Menu

Comfort shoes

I understand. I have fat calves too. Boot's don't fit me. There are a pair of winter boots I'd love. but I don't live in subzero snow country so I can't justify it as I wouldn't wear them much. (that I have purchased three pair for children who spent winter's in subzero snow country doesn't count. they all have a different shoe size.)

How often will you wear the boots? if you'll get use out of them, and it wouldn't be a financial hardship - go for it. after all, how hard is it to find boots that fit? are they comfortable?

If you'll only wear them once or twice before summer, I'd probably resist the splurge.

I also want to see them!

If you need rationalizing, remember that a pair of boots that costs twice as much as other boots but will also last twice as long as cheaper boots because of higher quality really costs the same. Or something.

:iagree: and my friends will tell you I am frugal, frugal, frugal. But with leather boots, you get what you pay for.

Will you wear them for years?

these are the boots I want. I bought a more plain version for three kids (re: cheaper) - they last forever (my girls used theirs for four winters and they are in great condition) and are rated to -20. very comfy. I have their moccasins.

but we don't get snow . . . . maybe a trip to churchill. . . . .

Those are great boots. I don't know the brand but if it is a quality brand, they are probably worth it. I tend to think of $200 as a "baseline" for boots. Much cheaper and I wonder why. More expensive I'd be willing to consider if I knew I was getting my money's worth.

What is your "shoe personality"? Do you tend to have a few pairs you love and really wear or will you want different boots next year? If the former, and you have the money, I'd go for it.

You should definitely buy those boots!

1. They fit! How often do you find boots that fit??? (I have trouble finding boots that fit, too, and I just jumped on a pair of black leather Keens that fit perfectly. Do not pass up a pair of boots that fit!!!)

2. You love them and they're gorgeous. Boots that fit and are gorgeous (as opposed to "functional" or "good enough" or whatever) are rare.

3. Fryes last forever. Seriously. You will still be rocking those boots when you're 80.

4. It looks like the straps are removable, so if for some reason straps on boots are totally "out" in 10 years, just take them off. The main style of the boot is timeless and will never go out of style.

5. If you figure you'll be wearing them for at least the next 20 years, that works out to less than $19/year. What a bargain! :D

Jackie

I prefer a shorter shaft on the Frye boots, so earlier this year, I treated myself to these:

In a word? Awesome. A good friend has a similar pair, with the higher shaft. She calls them her go-to shoes for the apocalypse. I have worn them to the CSO and the horse farm and everywhere in between, and I would wear them for the apocalypse, too. *wry grin* Wonderful shoes, an investment that was worth every penny plus overnight shipping.

I prefer a shorter shaft on the Frye boots, so earlier this year, I treated myself to these:

frye%2Bboots.jpgIn a word? Awesome. A good friend has a similar pair, with the higher shaft. She calls them her go-to shoes for the apocalypse. I have worn them to the CSO and the horse farm and everywhere in between, and I would wear them for the apocalypse, too. *wry grin* Wonderful shoes, an investment that was worth every penny plus overnight shipping.

Those are gorgeous. I like the lower shaft as well. I wear mostly skirts, and I thought the taller boots would work better. btw, thanks for the website. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

http://www.thefryecompany.com/womens-boots/view-all/77233-1/jane-14l-stitch-extended

LOVE But I don't think they will fit my calves. They don't have these at the store, so I can't try them on. :(

They are available on Amazon, though. I often "try shoes on" with them because they pay for return shipping. In other words, hassle-free returns -- at least with Prime. Ditto with Zappos.

http://www.thefryecompany.com/womens-boots/view-all/77233-1/jane-14l-stitch-extended

LOVE But I don't think they will fit my calves. They don't have these at the store, so I can't try them on. :(

I think the shaft circumference is bigger than the first pair, isn't it?

You could order from Zappos and send them back if them don't fit.

I saw several of that style on ebay.

JAWM was supposed to mean Don't Buy Them! lol

Lotta help you people are.

I wondered about the straps...never thought about taking them off, if necessary.

This JAWM notice did not really work. :tongue_smilie:

You could always sell them in a few years. Most of the used Frye boots on ebay are selling for over $250.

I think the shaft circumference is bigger than the first pair, isn't it?

You could order from Zappos and send them back if them don't fit.

I saw several of that style on ebay.

It is! I'm shaking. I just called dh. He was laughing at me; said "Merry Christmas!"

Now which ones? The Jane extended or the Melissa Button?

Should I do a poll?

ETA Exended means for wide calves. :) Now I can't decide between these and the Melissa Button style. I like the higher heel.

What about the Jackie Button, similar to Melissa but with a heel.

What about the Jackie Button, similar to Melissa but with a heel.

LOVE the Jackie, but I can see that will not fit. I can only look at extended, if I want a higher shaft. I think Jane it is.

I would like to thank people for not saying, "What a shallow jerk you are! People are starving and you want boots??" It's OK if you thought it, I just appreciate you didn't post it. :)

I was sick for a week when dh bought me an iPad for my birthday 2 years ago. I am going to stuff this down, stop shaking and think, "You're helping to keep Americans employed with this purchase."

Edited by LibraryLover

LOVE the Jackie, but I can see that will not fit. I can only look at extended, if I want a higher shaft. I think Jane it is.

I got off track looking at all the pretty boots.:D

I have big calves. I think of them as "dance" calves.

I need to find somewhere to go try Frye boots on.

I think you should buy them . . . . :leaving:

But, I want a picture!

:iagree:

As someone else with "athletic calves" and otherwise temperamental feet (super high arch, very narrow heal, wider than average near my toes...) I'm a big believer that one should buy comfy shoes the moment one comes across them.

ETA:

Now that I've read the rest of the replies and seen the pretty, pretty boots (Why am I suddenly feeling all Gollum-like inside??!?)... my initial opinion still stands.

Buy them. Wear them. Do it for all of us that currently can't!

(And, personally, though I'm generally a "short boot" girl I really love the original ones that you linked. But I've also been lusting after a nice pair of "tall" boots for a while now.)

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

Can't wait to see which ones you choose.

I did the whole covet a pair of boots this time last year. The week before Christmas, dh and I found a pair I loved on SALE. Merry Christmas to me!

I have LOVED them. Any day it's even remotely cool enough I'm rocking the boots with skinny pants. Love...

May you and your boots enjoy many years together...

I would like to thank people for not saying, "What a shallow jerk you are! People are starving and you want boots??" It's OK if you thought it, I just appreciate you didn't post it.

Regarding the above and the more recent post that you'd prefer we didn't quote... The idea that one can't celebrate achievements or satisfy a desire (and celebrate that, too) because it might "hurt someone's feelings" is so wearying.

You're allowed to relish this purchase. Enjoy! And good thoughts re: the other note, too!