Menu

Dog afraid of thunder

We recently adopted a dog. She is the sweetest most well trained dog ever! She is terrified of thunder and gun shots (we live in the country!). She doesn't bark or whine- she just clings to you and trembles. I know she is terrified and I feel so bad for her, especially if we are not home and it is storming. I've tried giving her generic Benadryl pills and they don't seem to help. She weighs about 80 lbs so I've given her 3 pills (75 mg). Is my dosage wrong? Am I buying the wrong thing? Is there something else I can do to help her? Thanks for the ideas!

I know it looks like it couldn't possibly work but I know a couple different dog owners that swear by the thunder shirt. My sister is one of the owners, her dog went from trembling under a table during thunder to wagging her tail and walking around like normal when wearing the shirt.

The t-shirt trick always worked with our lab when I was growing up.

I know it looks like it couldn't possibly work but I know a couple different dog owners that swear by the thunder shirt. My sister is one of the owners, her dog went from trembling under a table during thunder to wagging her tail and walking around like normal when wearing the shirt.

T-shirt trick? :bigear:

I had a cat that was terrified of storms and we accidentally desensitized him by playing storm sounds on the CD player. We used to listen to a waves CD that had some storms on it while falling asleep (he slept in the room with us) and after a few months, we noticed he didn't react to the sounds like he used to. He would still jump at the big cracks of thunder, but for the most part, storms didn't bother him. He was about five or six years old when this happened.

T-shirt trick? :bigear:

I had a cat that was terrified of storms and we accidentally desensitized him by playing storm sounds on the CD player. We used to listen to a waves CD that had some storms on it while falling asleep (he slept in the room with us) and after a few months, we noticed he didn't react to the sounds like he used to. He would still jump at the big cracks of thunder, but for the most part, storms didn't bother him. He was about five or six years old when this happened.

We would put a t-shirt on the dog. Snug enough to give him some comfort, and loose enough that it didn't drive her nuts.

Talk to your vet about getting some acepromazine, that might have a more relaxing effect. I think I read from someone here that Benadryl doesn't really calm the nerves like ace does.

My dog doesn't like thunder. She's fine if she is at my feet or right beside my side of the bed on the floor if it's night.

Our dog is scared of any loud sudden noise and certain places such as the vet and the kennel where he boards occasionally. We use the Thundershirt which helps quite a bit. But he also takes prozac (fluoxetine) daily and has xanax (aprazolam, I think) for really bad moments (like being dropped off at the kennel, or 4th of July). The xanax is expensive!

The plus to the Thundershirt is - it looks so cute! ;)

Our vet also said to feed "high-value" treats to the dog when fireworks or thunder are bothering him. It helps the dog to associate something good with the noise.

Edited by marbel

Our 2 dogs don't like thunder either. White noise helps to drown it out. they like to go in the bathroom, no windows in there and I turn on the exhaust fan. Sometimes I play classical music or run other fans. Once my son made a fort in the basement out of blankets and they liked being in there, so maybe come up with a small space ( like a big box) that they could hide in? poor things, I feel sorry for them.

My three Rat terriers get scared every time my DH gets into his gun safe. They hate the noise of the gun safe opening. They also are scared to death of guns. It is just the way they are, they have never been shot or shot at. Our other dogs, the shih tzu and yorkie, could care less about the gun safe.

Some dogs are more fearful than others.

You could give more Benadryl. The dosage is 1 to 2 mg. per pound of body weight. But I doubt it's very effective for thunder phobia. Benadryl tends to make dogs drowsy, just like it does people. But think what happens to you when you're sleepy but something scary happens? The sleepiness disappears instantly!

Melatonin has been studied at Tufts vet school and proven effective for many dogs with noise phobias, so it's definitely worth trying. I'd use it in combination with a ThunderShirt.

I have a dog who is afraid of everything and hates my husband . . . honestly, his noise stress isnt as big a problem as his growling and snarling at dh. i tried the thunder shirt for when dh comes home, but it didnt seem to help. he seems to act like he's being punished when i put the shirt on. But he is so calm in his crate, i dont think he stressed as much when he's in there when we are away.

actually he was afraid of coming upstairs the first 18 mo we had him, but came up and jumped on ds9's bed one night, when i was tucking in ds during a thunder storm, and its become a regular part of our bedtime routine now!

but he's pretty calm when he's near me. hopefully your dog will calm down as she bonds to you better. oh, and we tried the meds too - but when the meds would wear off, he looked depressed. and when he was on them, he wanted to play ALL THE TIME which we dont have time for lol

We've been planning on buying a thunder shirt, but now I think we may try the "t-shirt trick" first :D.

Our dog is scared of any loud sudden noise and certain places such as the vet and the kennel where he boards occasionally. We use the Thundershirt which helps quite a bit. But he also takes prozac (fluoxetine) daily and has xanax (aprazolam, I think) for really bad moments (like being dropped off at the kennel, or 4th of July). The xanax is expensive!

The plus to the Thundershirt is - it looks so cute! ;)

Our vet also said to feed "high-value" treats to the dog when fireworks or thunder are bothering him. It helps the dog to associate something good with the noise.

The bolded is interesting to me, because I once heard, or read, a vet state that people behave the wrong way with their dogs, when they are stressed by storms. He said that by loving and petting on them, telling them, "it's OK" etc. we're sending the message that their behavior is good and to keep it up. I've been trying to ignore my poor storm scared dog ever since :(.

We've been planning on buying a thunder shirt, but now I think we may try the "t-shirt trick" first :D.

The bolded is interesting to me, because I once heard, or read, a vet state that people behave the wrong way with their dogs, when they are stressed by storms. He said that by loving and petting on them, telling them, "it's OK" etc. we're sending the message that their behavior is good and to keep it up. I've been trying to ignore my poor storm scared dog ever since :(.

I've always told people not to love on their dogs when the dog is exhibiting undesirable behaviour, but you want to distract the dog. I usually keep a couple meaty bones on hand. I don't pet and praise the dog, but I give him a bone to worry over. I've used that sort of distraction for a couple different scenarios where dogs were acting stressed or barking lots.

Our great dane is scared of thunder too - she found a cozy spot in one of our closets, where she feels secure.

It seems like our dog likes the fact that she's surrounded by the clothes.

At our place in TN, she runs into the room where the big rolls of insulation are stored and lays in there if it's thundering.

Maybe yours hasn't found her "safe place" yet? Perhaps you could put a dog bed in a similar tight, cozy spot, or if you crate her, surround her crate with sound-dampening items (cushions, pillows, etc. maybe?)

Good luck!

I agree, trying to "comfort" your dog might make it think, "OMG even Mom says I'm right to be scared right now!" I think a firm command, guiding the dog, will comfort it because it knows you're in charge and have things under control.

I was on a list for shy/nervous dogs once, and they totally disagreed with that idea that you are training them to be nervous. They said its ok to do whatever your nervous dog needs.

But then i got flamed because a few times when my dog came running out of my desk to lung, snarling, at my husband, i was so startled I slapped him. Now, he's 65 lb and totally bonded to me, me slapping him really just gets his attention. and I didnt do it on purpose. and this dog spent 5 years in rescue without being adopted and is now 10 years old (was 8 then) and these people were all jumping down my throat saying i need to give the dog back because i'm an unfit doggy mom.

but anyways . . .my dog is usually happy just to be at my feet under my desk.