Menu

Calico Critters -worth the $?

They look soo cute, but they are pricey.

Amazon has deal now :buy one set, house, etc get one 50% off.

My little girls are 6&3 and just now beginning to enjoy playing Barbies, ponies etc together

I especially like the oakwood home.

Any opinions on these-before I order for Christmas?

Thanks in advance:D

My DD7 (almost 8) plays with the Calico Critters every. single. day. She got them for Christmas three years ago, and at first they weren't a big hit, but for the past year and a half or so, I can honestly say that not a single day has gone by without her using the critters.

Whether you want to deal with all of those itty bitty pieces is another matter, though...

My girls have 4-5 sets of them. I was desperate for ideas and so for a couple of years they got some from relatives. But they NEVER play with them. We also have playmobil, lego friends and caring corners and I think compared to those things the Calico Critters just don't have them same appeal for my girls.

DD loves them. Watch the Christmas sales as they are usually BOGO in some stores.

On a funny note- DD takes the clothes off of them and plays with them that way. One night in my non-glasses state I saw what looked to be a mouse in my kitchen floor near the cabinets. So I get a broom to beat it to death and realize the mouse is not moving from me. So in my mind, I think it must be a mouse that had gotten in some of the neighbors poison. Well after I whacked it, I discovered it was a naked hedgehog critter. They are the right size for a mouse especially when you don't have your contacts in or your glasses on.

DD loves them. Watch the Christmas sales as they are usually BOGO in some stores.

On a funny note- DD takes the clothes off of them and plays with them that way. One night in my non-glasses state I saw what looked to be a mouse in my kitchen floor near the cabinets. So I get a broom to beat it to death and realize the mouse is not moving from me. So in my mind, I think it must be a mouse that had gotten in some of the neighbors poison. Well after I whacked it, I discovered it was a naked hedgehog critter. They are the right size for a mouse especially when you don't have your contacts in or your glasses on.

Hahahahaha!!!:lol:

I think they are worth it if they are the only thing you have that is like it. I think they are wonderful, but we also have Polly Pocket, Playmobil, Legos Friends, Littlest Pet Shop, Barbies and what seems like a million other small figures. They do get played with, but they get mixed in with everything else that we have and I don't think they are favored in any way. Because of this, I don't think they are worth the money for our family. However, if it's the first think you're going to have like it and if you don't get all the other little figures that are marketed, I think they will get played with quite a bit. I hope my rambling made some sense:001_unsure:

Target carries a cheaper line of Calico Critter-like animals and accessories called Li'l Woodzeez. I like the Calico Critter animals better and we do have those, but we use them with Li'l Woodzeez furniture (inside a Fisher Price My First Dollhouse!). We have the kitchen/housekeeping set, the living room and nursery set, and the master bedroom and dining set. They came with lots of little accessories and are very cute. The only thing I don't like about them is the refrigerator door and oven doors don't open. They also have a bakery set, a schoolroom/playground set, a house for $25, and a few other things. They are worth checking out if you want to save some money.

Calico Critters have been totally worth it here. I think my daughter got her house at 4 and still comes back to it at 8 for periods of time. It probably depends on the child and what else you have in your house. She loves playmobil and legos too.

Well they are double the price here in Australia and I still buy them :D I think I regretted it a bit after opening the first box and realising how many tiny peices they had - seriously some were so small I couldn't even pick them up and put them together - my fingers were too big.

My DD plays with them a lot but I don't buy the houses - they don't seem to stay together that well or hold much furniture. I got my DD a big wooden dollhouse and she puts them in that.

My DD has the Little Woodzeeze as well - and also the Woodeeze house which is more durable and so is the furniture.

My DD likes to strip them naked as well which I hate because their clothes are not really made for many removals before they tear and they are hard to put back on.

Nevertheless -they gets lots of love here. My 3 yo likes them too but he is banned from playing because he breaks too many of the pieces - they can be quite fragile in a littles hands. I waited till my DD was 6 before I bought them.

My girls are 8 & 11, and still play with their Calico Critters almost daily. They create homes out of Magnatiles and cardboard. The critters that are 6 years old still look decent, although they're starting to lose some fur. My biggest suggestion is to use a dot of super glue on any tiny bow or button when you open a new set of animals. I've never been able to retie those teeny tiny bows.

