Menu

Toy ideas for kids of multi-ages when you aren't a fan of a lot of stuff?

I have four kids, ages 1, 3.5, 7.5 and (almost) 10. I'm trying to think of holiday gift ideas in the play-things category that would make a good family gift and perhaps also allow for each child to have their own individual gifts that connect to the theme. I'm thinking something like Lego, where you can grow the collection, but it doesn't feel like adding a bunch more stuff because it all just goes in together eventually.

I'm not looking for anything electronic or media-based. Something that is imaginative or educational would be good. And I'm not to worried if it isn't quite right for the littlest ones because the baby won't care, and the 3.5 yr old will want what the older ones have even if it isn't right for him. lol!

A couple of thought I've had include Playmobil, a puppet theatre, toy kitchen... Any other ideas?

Are you handy? I think a version of builder boards would be so cool. Here's a site that shows where you can get plans to make your own.

You could add some play items for each age--puppets, felt or wooden fruits/veggies/Haba foods, a doll cradle or new doll, etc.

A friend of mine made her own--her kids really enjoyed them. It was fun for Dad, too! lol

You could add a big rainbow silk for the roof! So pretty! Do you have play silks to add?

Edited by Chris in VA

Same boat here. We want a gift that spans the almost 2 year old range to almost 9. :)

We are doing the play kitchen idea, because I got a great deal through woot kids for a nice wooden kitchen. Not convinced that the big kid is going to love it though, so still on the lookout for more ideas.

I like the playmobil idea. :) (Playmobil geek here.) If your littlest people won't eat the pieces, like mine, then that's a great idea and you can add to it later.

Keva Blocks are going over big here, with both ages. Building toys are good. Games?

We are also doing a picnic backpack, as we do a lot of picnics... But that's not a great kid gift, more of a family gift.

:bigear:

ETA: Ooooooh, I love the builder boards!!!!!

Edited by Spryte

The builder boards are so cool!! But no, we're not handy here at all. At least, not handy enough to manage it at this stage in life. (I might attempt such a thing if I knew I could get it done... not likely with the littles under foot.) I wonder how much it would cost to hire someone locally to do it for us? If it's anywhere near what the cost of purchasing the board package actually is, it would be outside our budget. But I do think my kids would love it for sure!

I love the idea of Keva blocks, but I'm not sure the kids would be sufficiently excited by them. They don't seem to play much with our wooden blocks right now. But I think the challenge there might be that the littles want to knock everything down so there's not much building joy to be found.

I really love the idea of a picnic backpack for a family gift! We might have to do that this year.

Spryte, are there specific Playmobil sets you'd suggest starting with? I was thinking that might be fun to tie into a history theme.

I am eyeing some castle/knight sets in the playmobil department. Our biggest hits here have been the Egyptian themed sets. If you are doing Ancients, it's a great time to tie in those sets. I think they are being discontinued, so you can find them discounted on the playmobil website. We have the pyramid, and a ton of the smaller sets - they all get lots of play. DS likes to listen to Jim Weiss recordings about Egypt (chapters from SOTW and his Egyptian Myth CD) while making set ups and playing. (Of course, yesterday Peter Pan and Wendy crash landed their helicopter at the pyramid and were trapped, so it's not all so educational!)

The one playmobil set that has not been a hit here: the Roman arena. We don't have a large space to leave it set up, and the putting it away/setting it up is just too much. YMMV.

Wish we knew a local builder to make builder boards - we are not quite that handy either!

If you come up with more ideas, I'd love to hear them. :)

Oh, what about a fort-building kit? I think there are some on etsy, or you can make your own if you are the sewing type (I'm not).

I have four kids, ages 1, 3.5, 7.5 and (almost) 10. I'm trying to think of holiday gift ideas in the play-things category that would make a good family gift and perhaps also allow for each child to have their own individual gifts that connect to the theme. I'm thinking something like Lego, where you can grow the collection, but it doesn't feel like adding a bunch more stuff because it all just goes in together eventually.

I'm not looking for anything electronic or media-based. Something that is imaginative or educational would be good. And I'm not to worried if it isn't quite right for the littlest ones because the baby won't care, and the 3.5 yr old will want what the older ones have even if it isn't right for him. lol!

A couple of thought I've had include Playmobil, a puppet theatre, toy kitchen... Any other ideas?

Indoor pop-up tent? They could use it for all sorts of imaginative play and living room camp-outs, and it would fold small and flat for easy clean-up.

KEVA planks are a favorite at our house. I wondered if my kids would like them too, since they rarely play with building sets like that. But they are the one activity they continue to use regularly, even after 3 years of having them. They are the only "toy" we keep in the livingroom and they love designing towers, homes for their plastic animals, bridges, and ramps for rolling marbles. We find they are also great when we have friends and family over - everyone from 1yr to 80yr has enjoyed them.

The littlest ones can be a challenge, but there are so many blocks that usually they are happy enough with their own pile and leave the others alone. Also a good way to teach patience when the towers fall or are knocked over :).

My clan loves Playmobil. Lego isn't a hit, but they all (10yo - 1yo) love Playmobil. While everyone plays with all the pieces, they each have their favorites. My 10yo dd prefers the dollhouse stuff, and my 4yo dd prefers the horses with girl children riders. My 8yo ds prefers castles and knights, and my 6yo ds prefers the African animals and waterholes. My 1yo likes the vehicles and people.

We don't have many of the large pieces. The kids really prefer the people, animals, and accessories. I can't tell you how much we love Playmobil here.

Museum or zoo or nature center membership

Unit blocks - you can get some really great shapes, and these can be used all kinds of ways. I'd also get some people/animals who can live in the block structures

Board/card games

Art supplies or other consumable items

Custom-made cereal bowls with designs specific to the child

Puppets and curtain-rod "theater"

Costumes

My kids have really enjoyed playing with Calico Critters. We use boxes instead of dollhouses--although they do have dollhouses--they would rather set up little houses and rooms in boxes instead. So I would save my money for furniture and miniatures, rather then getting a big house.

Playmobil is a big hit here, too.

Indoor pop-up tent? They could use it for all sorts of imaginative play and living room camp-outs, and it would fold small and flat for easy clean-up.

I was thinking pop-up tents too, but like this: http://www.playhut.com/

They're also sold at amazon, Target, etc. I almost got rid of our set thinking my two youngest kids are too old for it, but during a rainy spell this summer they set it up in the dining room and had a blast with their cousin. I recommend getting a set with connecting tunnels if you can.

I highly recommend something like this (several board games in one set). We bought one of these several years ago for Christmas and it's still used regularly. Plus it fits your criteria for not wanting a lot of stuff -- several games in one small footprint.