Menu

Help me find a nice book for a baby shower gift!

A good friend of mine is about to have a baby and I was planning on including The Read Aloud Handbook and one or two books to go along with it. What books do you think I should include? The baby is a girl if it matters.

Around one or two years old I usually gift friends with Sandra Boynton's Hey Wake Up!

I've also given On the Night You Were Born to family members.

Any suggestions for me? They do not have to be board books. Should I look for something that can be enjoyed throughout childhood? Totally at a loss...

Some of my favorites are:

-Gift of an Angel (for parents welcoming a new child) by Marianne Richmond -my very favorite!

-On the Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier

-Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

-The Complete Poems of Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne

-Beatrix Potter books (the tiny ones that kids can hold in their hands).

Hope that helps!

My hands down favorite gift books are

On The Night You Were Born

Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You

Blueberry Girl (is great if they're having a girl)

All The World

Guess How Much I Love You

And then board books would be:

Goodnight Moon/Runaway Bunny/Big Red Barn

a few of the Eric Carle books --Caterpillar, Busy Spider, Brown Bear etc

I like to give a book for the mom (usually the Read Aloud Handbook :) ) and then a baby board book and a children's book.

Favorite board books:

I Know a Rhino this has been a fave with all 3 of my kids

Mama Mama and Papa Papa Sweet rhymes, love these

Dear Zoo Can't go wrong with a classiic!

And for the children's books:

A classic fairy tale book or Mother Goose

Knuffle Bunny We love Mo Willems, any of his books is a good choice

Madeline Because you said she is having a girl :001_smile:

Make Way for Ducklings We live near Boston, so definitely a must have

A Shel Silverstein book, take your pick

I tend to shy away from Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love you, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Goodnight, Gorilla...etc...not because they are not perfect baby books, but because I received 2 or 3 copies of each of these. I like to go for something less expected so it is not a duplicate. Think of your children's favorite picture books and choose one or two of those. :)

You're an awesome friend! Books are my favorite gifts to give and receive!

It Looked Like Spilled Milk. I'm trying to find this for dd. I used to babysit a little girl who loved that story, man I wish I would have kept the books from my babysitting days :(

It Looked Like Spilt Milk is on amazon. My DD loved that book. They did some projects with it at preschool and sent each child home with a copy. That would be a good choice for a baby shower. :)

My babies' favorite books were the Karen Katz lift the flap books and the Usborne That's not my....(monkey, pirate, penguin, etc) books. I could find other board books used pretty easily, but the lift the flaps and touch and feel books dont usually pass down well, so I like to get new copies of those (plus our library doesn't carry them since they are easy to ruin). They get through one baby just fine though.

My babies' favorite books were the Karen Katz lift the flap books and the Usborne That's not my....(monkey, pirate, penguin, etc) books. I could find other board books used pretty easily, but the lift the flaps and touch and feel books dont usually pass down well, so I like to get new copies of those (plus our library doesn't carry them since they are easy to ruin). They get through one baby just fine though.

My youngest and all my day care kids LOVE these books!

I think it's funny you guys have receieved multiple copies of books. The only person that has every bought me or my kids books is my sister.

I was going to recommend those as well. Those are favorites here as well. Plus the Usborne books are so sturdy! Well worth the price. My daughter also liked any board book that was also a song or finger rhyme. We read those until I was nearly crazy.

Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions here! There are so many great books that I had such a difficult time deciding what to choose. Initially I decided on Madeline, The Little Blue Truck, and I Know a Rhino. Unfortunately Madeline had to go since I was also purchasing The Read Aloud Handbook and a wooden rattle/clutch toy; the cost was getting too high. I'll have to keep some of these titles in mind next year for her first birthday! :D