Menu

Watched the Breakfast Club last night

I thought Judd Nelson looked very old and SCARY in that movie. But I also disliked the balding Luke Perry in Beverly Hills 90210.

:iagree:

I loved Some Kind of Wonderful.

Woohoo! I was just going to ask why no one had mentioned this gem :D. The Watts and Keith Kiss :svengo:!

Why do I have a niggling thought in me that the Judd Nelson character is there by choice (nothing else to do so he shows up at detention)? Is that a different movie?

At my school, there was a kid just like that character, except he really never did do anything bad. In our school, you could take morning detention -- had to show up at 6am until school started at 8:30. Or you could take afternoon detention. At morning detention, they had to feed you breakfast for some reason. Afternoon only got you juice. He (and later his little brother) went to morning detention every day for the breakfast. When we graduated, he was elected to be the person to speak for the students at benediction (long story on that campaign). He talked about how he did that for 4 years (went to a.m. detention) because then he'd be sure to get at least one meal a day. It was a long and humbling story, really. Good eye opener for a bunch of fairly WASPy working and middle class kids.

Whenever I see or hear of Judd Nelson, I think of him.

I can't remember what we've seen, but the first ones I can think of:

Weird Science

Back to the Future

War Games

Real Science

Try: 100 Greatest Movies of the 1980s

Ds 12 and I started to watch Weird Science. I was thinking, hmmm, old PG rating but I don't remember too many bad things. My ds was so uncomfortable within the first 10 minutes that I asked if he wanted me to turn it off. He emphatically said, "Yes!" :lol: Maybe a few more years.

Ds 12 and I started to watch Weird Science. I was thinking, hmmm, old PG rating but I don't remember too many bad things. My ds was so uncomfortable within the first 10 minutes that I asked if he wanted me to turn it off. He emphatically said, "Yes!" :lol: Maybe a few more years.

Yeah, we watched this last year, and skipped a few spots because it really was just over the top. :glare:

The Heathers

The last time I watched Sixteen Candles I was shocked by more than just the nude scene. Remember Jake Ryan talking to the geek about Caroline? "I've got Caroline in the bedroom right now, passed out cold. I could violate her ten different ways if I wanted to." Then the Geek takes her home and has sex with her in the car while she's drunk (off camera).

I saw Breakfast Club two years ago with my then 11-year-old boy. Yes it earns the "R" rating for many reasons. The most startling was when the Judd Nelson character was hiding under the desks and suddenly puts his face right between Molly Ringwald's legs (they showed his face right next to her crotch under the table).

Definitely preview it -- the language is really bad too. Creepy to think of John Hughes working with this very young cast and putting that language into the script.

Julie

My DH wants to show the kids Goonies, but like most 80's movies has serious bad language in it!

Oh, I was just thinking about this today! DD7 was watching a bad kids movie--something about a Dragonslayer?--and all I could think was, "Man, The Goonies has this movie beat by a mile!" Then I wondered if my selective memory is still in effect (it probably is) and whether I could let them watch The Goonies. I don't mind the language so much, but I know there was a scene where one of the older girls calls the older brother (was that Josh Brolin?) into a secluded spot in the cave...and I can't remember what happens! Do they just kiss?

Yes, I always love when I get ready to share a favorite movie with the kids only to discover I only watched the made for T.V. version! There have been a few, jumping up to turn the t.v. off moments. :tongue_smilie::001_huh:

I have this problem. I also have a the problem where my memory seems to edit out the racy parts of all those older movies. I let DD10 watch Clue, completely forgetting that one of the characters was a madam and that there was a scene where they all pretend they're fooling around to get the detective to leave. Uncomfortable, to say the least!

Oh, I was just thinking about this today! DD7 was watching a bad kids movie--something about a Dragonslayer?--and all I could think was, "Man, The Goonies has this movie beat by a mile!" Then I wondered if my selective memory is still in effect (it probably is) and whether I could let them watch The Goonies. I don't mind the language so much, but I know there was a scene where one of the older girls calls the older brother (was that Josh Brolin?) into a secluded spot in the cave...and I can't remember what happens! Do they just kiss?