My girls are 8 & 11, and still play with their Calico Critters almost daily. They create homes out of Magnatiles and cardboard. The critters that are 6 years old still look decent, although they're starting to lose some fur. My biggest suggestion is to use a dot of super glue on any tiny bow or button when you open a new set of animals. I've never been able to retie those teeny tiny bows.

That is a GREAT suggestion. OP, listen to this wise woman and save yourself hours of aggravation trying to re-tie those itty bitty bows!!

When I was a little girl I had Sylvan Family critters.

Fast forward 25 years and we moved to Japan. Lo and behold what do I see?? Sylvan Family is a current toy being sold and played with. We started collecting them for my dd. She still plays with them now at 11.

Calico Critters are the US version of the same thing. There are a few differences, but mostly cosmetic. They are made by the same people.

Having said that.... All of the Sylvan stuff I kept (a shoe box full) is perfect, slightly yellowed, but perfect. We'll be keeping Lori's.

About the price.... watch for sales. TRU puts them on sale often; BOGO and set combos. Amazon usually has good prices as well.

Kris

DD LOVED them and still has them. We just boxed them for her future family (2 very large boxes!). I loved them as a girl. They are actually from the line called Sylvanian Families There is a really great place to order more things from based in the UK called: http://www.sylvanianfamilies.com/. We ordered mostly smaller items that we couldn't get anywhere else. The shipping is too high on the large houses.

We even bought some older sets off ebay that are hard to find. :)

We bought one of the houses and a set of critters for DD's 4th b-day based on what people here told me. I wanted to get her a dollhouse, but at the time she really didn't play with dolls. She loved (and still does love) animals.

The sets are adorable and extremely detailed. There are tons and tons of little pieces though -- especially with the kitchen set (all that itty-bitty food!). Most things are well-made. DD, now 8, still plays with her Calico Critters. If I had 2 DDs, I wouldn't even question whether or not to buy them. You'll get more use out of these toys with 2 than I had with one DD.

What sets get played with the most? I am adding them to dd's birthday/christmas Amazon list. I have already picked out Caramel and Buttercup Cat families (dd likes cats). What animals has your children really enjoyed?

She likes all the animals, but I think the hedgehogs are her favorites. They're so fuzzy!!!!!! The stable also has gotten a lot of use because DD loves horses.

What sets get played with the most? I am adding them to dd's birthday/christmas Amazon list. I have already picked out Caramel and Buttercup Cat families (dd likes cats). What animals has your children really enjoyed?

In our house the animals are person-dependent. DD loves the cats and the horses, but the bears are darling.

The things that get played with the MOST are the food items, furniture, and the houses. The clothing doesn't get used much.

Kris

DD LOVED them and still has them. We just boxed them for her future family (2 very large boxes!). I loved them as a girl. They are actually from the line called Sylvanian Families There is a really great place to order more things from based in the UK called: http://www.sylvanianfamilies.com/. We ordered mostly smaller items that we couldn't get anywhere else. The shipping is too high on the large houses.

We even bought some older sets off ebay that are hard to find. :)

Oh! W hat a fun site!!

We miss Japan and there are certainly different Sylvanian things depending on where you are. We could get the French stuff in Japan, but there are so many Japanese things that are different from the US stuff.

For example:

http://www.sylvanianfamilies.com/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=808

Sigh, makes me miss Japan even more!!

Kris

• 5 months later...

As others mentioned, I do think it depends on what you already have in your house. My kids are big Lego and Playmobil fans. My DD(5) has already become so involved with those toys that I think she forgets she has Calico Critters. She specifically asked for them, but I was hesitant to invest the money. I decided to buy her a few animals sets when they were on sale and while she will play with them (and their accessories) occasionally, she seems uninterested in doing anything else with them. I would recommend buying the animals first to see how interested your kids are before investing in a house. They often go on sale at Toys R Us and Amazon, so you could easily catch another deal if they were a big hit. I wish I would have done that with all of our other toys! Even Playmobil and Lego houses and shelters dont get played with as much as the minifigs and all their accessories.