Menu

S/O names thread-People that insist on using wrong name

Joshin

A- lane- a

Both "a"s being like the "a" in ball.

If you've got a long a sound in the middle, that's what most people do. It's pronounced Uh lah nuh.

I've seen spellings of Alaina and Alayna with the long a sound in the middle. I thought if I didn't spell it that way, it wouldn't get pronounced that way.

I considered Alanna or Alahna but figured she'd get called Uh LAN uh (short a), Alonna might have worked (The name does, after all, rhyme with Donna), but I figured that might get Uh lone uh from the phonetically challenged in my family (I had specific people in mind. :tongue_smilie: :lol:).

So I just stuck with Alana since it's nice and simple, and she corrects people. If she ever wanted to change the spelling, officially or otherwise, I'd be okay with that too. Somewhere in my teens I added an e to the end of my middle name. I found it kinda boring as it was (Ann).

If you've got a long a sound in the middle, that's what most people do. It's pronounced Uh lah nuh.

I've seen spellings of Alaina and Alayna with the long a sound in the middle. I thought if I didn't spell it that way, it wouldn't get pronounced that way.

I considered Alanna or Alahna but figured she'd get called Uh LAN uh (short a), Alonna might have worked (The name does, after all, rhyme with Donna), but I figured that might get Uh lone uh from the phonetically challenged in my family (I had specific people in mind. :tongue_smilie: :lol:).

So I just stuck with Alana since it's nice and simple, and she corrects people. If she ever wanted to change the spelling, officially or otherwise, I'd be okay with that too. Somewhere in my teens I added an e to the end of my middle name. I found it kinda boring as it was (Ann).

Sorry, I did have a long "a" in the middle. I have a tutorial student who spells it the same way you do, and pronounces it the way I showed you. I changed the way I spelled my name as a teen too :D.

One of our librarians is named "Kara" and pronounced "car uh", so people do pronounce it that way with that spelling. I happen to know the spelling of her name as I've known her since she was a baby. That said, if I didn't know how it was pronounced, I would have assumed "care uh".

DD 12 is "Alana". Care to guess how it's pronounced? I thought it was obvious, but apparently it's not. :confused:

I've only ever heard Alana with all short a's, but similar to what you write later, and that's from the Alana's themselves.

I think sometimes people choose names from lists that they've never heard. I still remember listening to an Yvonne who insisted that the Y be pronounced like the letter y, which technically is wrong, wrong, wrong as it's a French name and even most anglophones dont say it that, but since it's what her mother called her, was right, right, right for her. However, it would have helped her to know that her pronunciation was unusual so she could explain that to people.

I think it's just discourteous not to use someone's name the way they want it to be used.

I found it got better when I arbitrarily shortened their names in conversation. "Well Bi", "You're right Cat", "Good job Joh", etc.

:lol::lol:That was a great way to make your point.

;) Now, see, that's my pet peeve. Everyone insists on spelling my son's name the way you just did. We named him "Jonathan," straight out of the Old Testament and properly a derivative of "Nathan" (DH's name), and not of "John."

Jonathan is the only way I've seen that spelled, with a shortened version as Jon. John is a different name that most likely came from the French name Jean, which in French very nearly rhymes with John (not with seen they way it now is in English) but the J is pronounced the same as the s in treasure (they best way I've found to help Anglophones with no exposure to French to say that sound--I'm an anglophone as well, but hale from Canada). I suspect that Sean & Ian came from the same name as well, but have never done the research to see if I'm correct.

My name is Mandy. It isn't short for Amanda. However, I am not emotionally attached to my name. I don't feel it defines me as a person. It is just an easy label. As long as it isn't profane, I really don't care what people call me. Frankly, if I moved to another country where Mandy wasn't recognized as a name in the native language (and especially if it had meaning as a word), the first thing I would do is change my name.

Mandy (or Amanda or Fred or whatever) ;)

:D It's great to be so easy going about it, but I'm glad you also think that people should be called by the name they give, because for some of us, it does matter what we're called. I accept 3 pronunciations of my name as I mentioned (but not the 4th, which makes me cringe & isn't even correct).

Yes, dh's name is Joe, just plain Joe. He gets called Joseph a lot. His name gets written as Joseph a lot. The funny thing is, if his name was Joseph they would probably all want to call him Joe.

You're right.

