Menu

Is it me or do the boards seem less active since the changeover?

HappyGrace

The general board used to move like crazy! Posts would get buried quickly, etc.

Maybe people just aren't used to the new format first and aren't posting as much yet? Maybe because it's taking more time to post due to the slowness of the forum speed?

I know I am not replying in as many threads due to not having the hover feature-I just don't have the time to open every thread to see if I can answer it or not.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to respond about the hover feature...we do still have the ability to preview threads. If you go to the right of the thread title, an arrow will show up. Click on the arrow and it will show you a preview of the thread. Not as nice as the hover feature (IMO) but at least the option is still there!

I think it is just going to take some time to get the speed back up! Plus I am spending a lot of time learning and understanding what is and is not happening. I really miss the status updates though. Those were a blast last night!!!! :D I hope they are back soon!

Yes busy, but actually I think some of us are busy trying to understand the whole FB thing. I wasn't comfortable posting anything till I understood that more. Go read the FB threads. There are several settings you need to fix if a separation between your FB and WTM accounts matter to you. Turns out there's also a browser extension (Disconnect, and another Collusion if you want) that you can add to help with the tracking. Anyways, that's where the dust-up is right now, with the FB issue.

BTW, the down arrow preview thing is horribly slow. The rest of the website is finally moving, but that kept scrolling. Someday it will all work, lol.

Yes busy, but actually I think some of us are busy trying to understand the whole FB thing. I wasn't comfortable posting anything till I understood that more. Go read the FB threads. There are several settings you need to fix if a separation between your FB and WTM accounts matter to you. Turns out there's also a browser extension (Disconnect, and another Collusion if you want) that you can add to help with the tracking. Anyways, that's where the dust-up is right now, with the FB issue.

BTW, the down arrow preview thing is horribly slow. The rest of the website is finally moving, but that kept scrolling. Someday it will all work, lol.

I can open the entire thread in the time the preview arrow takes, so that isn't really helping much. I really loved hovering and being able to see the first line, especially with threads where the title is vague.

I missed the whole facebook thing. Guess I need to check into that.

I have been smacked upside the face today with the knowledge that every. single. post. I have ever made on these forums -- pro/con a curriculum, about myself, about my family, about politics/religion/current events, days I've encouraged others, days that I've needed encouragement -- is the property of PHP and subject to Google searches for the rest of forever.

This is nothing new, but It has given me a great deal of heartburn this morning. I am now absolutely sure that some idiotic remark I made five years ago will ruin my children's chances of getting into a college or getting a good job. And there is nothing I can do about it. Yeah, I am feeling particularly disinclined to comment on anything at all, ever.

Oh Shari, a lot of us have been worried today too! But you know I think with the google searches at least it's not connected directly and easily and whiz bang automatically to your actual personal identity. I don't *think* you have an issue there. The FB thing is different. If you go to the FB thread, there are several changes you have to make to kill that connection. Then, after you've tweaked that stuff in FB, go delete all your cookies and download the Disconnect and Collusion software. That way you can tell who is tracking you and block the rest. It will block google as well as FB and others. So that takes care of the rest. At that point you can rest a little more easily.

You always knew you weren't anonymous. It's just that these connectors are making it easier for even laypeople (not just hackers) to see connections. But there are steps we can take to chill it. It's going to be FINE. Your dc will be FINE. They will get into college FINE. Our cookies and pie will still be good this week. The world will still go on. There's just a bit of learning curve for us with this new technology. :grouphug:

I am trying to be open minded, but some of the changes (esp. the colors) are irritating.

:iagree:

To me, it's like the difference between a college text, where the content is the focus, and a middle school text, which is all colors and highlights, and the actual message is dwarfed. The new format is very "Facebooky" to me. I suspect that people who spend a lot of time on Facebook will like the format, and those who dislike Facebook (including me) will spend less time here. I predict more hanging out & socializing and fewer serious discussions.

Jackie

I've had problems with speed. pages load very slowly and end up with errors. then there are posting problems where it appears to time out and not post, but you refresh and end up with a double post. I expect there are still debugging issues and it will take a bit to get back to normal.

:iagree:

To me, it's like the difference between a college text, where the content is the focus, and a middle school text, which is all colors and highlights, and the actual message is dwarfed. The new format is very "Facebooky" to me. I suspect that people who spend a lot of time on Facebook will like the format, and those who dislike Facebook (including me) will spend a less time here. I predict more hanging out & socializing and fewer serious discussions.

Jackie

This is a good analogy. I feel the same way. Have we been dumbed down?? ;)

i replied, it disappeared.

I have yet to see anything w/the new format that's an improvement from the user perspective.

Not happy at all.

Well there actually is one improvement/change I like. When you hit the new posts button it takes you to a page that has more filtering options. That's nice. And I like the little teardrop beside the new posts button that lets you quick jump to the other boards. But yeah, while I hate to slam anyone's expense and effort, it's pretty much a bust for me. There's something screwy about the way it's formatted now too, really wide. Keeping my browser the same size I've always kept it, and zooming in the way I always need to to be able to see the font and not have it so dinky, it's now too wide. Wasn't a problem with the old boards. There's a lot of space wasted on the left with the username, picture junk. And the stuff you need to see quickly (and not forget to notice) like the date of the original post or what board it's on is sometimes small or harder to find.

Oh, and I do like the little things that pop up telling you stuff, even though I haven't a clue what they are or what to do with them, lol.

