Menu

Explain Ayn Rand's Agenda to me (spoilers)

ETA: ANTHEM

I don't get the point of the book. My dd is on a dystopian novel kick and she had several friends recommend the book. I try to preread everything before she does so I read this last night. While I think it is appropriate for her to read I really don't know how to discuss it with her.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
Title

I don't get the point of the book. My dd is on a dystopian novel kick and she had several friends recommend the book. I try to preread everything before she does so I read this last night. While I think it is appropriate for her to read I really don't know how to discuss it with her.

Wait. You read Atlas Shrugged in one night???

She's probably talking about Anthem. That could easily be an evening read, and is more likely on be on a teenager's reading list.

Oh ok. Phew. I gave up on Atlas Shrugged after several months. (But that was probably because I couldn't stomach the philosophy). Carry on with your discussion.

I just snorted my vodka & tonic. It burns, dammit.

As does my ginger beer (it really is ginger beer, not soda... got it for the novelty factor).

But I must repost a link to my all-time favourite Ayn Rand spoof, "Our Daughter isn't a Selfish Brat; Your Son Just Hasn't Read Atlas Shrugged."

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/our-daughter-isnt-a-selfish-brat-your-son-just-hasnt-read-atlas-shrugged

As does my ginger beer (it really is ginger beer, not soda... got it for the novelty factor).

But I must repost a link to my all-time favourite Ayn Rand spoof, "Our Daughter isn't a Selfish Brat; Your Son Just Hasn't Read Atlas Shrugged."

www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/our-daughter-isnt-a-selfish-brat-your-son-just-hasnt-read-atlas-shrugged

What? LOL That is hilarious.

Thank you. :D

• 1 month later...