Around here my name is often Jo King (yes, it's a bad pun and my names aren't even close to those IRL)

Well, it doesn't really bother me because I know Kara isn't necessarily common, but I get a lot of car-uh instead of kare-uh. Which I know is also a legitimate name... DH thinks it's weird, though, because in his mind car-uh would be spelled Cara, not Kara. But that's just his opinion. :D I can see where the mistake is made.

Though, when I introduce myself, I always get, 'Karen?' 'KarA' 'Carol?' Sigh... last week someone said 'Like Tara with a K?' "Yes' ...though how that is easier is beyond me? ;) :lol:

UGH. I LOATHE being called car-uh. My name is Kara...CARE-UH. I get the same thing, people call me Karen, Carrie, Carol, or any number of things, except my real name. While I understand that there are two pronunciations for my name, MY name is care-uh and I hate having to correct everyone all the time b/c I don't think my name is that unusual. Grr.

As for the Jenny thing, I have had a lot of friends over the years that go by Jenny including my first best friend (part of being born in the 70's and growing up in the 80's), so that isn't unusual for me. Even most people I know that are named Jennifer go by Jenny/Jennie, but someone that I went to elementary school with, and whose son ended up in the same class with my DS, goes by Jennifer, and that is what I call her. I tend to just call people by what they introduce themselves to me as. ;) My sister runs into that same problem, b/c her given name is Betsy which is a nickname for Elisabeth, but her name is just Betsy. My aunt's name is just Beth, same thing.

When DS was really young, we had a few people (including my mother) try to shorten Greyson to Grey, but I put a stop to that quickly and now no one calls him that. I don't like nicknames, I figure if you are going to call them that, why not just name them that to begin with? If we ever had a daughter, I would have wanted to name her Katherine or Caroline, and I would have called her that, and been upset with anyone that tried to shorten it. Why does everything have to be shortened to a nickname anyway??

My husband has a different problem. His given name is Geramé, sounds just like Jeremy. Some people just ask him to pronounce it, and on the rare occasion someone will pronounce it correctly, but guarantee almost everyone that tries to pronounce it calls him Germane. He doesn't even have an N in his name! LOL I have no idea where they get that from. It doesn't bother DH, though, b/c he is really laid back and stuff like that doesn't phase him.

Edited by somo_chickenlady

UGH. I LOATHE being called car-uh. My name is Kara...CARE-UH. I get the same thing, people call me Karen, Carrie, Carol, or any number of things, except my real name. While I understand that there are two pronunciations for my name, MY name is care-uh and I hate having to correct everyone all the time b/c I don't think my name is that unusual. Grr.

I can see people making that mistake if they read your name before you tell it to them if they've already know a Kara who pronounces it Car-uh. I can also see that someone on the phone could hear you wrong. I spell my first name on the phone before saying it now, because when I used to say Karin with an i I once got Kerin. :huh:

I have a perfectly common, although somewhat out dated name, as well as a very common nickname. I always use my nick name and the only question I ever get is if it ends with an 'i' or a 'y'. My last name however gets mangled on a regular basis.

My maiden name was one that no one could ever spell, and if they read it first, they couldn't pronounce it. It's why I changed my name when I got married. I totally understood, but it irked me anyway. The spelling was changed over the past few centuries with border crossings & it's not phonetic anywhere.

• 1 month later...

See, I have the exact opposite problem. My name is Jennifer. I introduce myself as Jennifer, I re-introduce myself as Jennifer. I correct people to Jennifer, but I am constantly called Jen or Jenny. Yes, it is in my email or online but that is because almost every variation of Jennifer is already taken online and I had to find "something". Typical conversations go like this:

Friend A (who I have know for a long time and have corrected) introduces me to a new friend as "Jen". I say "Hi, I'm Jennifer, pleased to meet you." New Friend responds with "nice to meet you too, Jen."

ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH.

Geographical hazard, perhaps? Aussies are too lazy to call anyone by their full name. It's funny watching the Anne of Green Gables movies where everyone seems to call everyone else by the longest names possible, lol.

People like to lengthen my name to Carolyn. It's Carol. My FIL (whom we have very little relationship with) insisted on calling one of my sons Nate. His name is Nathan. No one calls him Nate. People also insisted on shortening my oldest dd's name to Em (from Emily). I hate that, too. lol So far not too many people mess up my other two dc's names. Though my MIL insisted that she was completely unfamiliar with the name Lauren. :confused1:

My daughter almost always has her name mispronounced, and even though we went to the same doctor's office for at least 6 years, every time I would call to make an appointment, the receptionist would ask "How old is your son?" I don't have a son. I never have had. And it's marked very clearly on her chart that DD is female. She always has been female.

