Menu

What are some family games that can include the little ones?

I find lots of games that are good for older kids can actually be played and enjoyed by younger ones - if they are exposed to them enough and have a desire to play by the rules.

We play lots of board games here. Many of them require lots of rules to learn - but very little math skills outside very basic small number addition. (Unless totally the final score at the end which can be lots of numbers to add together - in which case we get Eldest to do it. :))

What happens often is that after seeing the game played a few times, and watching the game explained to other adults my kids get them. My eldest (age 8) can play any game we play. Youngest understands the rules for all games, but can't always come up with an acceptable strategy.

So if you younger ones want to learn a game, they can likely learn it regardless of the age recommendations on the box.

Right now my youngest (age 6) favorites games are:

Quarriors and Citadels

In the past his favorite games included:

StarFares of Catan, Descent the 2nd Edition (He wasn't very good at the game), The Great Dalmuti and Dixit.

I wouldn't recommend this show to kids without parents approving it first (Some episodes have, ... well the language can be not that great)

But two games featured on TableTop that little ones can easily learn and play include.

Dixit:

and

GetBit (Which is 1 of the 3 games featured on this episode of tabletop. Get Bit starts at 19:25)

Carcassone - A tile laying game that you and your little ones will enjoy. Modify the rules very slightly for the under eight crowd by playing without farmers.

Forbidden Island - A cooperative family game where everyone has to work together to save artifacts and race to get off the island before it sinks. Great art and lots of fun.

My littles play along with pretty much any board game. We either play in teams, change the rules for the littles, or have the olders play with a handicap. I can't think of any game where we can't figure out how to include the littles. Even my 2yo can usually hold the discard pile or something.

I wouldn't recommend this show to kids without parents approving it first (Some episodes have, ... well the language can be not that great)

But two games featured on TableTop that little ones can easily learn and play include.

Dixit:

and

GetBit (Which is 1 of the 3 games featured on this episode of tabletop. Get Bit starts at 19:25)

Do you watch Geek and Sundry Julie Smith!? :001_wub: See the new Flog today!? We got my son the game Gloom from Tabletop after seeing it there. Great teen game - fun!

The aMAZEing labyrinth is a great game for many ages.

Edited by kck

Our kids have all played, and enjoyed:

Carcassonne

Settlers of Catan

Survive; Escape from Atlantis

Dixit

Pirate or Zombie Fluxx

Castle Panic

Killer Bunnies

Sometimes the younger ones aren't able to fully understand the game, but they quickly learn the how of playing and enjoy throwing cards or tiles down. :-)

Do you watch Geek and Sundry Julie Smith!? :001_wub: See the new Flog today!? We got my son the game Gloom from Tabletop after seeing it there. Great teen game - fun!

The aMAZEing labyrinth is a great game for many ages.

Okay, I'll admit it. My hubby told me, "Geek and Sundry" is the YouTube Channel that hosts TableTop. (He is the one that finds it and previews it, and if it's an acceptable episode for kids we all watch it on his computer together).

Oh, he said he watched the "Flog" and that a Flog was Felicia Day's Video Log.

See I learn something new everyday.

(Like yesterday I learnt how to happily. :P lose Seven Wonders to Eldest 2 times in a row)

I have played aMAZEing Labyrinth. But I can't remember which maze game that was. I admit we have 3 maze board games, and a friend has 4th. So I think I have tired pretty much every game with the word MAZE in the title.

If aMAZEing Labyrinth is the game with the magnets - then yes it's the neatest maze board game on the market. IMHO of course.

Dixit is a great game but younger children have trouble with the ability to make an abstract statement about the picture in their hand. Its either too literal or waayyy out there. Dixit is fun @10+. Faces is a game that would work. Its a lot like Apples to Apples, except with old pictures. :) Faces is also good with early or non-readers.

