Menu

JAWM! Please help me feel better about giving stuff away and tossing stuff

DawnM

that I spent a small fortune on but isn't worth anything anymore.

I am going through school stuff and needing to toss half finished workbooks and outdated curriculum and it makes me SICK how much I spent on it.

I went on a rampage about a year ago and bought about $200 or more worth of ACE PACES thinking that would be my answer. The kids hated it and are now doing much better.....so I guess ultimately I did get my desired result! :lol: But I do have about 20 half filled workbooks that i know we will NEVER use again.

I have CLE half finished stuff too.

Please just tell me it is ok to toss.

Thanks,

Dawn

I toss stuff like that all the time. Or I give it away, if it is usable for someone else.

I've always tended to overbuy. I always think "this will solve my problem!" When I realize it's not going to work, it goes out. Life is too short for me to feel guilty over unused curriculum glaring at me from the shelf.

Toss away!

I agonize over this stuff too, to the degree that I make myself crazy over which person/organization to donate it to! But I have reached a point where I'm able to toss more and promise myself I will simply do better in the future. What's the alternative, really? You can't use it, and neither can anyone else. Regrets and guilt won't get your money back or make it usable. Get rid of it and reclaim the physical space and emotional resources it's using up. TOSS IT and don't look back. (Or maybe at least recycle it if you can.)

I am going through school stuff and needing to toss half finished workbooks and outdated curriculum and it makes me SICK how much I spent on it.

I went on a rampage about a year ago and bought about $200 or more worth of ACE PACES thinking that would be my answer. The kids hated it and are now doing much better.....so I guess ultimately I did get my desired result! :lol: But I do have about 20 half filled workbooks that i know we will NEVER use again.

Thanks,

Dawn

TOSS! What's a square foot of real estate worth in your town? I'll bet it's more expensive than those paces!

Thanks,

Dawn

The bolded is the part you need to focus on. That money has already been spent. Keeping the books will not put the money back in your bank account.

A couple of things that help me when I'm decluttering:

* Think about how I'll feel if/when I do get rid of the item. That can be very telling! When there's a sense of relief or freedom, I know it's time for that item to GO!

* If I know I want to get rid of something, but not sure what to do with it - think about the options, AND what kind of time/energy it will take for me to do that. Sometimes I have nice things that I know I could sell on Ebay, but it will take too much time/energy, so I give them to a charity resale store.

Hope you can get rid of the things that are cluttering up your life. It's a good thing!

I know what you mean. It stings at first, but, like ripping off a nasty bandage, it will be a relief in the end.

I'm purging things, too, and my current hang-up is scrapbooking materials. I have some very nice materials, but I went to Shutterfly photo books a few years ago. There is not the most far-fetched chance that some of these materials will EVER be used by me, but it is really hard to consider giving them away. Many of them are baby-themed materials so there is even no likelihood I'll use them if I was still scrapbooking, but...they are so pretty! It makes me sick to think I spent so much dough on them, but they are headed for GW or someone who still scraps physical books.

I went through that a few months ago. I finally tossed tons of half finished workbooks, worksheets, etc. It was a wonderful feeling, and really relieved pressure on me. It's easier to just use what I have for any particular year, without feeling like I need to do more, add more in, use everything I have. KWIM?

Toss them :grouphug:

I tossed all half finished workbooks. :D

I have all the unused workbooks (particularly CLE) and will list them on our local HS list free for pick up. I would feel better about them being used by someone!

Some other books I will also list for free for local pick up.....

Dawn

Some of us would be happy to buy half used CLEs from you. ;)

Get rid of it! It is hard to see money you spent going down the drain. I've been selling everything possibly lately to pay for my kids' unexpected Suzuki entrance. It's depressing to see what I feel is wasted money, but I'm at least clearing out some space and making a bit back. :)

Good for you for tossing the half-used wb's!:hurray:

I did toys 2 weekends ago, kids clothes last weekend, and I am deciding if I should do the master bedroom or school-stuff this coming weekend.:001_unsure: Master bedroom is easier, school-stuff is more bothersome at the moment.