Menu

How long would you be willing to commute ...

... for a fantastic (mostly) free charter school?

Bearing in mind that we would also have a three year-old and potentially even a baby to drag along in the car? We are looking at this fantastic system of classical charter schools in the area. There is no guarantee we'll get into any of them, they are all between 30-55 minutes away, ONE WAY. So... take that drive x4.

Or there is another "excelling" charter school 2 minutes down the road... I could bike there, but the curriculum (while very very similar) isn't identical, and the general vision and philosophy of the system isn't the same.

Which to choose? We will apply everywhere, and potentially move if need be, but it would be so much nicer to avoid that step!

30min max. What else is it going to take away from for all of you. What about homework time? Extracurricular activities? Sanity? :) 50minx4 would be a decision I'd come to regret awfully quickly, even if I was putting the kid on a bus rather than driving. Brownie

The thing to think about also is all their friends from school will be that far or further. They need to stay after school for a club meeting or an event, then what are your plans.

Are you driving in traffic or is it a nice drive near playgrounds or nature centers for the younger ones to explore.

We carpool to our university model school; it is 35 minutes away but only 9 miles. Traffic is a mess. I only drive two days a week.

DD's private school is a 45 minute round trip. TBH it's a pain and I wish the drive was a lot less. Maybe if we were in a metro area where commutes were the norm I'd feel differently, but I'm used to small town living. DH mostly takes her to school but I took her at least 1-2 mornings a week last year and almost always picked her up.

Things that bother me about the drive: DS2 cried a lot in the car for a lot of last year. This year he's ready for a nap right about the time I need to pick her up (12:30), and I'm anticipating him falling asleep in the van every.single.day, which means he's not going to get good naps and I will never get a nap in, and I need naps right now. And every one of my babies has been a screamer in the car. I don't know what's going to happen with school transportation if this baby is a screamer, but I do know that I will not be picking DD up--I would lose my mind having to listen to that every day.

My experience with a charter school in the NC area was not so pleasant for several reasons. Though it is 10 minutes from my house, there was lots of waiting time in the car line, mostly in the afternoons (during youngers nappy time).

Charter schools usually expect you to volunteer (even with little ones) which means another trip there and back again at least once a week.

As far as free, um no. Gas expense is bad enough. Then the school will nickel and dime you to death. $1 Jeans day, special lunches, we're in need of ____ every family please send one; uniforms/shoes which must be a certain color and style, the list goes on and on....

Then there are parent meetings, field trips (at which volunteers will be needed), school functions at dinner time, etc.

On top of a very long school day, there were mountains of homework (mostly busy work) in 1st and 3rd grades. In addition, there were speed reading tests, speed drills for math, and constant pressure to perform.

My youngest who was in the 1st grade at the time wound up suffering from extreme anxiety which required therapy and years of handholding :glare:

Personally, for us, it just wasn't worth it. I know when you are in the midst of babies, toddlers, and schooling seems never ending, charter school looks like the answer to a prayer, but seriously contemplate beforehand.

Grace to you,

Teresa

Edited by tvaleri
added comment

Dd was in a school 30 min away for 2 years. It was only 2 days a week though. I don't think I would have sent her there it had been 5. 2 hours in the car every day is a lot for a toddler and baby. All dd's friends ended up living about 30 min away so we ended up driving a LOT more than I had originally anticipated. For our family, it would be hard to be as involved as we would like at that distance. The maximum travel for me would be 15 (maybe 20) min. I would vote for the closer school, especially while you have little ones at home.

As far as the "nickel and dime" would go: yes, that is a concern, but it would probably be a concern at the other alternative, as well: there is another charter right down the road that we would consider sending our son to. I'm skeptical of anything other than these "approved" schools as Arizona has got such a bad rap - and having taught in an awful school system, I'm not willing to subject my boys to that.

Something I didn't consider was that if we wanted our son to do half-day kindergarten, that's only three hours.... so we would have to stay on the "other" side of town and figure out something to do (errands, library trips, gym, etc.) It wouldn't be impossible with my now two year-old, who will be three by then, but if we have a third (and I'm hoping we will soon) then that might become super annoying.

So unless we move to be much MUCH closer to the other charters, the one down the road is looking a lot more likely!

To be honest I hadn't thought so very closely about all of this. I think I only considered the drive there and back, but not the return trips home! I mean, it's one thing to say that we'll "carschool" and do tons and tons of audio books (we already do for anything longer than a few minutes in the car), it's another to contemplate TWO HOURS in traffic every day.

We have a Prius with the "environmental" plates that allow us to drive in the HOV lane so we're usually okay as far as fighting traffic, but still. That's a lot of time to drive.

And yet, and yet... the Great Hearts Classical Charter Schools are so fantastic. I mean, I intend to teach at one when the youngest is in 1st, that's how strongly I believe in them. I just wish they had a "lower school" closer to us!!!

30 minutes would be the max I would commute. Any further and the kids are spending more than an hour a day in the car, and their friends are too far away to be considered for play dates. My girls are in an amazing charter school. I love charter schools when they are good. One of my friends drives her kids to this school and she is 30 min away. She always mentions what she could do with the extra 2 hours a day!

Just sharing my experience, FWIW, I did one year of private school with my oldest in 3rd grade (full day) and my middle in K (half day), then my youngest at home (he was 4 yo). It was 20 minutes each way, so it was close enough that I went back and forth to bring them to school, then again at 11:30 to pick up my K'er, then again to pick up my 3rd grader at 2:30. It was horrendous! And it was very expensive. It was part of the reason I was driven to hs'ing.

Anyway. Maybe you could make it work, but think long and hard about the day to day grind of it. Sometimes things look doable on paper, but are really difficult when they actually play out IRL.

