Menu

I need a mexican food appetizer

Our neighbors every Sunday have "salsa night" anyone can come, and you don't have to call if you don't show. Their house is just open on Sunday eves at 6pm.

This is fun actually. DD gets to play with her friends and adults get to hang out. The problem is it's potluck. And I'm finding that Sundays have become extremely hectic for me. Church, shopping, cooking, and being gone visiting. sigh.

Salsa in general and guac dip are already main staples for certain people. (which we like!). But I'm always at a loss to make something that's frugal and that doesn't take up my entire sunday.

Optimal would be to be able to make it on Saturday if possible, but I'm really not a cook. Or even if I had some sort of plan then I could at least not shop for it the same day. My option is to shop for it the week before or the Thursday before. Making it on Saturday would be best so I can at least enjoy my Sundays, which I am really no longer doing.

So any food ideas? It just has to be a mexican dish, not expensive because we do this every Sunday and it could be a dessert too. Anything, that's cheap and easy without taking a lot of time!

Black Bean Salad

1 can black beans, rinse & drain

1 can shoepeg corn

1 tomato, diced

1 onion, diced

1 bell pepper, diced (I use orange for color, but green works)

1 avocado, diced

juice of 1 lime

This is best made the day before, but you can make it the day of, too. When I am making to take somewhere, I combine all but the avocado and then add that in the day of (just so it won't be brown). This is a pretty dish, but it's also tasty. Can eat it alone or serve with tortilla chips.

ETA: My husband likes it topped with shredded cheese & sour cream.

I have the perfect idea.

Seven Layer Taco Dip.

Not expensive, and you can totally make it the evening before, store it in the fridge, then just pull it out when you're ready to go on Sunday.

It is really good; it's eaten with tortilla chips.

Also, it's totally customizable, you can put whatever veggies you want on top; leave off the green peppers/olives if you don't like them, etc.

My friend told me about this a couple of weeks ago, and I've made it twice already.

4 chicken breasts

Jar of salsa

Pack of taco seasoning

Put in crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours or so. The chicken will shred. It's great with chips or tortillas and all the fixins! Yum!!

Well, I agree she would rather have me relaxed, LOL.

I like the cheese dip I idea. Simple, nobody brings that at all! :D

I've done the layered taco dip and it doesn't seem to be a huge hit for some reason. I do all that there, except it's 1 c of sour cream to 2/c cream cheese (& taco dip) and minus the beans and salsa. Perhaps I could try it with beans and salsa. Although I'm afraid it may separate before the next day, I suppose I could add salsa the day of.

Others bring the beans every time as well. I don't like to step on toes.

The two that come to mind is

A mexican bean dip - refried beans with salsa mixed in and some cheese sprinkled on top - can be serviced warm.

A cheese queso dip - Velveeta and cream cheese and some chopped green chiles (mild or jalapeno) . Also can be served warm.

This cheese dip. Do you just blend it together and that's it? How much of each?

Totally agree with Taquitos and add some guacamole. Deeeeelish!

I've bought taquitos, mini tacos. Then I become the only store-bought person. sheesh! Kids like them. Adults not so much. However, this recipe looks good and easy too!

Chili dip. This dip always goes fast!

Layer in a pie dish or casserole:

1 bar cream cheese, softened

1 can (or 2 cups homemade) chili

6-8oz of mexican-blend shredded cheese

Bake in a 350 degree oven until hot throughout and cheese melts (about 10-15 mins). Cool 10 minutes before serving.

serve with tortilla chips or fritos.

If you want to fancy it up you can sprinkle it with a can of mild green chilis (or jalepeno peppers) before baking.

I am on my phone, so cannot search easily right now, but there is a chile relleno casserole recipe that calls for cottage cheese. It sets up firmly enough that it can be cut into small squares and served as an appetizer. It is mostly eggs and chiles, so is not too expensive. It is super easy. It can easily be made the day before. People love it!

Ive made taco cupcakes as well and it was a big hit. Just brown your beef with onions and seasonings or whatever, then line a cupcake tray with won ton wrappers and fill with meat and cheese, bake for about 10 or 15 minutes to crisp up the shells and top with whatever fixings you want.

They are super cute on a tray and it was really easy.

Just make sure to drain your beef really well.

Ive made taco cupcakes as well and it was a big hit. Just brown your beef with onions and seasonings or whatever, then line a cupcake tray with won ton wrappers and fill with meat and cheese, bake for about 10 or 15 minutes to crisp up the shells and top with whatever fixings you want.

They are super cute on a tray and it was really easy.

Just make sure to drain your beef really well.

Um....what are won ton wrappers?

Taco Rollups

1 8oz. cream cheese softened

1 can refried beans

1 packet taco seasoning mix.

Mix well and spread on flour tortillas (heat tortillas in microwave about 8 seconds to soften them) and sprinkle with finely shredded cheese. Roll up and chill. One chilled you can cut them in 1/2 or 1/3 or into 1 inch rounds. Serve with salsa on the side.

These are a huge hit wherever I take them and are super easy and not expensive. You could easily mix them up the night before and then slice them just before you go.