Menu

In a real $$$ predicament over Christmas and I need simple ideas

Blueridge

I was up late fretting over our family's Christmas and how we were going to afford much. I had saved for one nice present each for the girls, but not much left for little goodies, stocking stuffers, etc. Well, I know many are in this boat. Besides that is the need for an individual family in our church, that our choir wanted to sponsor. Each of us is supposed to be bringing what we can to fulfill their needs for clothing and gifts. Dd15 has been sewing dolly clothes but so far that's all we have to donate. Things got even more stressful this morning. Last week our church was announcing the angel tree they had put up...I was home sick and didn't know...and the girls went to the tree to pick an angel to give gifts to and ended up picking 8 angels. :ohmy: I know those children don't have much at all, but 6 of them are older teens wanting clothes. I just don't know what to do. Goodwill clothes look nice but you can tell they aren't new. I am battling my upset and trying to focus on the real meaning of Christmas, but all this takes cash or super duper imagination, and I have neither. Please give me suggestions of what we can give these children, because my daughter's hearts were right to get so many off the tree 'because nobody else was'. :crying: Thank you for any ideas.

Oh, what sweet girls you have...we are in a similar situation w/ trying to help a family whose dad just lost his job and we have enough financial troubles of our own. I think it's important to let our kids help. I thought one thing we could do would be to do a couple jars of cookie mix deocrated w/ ribbon, along with a cookie sheet and cutters--it's not so much a present, but a nice Christmas experience they can share together. Same w/ crafts, but I haven't gotten far on ideas for that yet.

I would promptly return all the angels to the tree since you are not in a financial position to purchase the items wanted.

Your children are old enough to understand the difficult truths of life. Explain to them how they can serve people with their time and come up with ideas to help that way.

The dolly clothes for the choir-sponsored family can be your tangible gift contribution.

Depending upon how much you have for "...little goodies, stocking stuffers,...", would you and all your children be willing to spend those funds on the choir-sponsored family or on one of the angels? I would certainly understand if no one wanted to do so, but based upon your original post, I see no other options if you want to give tangible gifts.

I was up late fretting over our family's Christmas and how we were going to afford much. I had saved for one nice present each for the girls, but not much left for little goodies, stocking stuffers, etc. Well, I know many are in this boat. Besides that is the need for an individual family in our church, that our choir wanted to sponsor. Each of us is supposed to be bringing what we can to fulfill their needs for clothing and gifts. Dd15 has been sewing dolly clothes but so far that's all we have to donate. Things got even more stressful this morning. Last week our church was announcing the angel tree they had put up...I was home sick and didn't know...and the girls went to the tree to pick an angel to give gifts to and ended up picking 8 angels. :ohmy: I know those children don't have much at all, but 6 of them are older teens wanting clothes. I just don't know what to do. Goodwill clothes look nice but you can tell they aren't new. I am battling my upset and trying to focus on the real meaning of Christmas, but all this takes cash or super duper imagination, and I have neither. Please give me suggestions of what we can give these children, because my daughter's hearts were right to get so many off the tree 'because nobody else was'. :crying: Thank you for any ideas.

Mention this to your daughters. Money is not in infinite supply. Would they rather give to a needy family or receive nice gifts? They may surprise you and choose smaller items for themselves for the satisfaction of having blessed someone else.

I usually keep an eye on the dollar racks and clearance sections for little stocking stuffers. You have almost 3 weeks to find or make some little things.

As to the angels, that is hard. Since the gifts are not something you can easily provide, would it be possible to take them back and possibly exchange for ones that are better suited for where you are this year, items you can craft, etc. If you do decide to keep the original angels, shop smart. Honestly Goodwill is not my first stop since I can frequently find new clothes for the same price. The clearance racks at Walmart, Ross's, Rugged Warehouse, Marshalls, etc. I don't know where you live but if you are Mid-Atlantic, find a Gabriel Brothers store. They have new seconds and overstocks for clothing and housewares. Just a few ideas. HTH

Definitely take the angels back. Since it was the first Sunday that the tree was up I'm willing to bet that a lot of people that will participate just haven't picked an angel up yet. For stocking stuffers visit the dollar store or Target dollar bins. Check out pinterest too, for stocking ideas.

Take the angel tree participants back. At our tree, they encourage spending $30-$50 a gift. They really want things to be "Even" among all the receivers. IF your kids have their own money and want to participate, then they can take care of the angel they chose. but it isn't fair to THEM if you can't spend the expected amount. Better to have them "left on the tree" for others to take who can handle providing Christmas for them.

Call the church. This can't be the first time this has happened!

OR if the kids want to participate, could you handle buying for 1 if you didn't do little things or stocking stuffers? Maybe they would prefer that?

Yes, please take the angels back. Don't feel guilty about it. Explain to your kids that you aren't in a position to help them right now, and it wouldn't be fair of you to keep the names, if someone else truly can help! This thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/442139-what-do-you-do-when-theres-nothing-to-spend-on-christmas/page__hl__christmas?do=findComment&comment=4504668 has some great suggestions for little or no cost presents.

Thank you all for kind suggestions. I was frantic because they said the lady was coming back this Sunday to pick up the items, so there isn't time to return them. We did go to the Dollar Tree today and found them all really nice scarves so that's a start. I'll try to contact a member to see if we could have more time, but if not, I will keep looking tomorrow for great deals.

Old Navy/Aeopostale/Crazy Eight are all having huge sales on tshirts - like $5/shirt. For the kids that requested clothes a cute shirt with a cute scarf would be great.

JcPenny also had a lot of things on sale - $3-$5 dollars for trendy shirts.

I would be returning some of the names but if that isn't an option I hope that gives you some ideas.