Games with Young Children (from younger-skewed to older-skewed):

Animal Upon Animal (a really, really fun balancing game)

Loopin' Louie (trying to get the airplane guy to pick up all of your discs)

Alfredo's Food Fight (flinging cloth meatballs at a spinning chef)

Uno (color matching, number matching, card game)

Skip-bo (making piles, order recognition, card game)

Sorry Sliders (sliding pieces...a bit like shuffleboard)

Incan Gold (press your luck treasure hunting game)

Chateau Rocquefort (mice go around a board seeking cheese matches, mice can drop through holes)

For Sale (buying and selling funny houses to make the most profit, easy card game, fun)

Bohnanza (trading game, fun and easy card game)

Coloretto (making matching piles of colored lizards)

Zooloretto (collecting animals for a zoo)

Bombay (youngest will need pointers or suggestions)

Fistful of Penguins (dice rolling, keeping sets of animals)

Cartagena (pirates escaping prison)

Fluxx (continually changing rules and goals but young ones can be guided through)

Ticket to Ride (building railroads with colored sets of cards)

Castle Panic (cooperative fighting against a castle seige by orcs)

King of Tokyo (giant monsters fighting each other for Tokyo-dice rolling)

Bang! (spaghetti western card game)

With a mature 6 year old you can really do a lot, especially if they are open to helping or tips while you play. I pulled out ones I know will work with most 6 year olds. There are many adult games I've played with my sons at that age, as long one of us helped them along (or shuffled for them). Co-operative games (Flash Point, Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Castle Panic) work especially well with a wide age range because everyone is working together.

Edited by LostSurprise

Dixit is a great game but younger children have trouble with the ability to make an abstract statement about the picture in their hand. Its either too literal or waayyy out there. Dixit is fun @10+. Faces is a game that would work. Its a lot like Apples to Apples, except with old pictures. :) Faces is also good with early or non-readers.

I'm not sure if it's considering cheating. But Eldest and Youngest would get together and discuss the cards and come up with stories and reasons why "X" card matches the description of "Y". For example that the card with a picture of a dragon is Smog due to the name of the dragon in The Hobbit.

Games with Young Children (from younger-skewed to older-skewed):

Animal Upon Animal (a really, really fun balancing game)

Loopin' Louie (trying to get the airplane guy to pick up all of your discs)

Alfredo's Food Fight (flinging cloth meatballs at a spinning chef)

Uno (color matching, number matching, card game)

Skip-bo (making piles, order recognition, card game)

Sorry Sliders (sliding pieces...a bit like shuffleboard)

Incan Gold (press your luck treasure hunting game)

Chateau Rocquefort (mice go around a board seeking cheese matches, mice can drop through holes)

For Sale (buying and selling funny houses to make the most profit, easy card game, fun)

Bohnanza (trading game, fun and easy card game)

Coloretto (making matching piles of colored lizards)

Zooloretto (collecting animals for a zoo)

Bombay (youngest will need pointers or suggestions)

Fistful of Penguins (dice rolling, keeping sets of animals)

Cartagena (pirates escaping prison)

Fluxx (continually changing rules and goals but young ones can be guided through)

Ticket to Ride (building railroads with colored sets of cards)

Castle Panic (cooperative fighting against a castle seige by orcs)

King of Tokyo (giant monsters fighting each other for Tokyo-dice rolling)

Bang! (spaghetti western card game)

With a mature 6 year old you can really do a lot, especially if they are open to helping or tips while you play. I pulled out ones I know will work with most 6 year olds. There are many adult games I've played with my sons at that age, as long one of us helped them along (or shuffled for them). Co-operative games (Flash Point, Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Castle Panic) work especially well with a wide age range because everyone is working together.

If you (as in whoever is reading this) watched and liked the TableTop episodes I linked in a previous post. You can also watch TableTop episdoes featuring:

Ticket To Ride:

Castle Panic:

For a time, my boys liked, "King of Tokyo". It's a fun easy to learn game. You can see it here:

If you want a game most kids would think is funny you an try out "Poo". It was popular for awhile here just because you have to say things such as, "King Kong Poo" and "Grampa Poo". The theme of the game is you are monkeys throwing poo at each other, and the monkey who gets covered with 15? poos first is out of the game.

The first time my dh played this with Youngest he couldn't stop laughing.

Mind you the game can get old fast. So I wouldn't buy it if you (the adult) don't have enough kids to play it without you needing to be in the game.