Luckily (?) for me, people mostly just misspell my name, though I've been called more names than I can keep track of. Apparently it's extremely difficult to remember what my name actually is. As long as I know they are talking to me and the name they are using isn't derogatory, I'll usually respond to it. (Sarah, Amy, Kate, Sharon, Toni, and Mandy are some of the names I've been called. A lot of them don't even make sense.)

Not quite the same thing, but I once had an older co-worker who INSISTED that my name, Denise, was actually a nickname for Diane and kept trying to call me Diane. ???????? This was even more confusing because there were already two REAL Dianes in the office, and finally my boss had to step in and insist this woman stop calling me Diane. She pretty much stopped talking to me after that. But that was a pretty strange office anyway :-)

Geographical hazard, perhaps? Aussies are too lazy to call anyone by their full name. It's funny watching the Anne of Green Gables movies where everyone seems to call everyone else by

the longest names possible, lol.

No this was back in the USA. I don't remember people doing it back in Canada, but I have some Canadian friends who I met in the US who always call me "Jen".

All of the kids' names are pronounced differently here, though. Spen-suh (Spencer), Zavi-uh (Ex-eh-vee-ur), Coe-dehl-ee-uh (Cor-dee-lee-uh), Law-ruh-lie (Lore-uh-lie)

All of the kids' names are pronounced differently here, though. Spen-suh (Spencer), Zavi-uh (Ex-eh-vee-ur), Coe-dehl-ee-uh (Cor-dee-lee-uh), Law-ruh-lie (Lore-uh-lie)

This was why we didn't use the name Isaiah, we'd say Eye-zay-uh and Aussie relatives would respond Is-eye-uh, that's a great name! Too confusing.

I always get called either Jennifer, Jeanette,Janine or Judy. Don't know how people get all these names from the perfectly simple name Jeannie. At a church I used to go to, one woman there always called me Loretta lol.

I could understand if people called me Jean or Gina (Jeana) but no one ever calls me those names just the above names.

Reading through the way names are spelled thread got me irked about my own name. My real name is Jenny, not Jennifer, yet many people insist on calling me Jennifer.

My daughter has a friend whose daughter's name is jenny - short for Genevieve - NOT Jennifer.

we have friends whose legal names are tom and tony. and one whose middle "name" is "r".

the only one I tolerated calling me by another name is an aunt who is mentally handicapped. she calls me krissy. I despise krissy. everyone get's an "e" on the end of their name, whether it has one or not. I had a teacher in school call me kris - I thought he was talking to someone else - that's not my name and never has been.

though unusual spellings/pronunciation does not get much sympathy from me. my brother named his daughter diana. nice straightforward name right? she was born in an english speaking country, he lives in an english speaking country so you'd assume it has an ENGLISH pronunciation. nope. spanish. then he get's mad when people pronounce with an english pronuciation. if he wanted the spanish pronucniation so badly, he could have spelled it "deanna".

I'd say "Hi, I'm Jenny. It's not short for Jennifer. My real name is just Jenny."

I'd think that that weird intro alone would be enough for most folks to remember you.

No one *ever* typed in my surname correctly until I figured out to start with, "There are no o's in my name."

And for some reason many on the west coast can't pronounce Moira (most efficiently remedied by, "Say 'oil.' OK, now say 'Moira. I'll love you forever if you can roll the 'r.'"). It's something I choose not to get bothered over.

No this was back in the USA. I don't remember people doing it back in Canada, but I have some Canadian friends who I met in the US who always call me "Jen".

Good thing you didn't name one Kara. ;) Care-uh isn't a name here, it's Car-uh with an accent!

my daughter's name is Leesa. you know LEE SA. not leeza. it is an S NOT Z. people still call her leeza.

i usually say it is a phonetic spelling of Lisa - which really should be pronounced Lie sa.

My sister's name is Leisa - pronounced like Lisa (Lee sah).

Our mother's cell phone reads her text messages to her, and when she gets one from my sis, it always pronounces it Leigh SAH, but really draws out and emphasizes the second syllable (Leigh SAAAHH!!!). Most interesting pronunciation I've heard yet... It pretty much just cracks us up every time. :lol: