Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - week 40

I have been waiting for someone to ask. ;)

(Bear with me. My mind makes some strange leaps.)

Apparently there was some sort of cupcake war on the general board which led me to think of the poor, lowly doughnut. And doughnuts lead to the mathematical structure known as a torus. And, topologically speaking, a doughnut and a coffee cup are equivalent structures. The graph is the classic mathematical transformation of a coffee cup into a doughnut--note that each has one "hole". Not the empty space of the cup which is pushed back into the clay, so to speak, but the hole in the handle.

So my new signature is a mathematical pun on the cupcake silliness that occurred here.

Hope that makes some sense.

Now I totally see it. Thanks for explaining.

I am also pro-donut. Yum.

Hey Gals!

I haven't posted in a couple weeks. Dental work has got me down :glare: My mom came to help out last week, and we spent time watching Downton Abbey and Jane Austen movies while I recovered from a root canal, so not much reading. I have another dental appointment tomorrow but I'm hoping this one won't be as bad.

Sorry about the dental work. My mouth is one area where I have almost no tolerance for pain. I think Downton Abbey and Jane Austen movies are perfect for just about any type of recuperation.

I have been on a Regency era and Mystery kick for the last 6 months or so. I have another Georgette Heyer book awaiting me and I got a new Regency book from the library today.

I love both Regency and Victorian mysteries.

Yikes. :scared: I tried that book many years ago & made it only a few pages in before I was too scared to continue (esp. because I knew it was a true story). <<<shudder>>>

Same here. I tried to read it, but kept remembering hearing about it at the time it happened. I didn't really know who Roman Polanski or Sharon Tate were, but I remember my mother and her friends discussing it, and remember the horrific news stories about it.

Apparently there was some sort of cupcake war on the general board which led me to think of the poor, lowly doughnut. And doughnuts lead to the mathematical structure known as a torus. And, topologically speaking, a doughnut and a coffee cup are equivalent structures. The graph is the classic mathematical transformation of a coffee cup into a doughnut--note that each has one "hole". Not the empty space of the cup which is pushed back into the clay, so to speak, but the hole in the handle.

So my new signature is a mathematical pun on the cupcake silliness that occurred here.

I'm so glad you explained that - I'd always wondered how a cup could be topologically equivalent to a doughnut, since the hole in the cup didn't go all the way through. Now I know!

Ok, even though I've never heard the term 'torus' (at least that I can remember), the graphic made total sense to me the first time I saw it. (Maybe it was all those years I spent in tech. writing, along w/ all the tech. designers/illustrators I worked with....) Either I'm a geometric genius (:huh::lol: -- NOT) or I just innately understand the circle of life in a coffee & donuts kind of way.... ;)

Great, now I want donuts.

Speaking of donuts, one of the books I read this week was The Hole.

I was waiting to post my review, but if the shoe fits .....

The Hole is definitely not my speed! But on the topic at hand, yesterday I picked up a literary cookbook at the library used book sale. The Storybook Cookbook by Carol MacGregor has a recipe for Uncle Ulysses doughnuts (Homer Price) as well Chincoteague Pot Pie, Lemon Souffle (Secret Garden), and Ratty's Baked Ham from Wind in the Willows. A far more sophisticated cook book for children and their parents than most I have seen. It was published in 1967.

:grouphug: about your dental work. No fun! I really enjoyed that Flavia book too (the whole series, really). Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde is an excellent read, imo. I totally loved it & think it's a perfectly-written novella.

I downloaded it to my Kindle ap this morning. I was excited to see that the next Flavia novel is due out early next year!

Sorry about the dental work. My mouth is one area where I have almost no tolerance for pain. I think Downton Abbey and Jane Austen movies are perfect for just about any type of recuperation.

I love both Regency and Victorian mysteries.

:D Lucky for me, both my dd's love these too. Though tonight I think I am recuperating with Despicable Me. Maybe I'll sleep through it.

I go at 3pm for the post and core work. I'd appreciate any prayers ;) I have huge dental phobia and negative pain tolerance.

I was waiting to post my review, but if the shoe fits .....

Thanks to all the donuts - the shoe fits but the pants don't.

Edited by aggieamy

Your review makes it sound really good. BUT, I'm way too scared to read it!

The Storybook Cookbook by Carol MacGregor has a recipe for Uncle Ulysses doughnuts (Homer Price) as well Chincoteague Pot Pie, Lemon Souffle (Secret Garden), and Ratty's Baked Ham from Wind in the Willows. A far more sophisticated cook book for children and their parents than most I have seen. It was published in 1967.