We drive about 20-25 mins. Unfortuantely there's no direct highway route so it's a lot of stop/go traffic, yuck!

Anyway, the hubby and I divide the driving (he takes, I pick up) so it's not so bad.

My maximum would be 30 minutes. Anymore than that and I feel like I'd go stir crazy in the car with three children.

It would be a hard decision. What I'd do is look for places to hang out halfway home, like a rec center, museum, park, library, etc. That way you'd break it up some. On the way to school, they could munch on dry cereal or practice mental math, spelling, memory work, etc. This morning my kids did all their homework in the car because I was out of town yesterday. It's not ideal, but it's not the end of the world, either.

Our commute is roughly 20 minutes each way, which I don't consider bad at all. There are several days when we drive 30 minutes from school to a museum, gym, etc., so we are used to finding uses for driving time.

Well, I'm thinking of attempting to enroll my youngest in a charter school that's about 30 min. from me. I also went to high school at a parochial school about 30 min. away.

I'm not sure I'd go too much farther, but I'm hoping that's manageable. There also appears to be a bus stop for this school less than a mile away from my house, so if that worked out it would be much more doable. The bus is $$ but I think the convenience could be worth it.

I have a child at a Great Hearts Archway. We love it but there is no way I would drive over 25 minutes for it. There are other alternatives out there. I drive 10 minutes but I know several families who are closer to 30 minutes away. Most people live within 20 minutes of the school. You don't find people driving 50 minutes because it's just not practical.

My experience with a charter school in the NC area was not so pleasant for several reasons. Though it is 10 minutes from my house, there was lots of waiting time in the car line, mostly in the afternoons (during youngers nappy time).

Charter schools usually expect you to volunteer (even with little ones) which means another trip there and back again at least once a week.

As far as free, um no. Gas expense is bad enough. Then the school will nickel and dime you to death. $1 Jeans day, special lunches, we're in need of ____ every family please send one; uniforms/shoes which must be a certain color and style, the list goes on and on....

Then there are parent meetings, field trips (at which volunteers will be needed), school functions at dinner time, etc.

On top of a very long school day, there were mountains of homework (mostly busy work) in 1st and 3rd grades. In addition, there were speed reading tests, speed drills for math, and constant pressure to perform.

My youngest who was in the 1st grade at the time wound up suffering from extreme anxiety which required therapy and years of handholding :glare:

Personally, for us, it just wasn't worth it. I know when you are in the midst of babies, toddlers, and schooling seems never ending, charter school looks like the answer to a prayer, but seriously contemplate beforehand.

Grace to you,

Teresa

Same here. My daughter was in the "best" classical charter school in the area. Though there were a few good AP classes and teachers, most of it was a waste of time. The social atmosphere was horrendous and I wish we had never done it.

We've pulled her and put her in a higher level school into which she had to gain admission. She actually has to work now, being in multiple college classes (as well as high school classes) and is so busy that I'm praying that the social exposure isn't as bad.

I drive DD to school every day, and it is 30-40 minutes to school during rush hour, and usually 25-30 minutes to get back home in the morning. The end of the day can take longer. In snowy or icy weather, I've had the drive take over an hour.

I think a good education is worth a drive, but I am probably at my limit. But DD is an only child. If I had other children in the equation, I might have different priorities, time-wise.

This is how we manage the commute:

-On the way to school, if DD is up for it, we review spelling words or discuss math problems. Sometimes she has breakfast on the way to school.

-When I pick her up, I take a look at her homework folder, and she uses the drive home to complete as much as possible. She has a clipboard and booklight in her seat pocket.

-I try to keep a snack and drink on hand for her in case we get stuck in traffic, and I know the locations of all decent public restrooms between school and home.

-Once or twice a week I volunteer, run errands, or bring my laptop and get some work done at the public library instead of going home during the school day. Especially in yucky weather.

Whee! Most fantastic news ever: the charter "system" that we most like, Great Hearts, is opening a new lower school "Archway" at Glendale Prep, which is about 15 minutes away from our home. That is a MUCH more manageable commute. Additionally, the school would be super close to our regular shopping places, so dropping off my son would put us right near grocery stores, Target, etc.

I'm so excited. Of course, it's a lottery, soooooo... but I'm hopeful. I've seen other friends whose children have gone from being #72 on the wait list to being admitted by the third day of school, and #127 to being admitted by the second week. Hope! Less driving! BRAND NEW school! Whee!

Whee! Most fantastic news ever: the charter "system" that we most like, Great Hearts, is opening a new lower school "Archway" at Glendale Prep, which is about 15 minutes away from our home. That is a MUCH more manageable commute. Additionally, the school would be super close to our regular shopping places, so dropping off my son would put us right near grocery stores, Target, etc.

I'm so excited. Of course, it's a lottery, soooooo... but I'm hopeful. I've seen other friends whose children have gone from being #72 on the wait list to being admitted by the third day of school, and #127 to being admitted by the second week. Hope! Less driving! BRAND NEW school! Whee!

Good luck! That sounds much more manageable for you guys.

Christine

Do you not have a bus drop-off location?

Our Charter has stops that they make in other counties to solve this very problem. For example, mom would have to drive 45 minutes to the school. Instead, mom goes to X-church and puts child on the bus. The bus returns that afternoon to X-church to drop off. Mom only had to drive 10 minutes to X-church.

You should call and see. Usually, there is a waiting list for seats on the buses so make sure that if they do that you tell them up front.

I hope you get into the new school. For me, there is a huge opportunity cost with a lengthy commute. What else would you rather me doing with that time?

True, of course... if there were only a marginal difference in the educational quality, then those hours could be far better spent afterschooling. As it stands, we're beginning to lean towards the charter that's within bicycling distance, even though it's not as "perfect" as far as academics.