30 am Wed Sydney), We will have our eyes on a certain chimney on our special Youtube Channel. We will be joined by guests in studio, and our correspondents in St. Peter's Square. If the smoke is black, we will be back at 11:30 Wednesday morning! Join us with your comments, observations, and hopes for the new Pope.

http://www.youtube.com/vaticanradio

Chiming in again: one time I was visiting a Catholic church and saw girl altar servers. I was surprised because I didn't know that they existed. It was at a funeral actually.

I don't think it's something the EO will ever have-- well, maybe a thousand years from now, LOL-- except on Holy Friday there are often 'little myrrhbearers' who form part of the procession--

but one thing I noticed, is that the girl altar servers that I saw that time were very respectful, and they were well-groomed. It was clear that they had been taught how to behave. They each had their hair back in neat bun, and no makeup or high heels, for example. They did their tasks quietly and reverently and they knew exactly what to do. I'm not sure why this struck me so much, perhaps because sometimes the altar boys that I've seen at my own church(es) can be perhaps just a little scruffy, or very distracted by an interesting drippy candle, or what have you. Even though having altar girls is not really something I would ever think of, or expect, I was impressed with these girls' demeanor.

I really hope you do not mind me chiming in. I just think it's an interesting idea.

Reminds me of the story I heard about a couple whose baby had just been baptized. She went into the nursery to nurse the baby during the party afterward, the dh came in a while later, they decided to get busy, and forgot the baby monitor was on! All of their guests heard them!

Oh. My. Word.

Chiming in again: one time I was visiting a Catholic church and saw girl altar servers. I was surprised because I didn't know that they existed. It was at a funeral actually.

I don't think it's something the EO will ever have-- well, maybe a thousand years from now, LOL-- except on Holy Friday there are often 'little myrrhbearers' who form part of the procession--

but one thing I noticed, is that the girl altar servers that I saw that time were very respectful, and they were well-groomed. It was clear that they had been taught how to behave. They each had their hair back in neat bun, and no makeup or high heels, for example. They did their tasks quietly and reverently and they knew exactly what to do. I'm not sure why this struck me so much, perhaps because sometimes the altar boys that I've seen at my own church(es) can be perhaps just a little scruffy, or very distracted by an interesting drippy candle, or what have you. Even though having altar girls is not really something I would ever think of, or expect, I was impressed with these girls' demeanor.

I really hope you do not mind me chiming in. I just think it's an interesting idea.

Your questions and comments are always welcome LN. :grouphug:

I left mine on in my purse and it rang during confession a couple weeks ago! I was embarrassed and apologized to Father. Glad I did not accidentally call anyone!

I assumed they are now living in a remote part of Alaska. That seems to be the logical thing to do after something like that happens!

I merely meant that it is not out of the ordinary now. Did I offend in my wording? Your response is rather cryptic! Forgive me if I somehow gave offense.

Sorry, I just got online for the first time today. I did read it the wrong way, but I didn't want to let myself get offended because I wasn't sure it was meant that way. So I just stated that I disagreed. I should just have asked you to clarify. Forgive me for being so cryptic.

It looks like, in general, we should check for smoke 7:00ish EST and 2:00ish EST each day. There are two rounds of voting in the am and two in the pm each day. They burn ballots after each pair of votes. Of course, if a pope gets elected on an "even ballot" (the first in one of those pairs) we'll see some unscheduled white smoke about an hour or so earlier than those times.

There are also supposed to be bells along with white smoke to help eliminate smoke color confusion. But bells are rung fairly often in St. Peter's, so I guess that isn't quite fool proof either.

This is what you get when the church is run by a bunch of Italians :)

It looks like, in general, we should check for smoke 7:00ish EST and 2:00ish EST each day. There are two rounds of voting in the am and two in the pm each day. They burn ballots after each pair of votes. Of course, if a pope gets elected on an "even ballot" (the first in one of those pairs) we'll see some unscheduled white smoke about an hour or so earlier than those times.

There are also supposed to be bells along with white smoke to help eliminate smoke color confusion. But bells are rung fairly often in St. Peter's, so I guess that isn't quite fool proof either.

This is what you get when the church is run by a bunch of Italians :)

They used to burn wet straw with the ballots to make the smoke black, but sometimes it looked grayish which was confusing. I read they now use chemicals to make it definitely black. It should be apparent by looking at the smoke.

Pray for our cardinals and our new holy father, whoever he is!

Question not about the Pope...

How's it going to go when someone from the church finds out dh had a vasectomy after our last miscarriage? It was something we both decided on due to our living dd's health conditions and the last miscarriage but I know it is against church teaching. We weren't Catholic then and felt it was fine to do. You can pm me if you want.

Question not about the Pope...

How's it going to go when someone from the church finds out dh had a vasectomy after our last miscarriage? It was something we both decided on due to our living dd's health conditions and the last miscarriage but I know it is against church teaching. We weren't Catholic then and felt it was fine to do. You can pm me if you want.

You are not held to Catholic standards as you were not Catholic when you did it. There is no need to seek a reversal.