The server can not handle this slow load, with few posters (compared to the number of members previously on and posting at any given time) already, I don't see a point to bother trying to get it moving again. So much hassle to open a thread, read the replies, you go to read the next page and get a backend server error, go to post a reply which doesn't work repeatedly and then you have 5 of the same comment. I do not see how hammering out some glitches will suddenly make the server able to handle the load it used to. I know John is working on a lower contrast color scheme. I hope it is actual colors and not just a dulled down version of this. People are hesistant to post with the fb linking happening. I understand this was to be an upgrade but I think you are going to see a large turn over of who the regular posters are, because the regular posters are seeing this as a downgrade. Those who only lurked will not care one way or the other, and new posters will not know better. But those of use that posted for years without an issue are not seeing this as a positive change at all. It will be some time before the boards ever pick up to where they were, if they do. I know that if the glitches aren't overwith by the end of the holiday week many won't bother continueing to try. I know that this particular platform is known to have long term glitchiness(as those that went through the same change at SL can attest to). I do not see this board having the vibrancy it once had, but would be pleased as punch to be wrong about that.

I just wanted to respond about the hover feature...we do still have the ability to preview threads. If you go to the right of the thread title, an arrow will show up. Click on the arrow and it will show you a preview of the thread. Not as nice as the hover feature (IMO) but at least the option is still there!

Personally I won't be visiting as much without the hover feature -- the dropdown feature is really not helpful, because it takes just as long as opening the thread.

Would you mind linking to the post please - I can't find it on a search.

I have yet to see anything w/the new format that's an improvement from the user perspective.

Not happy at all.

I totally agree. I posted a relpy yesterday and it never posted. I have been on WTM boards since way back when and this is a big dissapointment. I do use facebook but I don't like this format AT ALL.

Susan in TX

Not happy at all.

I totally agree. I posted a relpy yesterday and it never posted. I have been on WTM boards since way back when and this is a big dissapointment. I do use facebook but I don't like this format AT ALL.

Susan in TX

Can someone post a link that explains what you are referencing here about FB? Thanks! I tried to do a search and couldn't find anything.

I don't mind change, the format doesn't bother me much. I hate that the hover feature is gone, the preview feature takes so long to load I mine as well just open the thread.

I am having much dificulty opening threads, the pages load so slowly and several of my replies never post. Hopefully the bugs will be worked out soon..... or I will not be bothering to come here as often.

Hmmmm.....was the upgrade done to weed me out? lol.

I remember when we changed from the OLD old format to the one we just had, and it took us all some time to adjust to it. But that was a definite upgrade from the previous one. I'm worried that this one (despite everyone on the transition team's hard work) will never quite be right because SL uses this format and it's awful.

I don't mind the actual look of the format though (page layout, etc.) Just that the whole format in general is known to be glitchy. And I agree about the hover feature-if we can't get that, I just won't be able to be involved in as many threads due to time constraints-I know about the preview but it takes too much time.

I hope it all works out!

I've been busy personally but when I have tried to come on the speed and errors are highly annoying. I'm not a big fan of the upgrade either, to be honest. It reminds me of the Mothering forum which I used to post to quite frequently, it never seemed to pick up after the last big upgrade either. I'm not a facebook fan either and if this is now just some tag along or such to facebook posts or something I'm not real keen on that either. I'm not exactly understanding what all that means as I'm not on there but I'll be highly annoyed if it is one of those things where I have to be on facebook to have the full functionality of the board or such.

It's realllllllllly slow for me. My posts don't show up half the time. I hate the fb connect. I'll need to figure that out. And honestly, I am thankful for the hard work people put in to the changes, but I don't like it. It reminds me of when MDC switched over to this format. I really, really like the old format and so do most people I've talked to.

I know that this particular platform is known to have long term glitchiness(as those that went through the same change at SL can attest to). I do not see this board having the vibrancy it once had, but would be pleased as punch to be wrong about that.

Well I'm a die-hard, have loved being here for years, and can't fathom that a week of problems kills everything off. There's no where to go (that I know of) anyway. But why they decided to use the system SL used is beyond me. I haven't heard the whole story there, but seriously was a change to this software part of their demise? They had a lot of other stuff going on, yes, but was this software part of that change?

I can't even pinpoint why, novice that I am, but to me the boards have lost their homeyness, their small, easiness. It has turned into this production where you're part of a cog. (run the wheels of all this technology)

Well I'm a die-hard, have loved being here for years, and can't fathom that a week of problems kills everything off. There's no where to go (that I know of) anyway. But why they decided to use the system SL used is beyond me. I haven't heard the whole story there, but seriously was a change to this software part of their demise? They had a lot of other stuff going on, yes, but was this software part of that change?

I can't even pinpoint why, novice that I am, but to me the boards have lost their homeyness, their small, easiness. It has turned into this production where you're part of a cog. (run the wheels of all this technology)

With SL there was so much going wrong that impacted it as a company in a bad way but as far as the boards go, first was the charging for membership, which limited it's members but then when they switched to this platform and it's longterm glitchiness (not just a week but ongoing for months) yes it is the reason those boards are not what they were. In that case most people got fed up and there is no way they would pay for a site that didn't even work right. But honestly with that level of glitchiness I doubt it would have bounced back even if free. I get that there is bugs to work out when first starting a new platform, most people can handle a week, or the odd time or two later, but for months on end? um no The same is true for MDC, it used to be an extremely active site. Not anymore. They switched to this platform too and again it never worked right and people stopped coming to post and that is a free site.

I love the hive I do not want to see it go that way, but this is not a good platform. It kills active forums imo because it has so many issues. People want to give it a chance but those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it right...in this case history proves this particular platform is nothing but trouble