That sounds so neat. I'm going to see if our library has it.

I was excited to see that the next Flavia novel is due out early next year!

Yay. Thanks for posting that!

:grouphug: on the dental work! Just think of morphing coffee cups & donuts while on the meds getting work done.... :lol:

Read in high school. Total creep out book about pure evil. My family (dad was a psychologist) was friends with the psychiatrist who was assigned to treat Squeaky in prison.

Uhhhhhhh. I'm getting scared just even thinking about that stuff....

Thanks to all the donuts - the shoe fits but the pants don't.

:lol:

Donut break? I'll bring coffee!

Cheers to that!

While checking out the new books shelves at our library I found quite a good Y/A novel. One of the protagonists is likened to the character in the title "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." She certainly has the same spunk & tech savvy. It's for those who don't mind lots of action & sinister doings, in this case by researchers kidnapping homeless kids & runaways in order to illegally do danderous & questionable research to find a cure for a fatal fictitious disease that hits adolescents. I stayed up too late last night reading it & plan to finish it today (it's not really long.) I found that after being disappointed with. Oops, I nearly forgot the title & authorDon't Turn Around by Michelle Gagnon http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Turn-Around-Michelle-Gagnon/dp/0062102907/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349370968&sr=8-1&keywords=don%27t+turn+around . I found it after being disappointed with Sarum. It's not that Sarum is badly written, but I am tired of books like this that go through millenia & spend a lot of time on religion. However, if you like this sort of thing, and don't mind reading a fictitious account of the building of Stonehenge to boot, you could try it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sarum-Novel-England-Edward-Rutherfurd/dp/0449000729/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349371020&sr=8-1&keywords=Sarum

Karin, I like most of Ken Follett's books. I assume that this is the sequel to Fall of Giants. I'll read it when it arrives to this part of the world. :)

Yes, that's it. You have to wait for everything there, but I think it will be worth it, since you like most of his books.

Yes, it does make sense--I hadn't even seen it until I saw the question, but it's a good one.

Anyhoo, I finished I Am Half-Sick of Shadows last night by Alan Bradley. I adore Flavia! This book was my favorite so far. I enjoy the mystery. I enjoy Flavia. I enjoy how clean the series is. However, I have not enjoyed that the family doesn't "bond." I liked seeing just a touch of that in this book. Hopefully, the next one will continue with that theme.

:iagree: It was one of the better ones. I'm hoping they do bond more over time, since character growth in all of them is good, and, to be frank, after a while all the meanness gets old, even it some of it is funny.

May I simply drink my water or some white tea instead:001_smile:? I never have taken up coffee & sadly can't eat doughnuts (don't you love spelling pedants from other countries:001_rolleyes:;))

Stacia- LOVE this, and this thread every week, and really needed it today. Thanks.

May I simply drink my water or some white tea instead:001_smile:? I never have taken up coffee & sadly can't eat doughnuts (don't you love spelling pedants from other countries:001_rolleyes:;))

But wait! I write "doughnut" as opposed to "donut" too. Could this be generational as opposed to geographic?

The Hole is definitely not my speed! But on the topic at hand, yesterday I picked up a literary cookbook at the library used book sale. The Storybook Cookbook by Carol MacGregor has a recipe for Uncle Ulysses doughnuts (Homer Price) as well Chincoteague Pot Pie, Lemon Souffle (Secret Garden), and Ratty's Baked Ham from Wind in the Willows. A far more sophisticated cook book for children and their parents than most I have seen. It was published in 1967.

I wonder how easily the recipes could be made gf?

We like the Harry Potter Unofficial cookbook....for some things. I will never be making blood sausage.

I alternate between doughnut and donut depending on my mood. :D

:grouphug: on the dental work! Just think of morphing coffee cups & donuts while on the meds getting work done.... :lol:

I'm back from the dentist. I'm still numb so I don't know how sore I'll be. I've got a headache. I will say that laughing gas AND Valium had me in La La Land and I don't know what I was thinking of...not sure it was coffee cups and donuts though. :tongue_smilie:

What's it called?

Speaking From Among the Bones. Release date January 29th. http://www.amazon.com/Speaking-Among-Bones-Flavia-Novel/dp/0385344031/ref=pd_sim_b_5

:001_smile: and :grouphug:

Donuts or doughnuts?

donut_struggle.gif

There is NO comparison here! It is Krispy Kreme doughnuts!! And tea, I'm not a coffee drinker either.

