Menu

Is it me or do the boards seem less active since the changeover?

HappyGrace

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give us a week or so to address some of these issues--we agree with you about some of these things!

For a number of technical reasons, this software was a better fit than VBulletin, which is *not* (in everyone's opinion) "the best" out there.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I will await developments. No hurry. I am wishing you the ability to pretend for the duration of the holiday that we all love the new board so you can all have a happy, relaxed Thanksgiving.

Nan

What is hybrid mode? I don't understand the issue?

Me too, I have no idea what hybrid mode was.

On the previous board, one could read threads in a couple of ways. I preferred the linear mode--essentially the posts came up in the order they were made. There was also a threaded mode which allowed viewers to see comments connected to a previous post in a list (think of the first WTM board). Readers could click on the post in the list to read it. Quite honestly, since I did not use them, I am not sure what the differences were between the threaded and hybrid versions but I do know that some people felt that these modes helped organize the conversations when tangential sub-conversations occurred.

Sorry--I have done a stinking job explaining this. I know that Nan liked the hybrid mode since she is a visual person who preferred to keep the sub-conversations in their own compartments. The disconnect of the linear posts bothers her.

I have been smacked upside the face today with the knowledge that every. single. post. I have ever made on these forums -- pro/con a curriculum, about myself, about my family, about politics/religion/current events, days I've encouraged others, days that I've needed encouragement -- is the property of PHP and subject to Google searches for the rest of forever.

This is nothing new, but It has given me a great deal of heartburn this morning. I am now absolutely sure that some idiotic remark I made five years ago will ruin my children's chances of getting into a college or getting a good job. And there is nothing I can do about it. Yeah, I am feeling particularly disinclined to comment on anything at all, ever.

Yeah.....especially from my burnout years when Mom was dying.....sigh. Not happy!!

I am afraid my responses will be very sparse....and few & far between ....

Yep....disinclined is the word......sigh

:iagree:

To me, it's like the difference between a college text, where the content is the focus, and a middle school text, which is all colors and highlights, and the actual message is dwarfed. The new format is very "Facebooky" to me. I suspect that people who spend a lot of time on Facebook will like the format, and those who dislike Facebook (including me) will spend less time here. I predict more hanging out & socializing and fewer serious discussions.

Jackie

This!

I had already started posting less before the change. I am no longer homeschooling and had just stayed around because I was part of the community but I think that I will be posting a lot less now. I am technologically challenged and the learning curve (especially with bugs and sluggish response) is simply more than I am willing or able to handle right now. I will miss the people here but it is a season's of life sort of thing and I think it is time for me to move on. I will drop in occassionally, probably more at first and then less as time goes by but I just don't think that I will be the active participant that I used to be. I think others may do the same. I was here ten years ago when we had a few hundred people on the old board, and still in 2008 when we changed to the new board to accommadate thousands because it still felt like a community. A couple million is more of a civilization than a community and I am already part of a civilization. I don't need to join another one. Instead I find myself retreating to a smaller comunity at this time in my life. :sad:

Not having the hover feature is definitely slowing my activity. (I think they are going to add it back though! Yea!)

I didn't realize how much time it saved to find threads I was actually interested in. Now, I just don't have time even to preview every single thread so I quickly lose interest. I think if hover was back I would feel ok.

:iagree:

To me, it's like the difference between a college text, where the content is the focus, and a middle school text, which is all colors and highlights, and the actual message is dwarfed. The new format is very "Facebooky" to me. I suspect that people who spend a lot of time on Facebook will like the format, and those who dislike Facebook (including me) will spend less time here. I predict more hanging out & socializing and fewer serious discussions.

Jackie

Hey Jackie, I had not thought about it that way and sure hope it isn't the case. SWB is pretty thoughtful and I would imagine the change was probably necessary. WE could get so much traffic on the old forum that we could pull it down, right? My FB account has something like 12 friends and they are all from here. I never tied it into family and I seldom use it because it offends my graphic sensibilities.

I think we'll still get to the serious discussions. Joan in Geneva and Janice have been twisting my poor little brain this way and that over on the high school board, so I am hopeful. We just need a few more participants. :D

Login and pages loading have been very quick for me. However, I realized tonight that some of the glitches are related to browsers or maybe operating systems, I am not sure. In Windows 8 and Mozilla, I have to leave the page in order to move from personal messages back into a forum. No problem with that on Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.

Frankly, Windows 8 causes me to use much worse language more frequently than this board does.

There have been several times in the last couple of years I have felt really resistant to new things. When my email changed format I was miserable! I'm still using Office 2003 because I can't stand working on 2010. But, I don't like that about myself. I don't want to be the person who gripes everytime something changes about how it used to be, then ends up working on systems from 10 years ago because I refuse to upgrade.

There is definitely a learning curve and a period of being uncomfortable with something when it is new. That period is yuck! But for myself, I have to purposely override the tendency to flee from it and force myself to go through the uncomfortableness until I become comfortable again. Because I always do become comfortable again!

I am not referring to addressing the glitches or missing features, which of course need to be addressed. Just to the tendency to avoid the general newness and the unfamiliar. It's easy to come up with a hundred reasons not to like something new. For me it's better just to plow through it until it feels ok again.

This is just my personal feeling! I can see why others might not want to take the time.

*sigh* I guess I really should upgrade my Office.....