Menu

HP or Dell

We're getting DD a laptop for Christmas. We are getting just a base model for her. I had a Dell Inspiron several years ago and it died at about 18 months old. :glare:

I've read good things about HP. We'll be buying from Costco which also has a great electronics warranty.

Dell or HP? The price difference is negligible.

Boy....I had trouble with both. I guess I'd probably go with the HP since you're going for a base model. I have a higher end HP (I needed it for my business) and it's caused me nothing but problems. When I brought it in to the local shop, the guy told me that they see this particular model of HP in there all.the.time!

We bought dd13 an HP G4 last year on Black Friday or early the next week from Amazon. We bought the square trade warranty to go with it just so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It cost around $350 and has been a great computer for her. She specifically wanted a 14" screen for portability and I wanted a few upgrades beyond a basic computer so it would do what she wanted for a few years and run some decent software.

She took it to school in her backpack almost all of last year, and a good part of this year. It has been a great workhorse and hasn't had a blip of trouble. It has been constantly used and still looks great after all that time in her back pack. We bought a good cover for it, but otherwise it hasn't been babied in the least.

We're getting DD a laptop for Christmas. We are getting just a base model for her. I had a Dell Inspiron several years ago and it died at about 18 months old. :glare:

I've read good things about HP. We'll be buying from Costco which also has a great electronics warranty.

Dell or HP? The price difference is negligible.

Honestly? Neither. HP used to have really good tech support and customer service, but that has gone the way of the dodo in the last couple of years. Customer support and build quality are horrendous at Dell.

Try an ASUS (sorry, not awake enough earlier). They are really sound machines and the few people I know who had an issue said it was fixed really quickly and without a headache.

Edited by mamajag
posting before caffeination had occurred

Have always had HP, until I got a Mac.

DS14's HP going on 4 years, no issues (except virus,but that's not a HP thing)...the hinge has broken now, but so the display is coming off the bottom, but it still runs.

My HP going on 3 years...no issues.

Had a HP desktop for five years...no issues, just out of date in terms of processor/RAM, so ditched it.

I'm a Mac owner, too. :) I have one PC left in the house, and it's an old Dell XPS laptop that just.won't.die. I refuse to deal with Dell tech support any more.

I love calling Apple and having them answer the phone with "Hello Mrs. Burlison, which device or computer are you calling about today?" I don't have to know an account number, I don't have to deal with a zillion prompts which somehow don't exactly fit my issue, etc. Just right to the point and fantastically polite service in one phone call.

I am (not so) patiently awaiting the arrival of a refurb 15" 2012 MBP. I'm giving my iMac to my oldest daughter. She is so happy to be done with her Alienware that she sold it to get a shot at my old Mac! LOL