Yeah, the older girl intended to kiss the older brother in the cave, but she ended up kissing the younger one by accident. Oh and then later she did kiss the older brother while they were in the water. But I don't recall their being much else in physical touch. I could be mistaken since these 80s movies seem to have some surprising scenes. The bad people were kind of scary. Sloth was really creepy looking. Language was definitely of the R-rated type. But I loved that movie. :)

Oooh.. how about scary? The Shining with Jack Nicholson. Good grief that scared the britches off of me! I was better off sticking with the Brat pack.

Also from the list that i liked:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Rain Man

Ghostbusters

Caddyshack

Author (I loved Dudley Moore)

I watched it a few years ago and it struck me as very 80s. It seemed pretty quaint and innocent. I mean, the lipstick trick? The angst over virginity? The kissing? But I sort of have a special place in my heart for those teen 80s movies. I need to watch Ferris Bueller again, and the other Molly Ringwald movies.

Highschoolers don't have angst over virginity anymore? Huh.

:confused:

I loved Some Kind of Wonderful.

That is one of my all time favorites too.

Love the Breakfast Club and anything John Cusak was in. Better off Dead is classic. One Crazy Summer was filmed where I live so, bonus there too.

I had a huge crush on Andrew McCarthy so St. Elmo's Fire was huge for me but I couldn't stand Estevez and his whole storyline and I can't stand Andie McDowell either.

My parents had no sense of inappropriate when we were teens, so Arthur and Stripes were regular fare, still love Arthur, not so much Stripes.

I saw Breakfast Club two years ago with my then 11-year-old boy. Yes it earns the "R" rating for many reasons. The most startling was when the Judd Nelson character was hiding under the desks and suddenly puts his face right between Molly Ringwald's legs (they showed his face right next to her crotch under the table).

Definitely preview it -- the language is really bad too. Creepy to think of John Hughes working with this very young cast and putting that language into the script.

Julie

I definitely forgot about some of these things. But I am not sure the cast was that young. Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall were 19 when it came out, Emilio Estevez and Ally Sheedy were 23, and Judd Nelson was 26.

Highschoolers don't have angst over virginity anymore? Huh.

:confused:

I was a high school student in the early 90s. No one talked the way those characters did about it. The tone of it struck me as 1950s-esque, not the idea that it's not something teens think about.

That is one of my all time favorites too.

Love the Breakfast Club and anything John Cusak was in. Better off Dead is classic. One Crazy Summer was filmed where I live so, bonus there too.

I had a huge crush on Andrew McCarthy so St. Elmo's Fire was huge for me but I couldn't stand Estevez and his whole storyline and I can't stand Andie McDowell either.

Oh, no, I can't stand Andrew McCarthy, or any movie with a Blaine in it!

I think I forgot Better off Dead on my list. I had to make DH watch it within the past year or so because he'd never seen it. When I told him "I want my TWO DOLLARS!" he just looked at me weird. :lol:

:confused: Did he grow up in another country? Was he raised in an electronics-free commune? How did he manage to get to adulthood without having seen this life-shaping movie?

:confused: Did he grow up in another country? Was he raised in an electronics-free commune? How did he manage to get to adulthood without having seen this life-shaping movie?

:lol: I'd never seen this movie till I got married, and dh had me watch it with him. But to be fair, I kinda did grow up in an electronics free environment--we never had tv channels for my entire childhood. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

No. No. I don't know. He actually had more access to t.v./movies growing up than I did - we had ONE channel on the farm soap operas and news :glare:. He was a city boy with access to cable. He is still much more of a t.v. and movie watcher than I am.

To be fair, he says I MUST watch Charlie and Chocolate Factory (old version) and Where the Red Fern Grows. He owns both. I still haven't watched them. I've read the books, so I see no need to watch the movies. :D

For me, the Brat Pack movies were just "ok". I loved St. Elmo's Fire though.

I remembered liking that one, too.

Then I re-watched it the other night.

That is a bad movie. Bad script. Bad acting. Very questionable actions on the part of one character that are portrayed in a cutesy, romantic way. Just pointless. I suspect there are good reasons why it's difficult to find for rental.

On the other hand, I really like The Breakfast Club. Yes, the characters are stereotypes, but that's kind of the point, right? It's not great cinema, but I think the performances are pretty good, and it definitely taps into a certain time of life for many people.