:blushing: Ok, are you gals going to laugh when I tell you that the dc & I just made a Dunkin Donuts run (solely because of this thread)? So much for healthy eating today! :tongue_smilie: (My donut was quite tasty, though....)

In this political year, I am glad that my campaign to promote the humble donut/doughnut (let's be inclusive) is winning another voter!

Conviviality for all!!

:blushing: Ok, are you gals going to laugh when I tell you that the dc & I just made a Dunkin Donuts run (solely because of this thread)? So much for healthy eating today! :tongue_smilie: (My donut was quite tasty, though....)

Eat an extra one for me cause I'm too lazy to make any donuts right now.

One of the protagonists is likened to the character in the title "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." She certainly has the same spunk & tech savvy. It's for those who don't mind lots of action & sinister doings, in this case by researchers kidnapping homeless kids & runaways in order to illegally do danderous & questionable research to find a cure for a fatal fictitious disease that hits adolescents. I stayed up too late last night reading it & plan to finish it today (it's not really long.) I found that after being disappointed with. Oops, I nearly forgot the title & authorDon't Turn Around by Michelle Gagnon http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Turn-Around-Michelle-Gagnon/dp/0062102907/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349370968&sr=8-1&keywords=don%27t+turn+around

Karin, added this to my wish list. Love Lisbeth. :D

I love and really, really, really miss Dunkin Donuts. Had lots of it when we visited the U.S. over the summer. :)

(Btw, now dh is stopping by the donut place on the way to work to pick up some for the office. :lol:)

Ok, now back to books....

I finished Dracula last night. Even though I read it a few years ago, I totally enjoyed reading it again. It's the deliciously creepy, classic horror tale that sets the bar for others, imo. A perfect book to read in October & the reason that vampire books are my favorites of the 'horror' genre....

I've now started two other books:

Picnic at Hanging Rock (the illustrated edition) by Joan Lindsay for Rosie's reading challenge.

Visit Sunny Chernobyl by Andrew Blackwell.

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

Completed the Europa Challenge Cappuccino Level (at least 6 Europa books: #s 4, 9, 10, 11, 14, 19, & 21 on my list).

Completed Robin's Read a Russian Author in April Challenge (#24 & #26 on my list).

My rating system: 5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Decently good; 2 = Ok; 1 = Don't bother (I shouldn't have any 1s on my list as I would ditch them before finishing)...

2012 Books Read:

Books I read January-June 2012

37. Clutter Busting Your Life by Brooks Palmer (3 stars)

38. The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje (5 stars)

39. The Colors of Infamy by Albert Cossery (3 stars)

40. Osa and Martin: For the Love of Adventure by Kelly Enright (3 stars)

41. Hexed by Kevin Hearne (4 stars)

42. Soulless by Gail Carriger (3 stars)

43. The Hoarder in You by Dr. Robin Zasio (3 stars)

44. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty (2 stars)

45. The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (4 stars)

46. The Nazi Séance by Arthur J. Magida (2 stars)

47. Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballentine & Tee Morris (3 stars)

48. Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi (5 stars)

49. Thud! by Terry Pratchett (3.5 stars)

50. Wide Open by Nicola Barker (3 stars)

51. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (4 stars)

52. The Merciful Women by Federico Andahazi (3 stars)

53. The Vampyre by John William Polidori (3 stars)

54. Living in a Nutshell by Janet Lee (3 stars)

55. Dracula by Bram Stoker (4 stars)

We just moved into our new house and I'm here now googling the closest Dunkin Doughnuts. Hmmmm, only two miles away.... Oh happy, happy day!!:auto:

ETA: and just to keep on track, I just started reading Ballad of the Whiskey Robber, by Julian Rubinstein. It is supposed to be a funny (and true) story of a professional Hungarian ice hockey player who robbed banks to make ends meet.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
ETA

Not a fan of Krispy Kreme. I prefer Dunkin Donuts. We also have a local donut shop in town that has good doughnuts (trying to be inclusive with the spelling). Donuts are a treat here, and we give in once every 3-4 months.

I finished Dracula last night. \

I finished Our Husband, and started on Dracula. I'm about 1/4 of the way into it and am enjoying it.

Books read in 2012 - in no particular order.

