Menu

beautiful cursive-- which program is prettiest

Papillon Mom

I love the way Barchowsky Fluent Hand looks. But I went with Getty-Dubay Italics, because it looks pretty, yet practical, and the book was more easily available to me.

...reminds me of calligraphy, but very easy strokes, very similar to printed letters with just a few serifs, and not fussy IMO

:iagree:

Edited by nansk
Agreeing with a pp

IMO: the one with which your child will have the most success.

In other words, however pretty the font, if it is difficult or cumbersome for your child, his/her end result won't be beautiful. I'd start out with whichever you feel will give your child the most success and then if you wish, switch to a more attractive font later on.

In other words, however pretty the font, if it is difficult or cumbersome for your child, his/her end result won't be beautiful.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I really wanted DD to learn Peterson but eventually settled for ugly-but-legible New American Cursive from MP. The look of it makes me :ack2: but DD picked it up in 3 weeks flat after a year struggling with Peterson.

I think the prettiest ones are the hardest to learn. I'd go with something more simple. My top favs are LoE, McRuffy , and New American Cursive. If you want something more loopy I'd go with Pentime.

These sites might help. Chart of styles (scroll over each name for samples to pop). Handwriting Comparison Chart.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I really wanted DD to learn Peterson but eventually settled for ugly-but-legible New American Cursive from MP. The look of it makes me :ack2: but DD picked it up in 3 weeks flat after a year struggling with Peterson.

Really? I like the look of NAC.

In other words, however pretty the font, if it is difficult or cumbersome for your child, his/her end result won't be beautiful. I'd start out with whichever you feel will give your child the most success and then if you wish, switch to a more attractive font later on.

:iagree: We use Cursive First, but I admit to being a little free with how some of the capital letters are made. (What's up with NAC's F & T?)

My husband & I make different looking capital Fs. Which one my kids make depends on which one of us taught them the letter first. ;-)

As long as it is legible, I don't particularly care which style. And everyone has a different idea of beautiful. Just get 'er done!

I think I'm going to go with is program, starting with manuscript. I wasn't happy with HWOT.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Handwriting+Skills+Simplified+Level+C/006844/aae3d390ec5e293366f8fb95

We're currently using Book A from this (it uses the simplified Zaner-Bloser style). I'm currently debating whether to continue on with this cursive next year or NAC (which I'm leaning towards)...

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I tried HWoT cursive but it was going a bit fast for ds when we tried it. This year I started dd on Logic of English - Foundations and went with the cursive workbook, I'm having ds do the writing worksheets at the same time. It is going really well for him. It is very slow paced as it is a kindergarten program but right now I'm more concerned that he learns it well and not just quickly. Writing has been such a struggle I'm happy to see him make such beautiful progress, no matter how slow.

I love the A Beka cursive. Fairly easy, each letter legible on it's own. A little old fashioned.

I do not like HWT. The r's! Argh!

The cursive I learned in school is very much like the A Beka, which is probably why I am more partial to it. They still use the old fashioned Q, but I don't make my kids if they don't wish to. Also, A Beka has handwriting stuff from Kindergarten on, so I was able to get age-appropriate stuff for my first grader who needed to do cursive now and not wait until 3rd grade.

you like this?

Sorry, I just saw this...

Yes, I like it well enough. It's nothing fancy, but I just decided that my own "homemade" penmanship lessons weren't cutting it for my oldest (who insists on starting letters from the bottom-up, etc). We haven't been using it long enough to see drastic changes, but I'm hopeful.

Book A (all manuscript) starts at the basics: tracing circles, drawing lines from the top-down, horizontal lines from left-to-right, diagonal lines. Then it progresses to copying/writing letters and then 3- and 4-letter words.

Sorry, I just saw this...

Yes, I like it well enough. It's nothing fancy, but I just decided that my own "homemade" penmanship lessons weren't cutting it for my oldest (who insists on starting letters from the bottom-up, etc). We haven't been using it long enough to see drastic changes, but I'm hopeful.

Book A (all manuscript) starts at the basics: tracing circles, drawing lines from the top-down, horizontal lines from left-to-right, diagonal lines. Then it progresses to copying/writing letters and then 3- and 4-letter words.

Thanks! I just ordered it and hope to get it in next week. My son can write well on a chalkboard or whiteboard, but he has trouble with spacing and such on paper. I think the strokes and the tracing will help him a lot. I just didn't find HWOT helped him much. He hated it.

Wow! Thanks so much for the great replies! I'm leaning toward Pentime even though it's religious. It seems like the easiest-prettiest one.

Thanks again,

We're happy with Pentime. It is very pretty. I have my kids copy different poems or writings if I find the text too mennonitish. I think my older, more sarcastic/jaded daughter gets a kick out of the sappy copywork about the joy of obedience. I don't care as long as they have nice handwriting.

I love the A Beka cursive. Fairly easy, each letter legible on it's own. A little old fashioned.

I do not like HWT. The r's! Argh!

The cursive I learned in school is very much like the A Beka, which is probably why I am more partial to it. They still use the old fashioned Q, but I don't make my kids if they don't wish to. Also, A Beka has handwriting stuff from Kindergarten on, so I was able to get age-appropriate stuff for my first grader who needed to do cursive now and not wait until 3rd grade.

We love A Beka too (for cursive anyway). It was easy to teach and not too time consuming plus the results are beautiful. At least for my dd