42. Our Husband, Stephanie Bond

41. The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived The Great American Dust Bowl, Timothy Egan

40. Defending Jacob, William Landay

39. Scorpion House, Maria Hudgins

38. The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins

37. Midnight in Austenland, Shannon Hale

36. To Kill a Mockingbird (re-read it because I assigned it to ds and wanted it to be fresh in my mind).

35. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Mary Ann Shaffer

34. The Poet and the Murderer, Simon Worrall

33. Nearly Departed in Deadwood, Ann Charles

32. Swan Song, Lee Hanson (not the famous one of the same title, but a mystery set in the Orlando area)

31. The Broken Token, Chris Nickson

30. The Count of Monte Cristo

29. I'd Listen To My Parents If They'd Just Shut Up: What to Say and Not to Say When Parenting Teens, Anthony E. Wolf

28. Gone, Michael Grant

27. Murder in Mykonos, Jeffrey Siger

26. The Hanover Square Affair, Ashley Gardner

25. Murder Behind the Scenes: A Victorian Mystery, Isabella Macready

24. Uneasy Spirits: A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, Louisa Locke

23. Murder in a Mill Town, P.B. Ryan

22. The Sign of the Four (Sherlock Holmes)

21. Accomplished in Murder, Dara England

20. Maids of Misfortune, Louisa Locke

19. The Butterfly Forest, Tom Lowe

18. Chasing China: A Daughter's Quest for Truth, Kay Bratt

17. Immortal in Death, J.D. Robb

16. Rapture in Death, J.D. Robb

15. The Well Educated Mind, SWB

14. Organized Simplicity: The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living, Tsh Oxenreider

13. Castle Cay, Lee Hanson

12. The Cater Street Hangman, Anne Perry

11. Callander Square, Anne Perry

10. Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague, Geraldine Brooks

9. Cold Cruel Winter, Chris Nickson

8. Watching Jeopardy, Norm Foster

7. To the Grave: A Genealogical Mystery, Steve Robinson

6. Florida Heat, Rainy Kirkland

5. A Regimental Murder, Ashley Gardner

4. The One Minute Organizer, Donna Smallin

3. In the Blood, Steve Robinson

2. The Hangman's Daughter, Oliver Potzsch

1. Etsy 101 Sell Your Crafts on Etsy, Steve Weber

But wait! I write "doughnut" as opposed to "donut" too. Could this be generational as opposed to geographic?

Perhaps it is; I'm just so used to Americans dropping letters or rearranging them (eg programme/program, center/centre), but Canadian newspapers frequently spell American to save $ on ink, which irks me to no end even though it doesn't bother me when American newspapers spell American.

tea_time_hot_chocolate_coffee_break_poster-r300f7644ed26494eb261ce18cf02d6f5_w2u_210.jpg

Donuts or doughnuts?

donut_struggle.gif

Well, Krispy-Kreme can spell! :D;)

Speaking From Among the Bones. Release date January 29th. http://www.amazon.com/Speaking-Among-Bones-Flavia-Novel/dp/0385344031/ref=pd_sim_b_5

There is NO comparison here! It is Krispy Kreme doughnuts!! And tea, I'm not a coffee drinker either.

Thanks! I may be able to put a hold on it at the library pronto, as sometimes we can do that ahead of time.

Karin, added this to my wish list. Love Lisbeth. :D

I love and really, really, really miss Dunkin Donuts. Had lots of it when we visited the U.S. over the summer. :)

Good, I'm glad you don't mind "danderous" experiments in novels (ETA the last 2 words!); apparently I made a type (again.)

While I have never had Krispy-Kreme donughts back when I used to be able to eat them (even though I shouldn't have had gluten ever, but since I don't have celiac but other symptoms, I didn't know), my understanding of this place is that the best time to eat those is right when they're hot. I have been regaled with stories about people waiting for some light or something to go on to signal customers when a batch had just come out of the oven. Fact or fallacy?

Edited by Karin

While I have never had Krispy-Kreme donughts back when I used to be able to eat them (even though I shouldn't have had gluten ever, but since I don't have celiac but other symptoms, I didn't know), my understanding of this place is that the best time to eat those is right when they're hot. I have been regaled with stories about people waiting for some light or something to go on to signal customers when a batch had just come out of the oven. Fact or fallacy?

Our Krispy Kreme has a light. When the light is on, they will pull your glazed donut directly from the conveyor belt. Ours has a long glass window in which you can watch the donuts being made, fried, glazed, etc. I have only seen the original glazed donuts hot from the oven, though. I have never gotten my favorite chocolate iced creme filled from the conveyor belt. Now you are making me want one!!!

Our Krispy Kreme has a light. When the light is on, they will pull your glazed donut directly from the conveyor belt. Ours has a long glass window in which you can watch the donuts being made, fried, glazed, etc. I have only seen the original glazed donuts hot from the oven, though. I have never gotten my favorite chocolate iced creme filled from the conveyor belt. Now you are making me want one!!!

<i47b20s0.gif bwa-ha-ha-ha.

(not sure where to find a bwa-ha-ha smiley)

Edited by Karin

We stopped at Dunkin' Donuts this morning.

Tasty treat.

As for reading, I finished #101 -- Oedipus Rex (Sophocles; play -- a reread, this time with the Misses). The rest of my list can be found here.

Since I have an embarrassment of riches in progress, I will just list the ones I'm likely to complete within the next couple of days:

-- The Playdate (Louise Millar; fiction -- clever, well written, hints of Rendell)

-- Elektra (Sophocles; play -- with the Misses in anticipation of seeing Elektra at the Lyric Opera)

-- Equivocation (Bill Cain; play -- hard to get a hold of; finally found a copy through the Dramatists Play Service) *

-- Watership Down (Richard Adams; fiction -- a reread, this time with the Misses in between our more "serious" stuff)

* If you're in the Chicagoland area and think you might like to attend this terrific play, let me know: They sent me a discount code today. And while I don't have a code, let me recommend Hamlet at the Writers' Theatre, too. Just fantastic. And don't get me started on the superb staging of Sunday in the Park with George at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater. But back to the beginning, if you want the code for Equivocation, let me know.

1 The Hunger Games

2 Catching Fire

3 Mockingjay

4 The Hunger Games Companion

5 The Naked Lady Who Stood on Her Head

6 Spontaneous Happiness

7 The New Bi-Polar Disorder Survival Guide.

8 New Hope for People with Bipolar Disorder

9 The Giver

10 Unnatural Selection

11 Breaking Dawn (again)

12 Top Screwups Doctors Make and How to Avoid Them

13 Trick or Treatment

14 Overtreated: Why Too Much Medicine Is Making US Sicker & Poorer

15 Sybil Exposed

16 How to Never Look Old Again

17 How to Never Look Fat Again

18 Style on a Shoestring

19 Underneath it All

20 Oh No She Didn't

21 Nina Garcia's Look Book

22 Underneath is All

23 The Pocket Stylist

24 What Not to Wear for Every Occasion

25 What you Wear Can Change Your Life

26 What Not to Wear

27 Dress Your Best

28 Wear This, Toss That

29 Nothing to Wear

30 What Should I Wear

31 The Style Checklist

32 Style Clinic

33 11 22 63

34 Haunted Heart: Life and Times of Stephen King

35 Just After Sunset

36 Are Your Prescription Medicines Killing You?

37 Deadly Choices

38 Confessions of a Scary Mommy

ETA: Currently reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter &The Weight of the Nation

I kind of had a hiatus in the summer due to family medical problems but I am trying to get back in the habit now.

Some links for people reading 'Picnic at Hanging Rock.' :)

Rough location on a map

http://www.skyhouse.com.au/the-rock/

The inevitable

Woodend as it is today

Bendigo as it is today (Though some of those old buildings in the pics would have been standing when this story took place.)

The Bendigo road mentioned now looks like this. ;)

This sounds like a cool group, with the doughnuts and coffee and all. Taking new participants?

We are a Krispy Kreme family, when we can get them on our visits south. But only when the hot light is on!

I just read The Flight of Gemma Hardy. It was a fun, interesting enough book. I've seen it called "a homage to Jane Eyre" so it has me wanting to reread that now. But I also picked up The Lathe of Heaven after reading some comments on it, so... not sure what's next.

Do y'all not bother with your goodreads group anymore?

Stop the doughnut talk! I'm going to end up buying doughnuts and I have to buy gf doughnuts and they are really really expensive.

Wouldn't they be Crispy Cream in that case?!

Regards,

Kareni

But of course! So we've been discussing 2 doughnut chains that can't spell;). I thought of bringing up the Canadian based doughnut chain (Tim Horton's), but they can't spell doughnut, either;).

I should mention, though, that I also refuse to use "impact" as a verb, because it wasn't one when I was growing up. I fully acknowledge that spelling & words change with time. However, illogical (but human) as it may be, I reject those language changes I don't like. :D)