Menu

best inexpensive K curric?

faiths13

or maybe early K curric? my son is 5 next month, he only knows a little of the alphabet, can count only to 5, knows all the shapes and colors though. I was hoping they might be a cute little already put together curric for him that is really cheap, lol. I was looking at CLE, but Im not sure if that would be a good fit for him.

If there isnt something already put together, any thoughts on what I could put together myself for little money? i really want to cover alphabet, numbers, social studies, science at least. thanks!

We did more.Starfall.com last year as an early kindergarten year. It was $35, and it came with the full online site for kids (even more stuff than the free Starfall curriculum), and a full teacher's guide. Like, really full. 20 pages for each week, or something like that.

They have a bunch of consumables and workbooks you can also buy. I think we bought the handwriting workbook, and one other.

We stopped using it about halfway through the year, for no real reason. It was a really nice curriculum, and you couldn't beat the price.

I think you could certainly cobble something together for free, though. The free portion of Starfall is great, and MEP math is free, and if you have a good public library you can find tons of nonfiction books and ideas for experiments and activities and stuff.

I'd definitely second the recommendation for the free Starfall resources. My son (a young kindergartener) loves those.

For teaching reading, I went with (and am going with again) Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. I know, a lot of people here don't like it, since it really just gets your kid started and doesn't do all the phonics they'll need, but I checked it out from my local library and loved it. (Something else my local library has is the Bob books, although my son hasn't been too thrilled with those.) For my oldest, I followed that up (in first grade) with Sonlight's Grade 2 Readers, and now I'm doing All About Spelling to add back in some of that phonics instruction.

If you're not scared to go it without a prepackaged curriculum, you could check out Ruth Beechick's The Three R's and work from there.

Or, Progressive Phonics is free, although I've never used it.

Also, for math, Jay Wright's Kitchen Table Math is pretty popular around here; Book 1 is the "Beginning Math" book. (I linked to Rainbow Resource because it's six dollars cheaper there than on Amazon. If you manage to scrape together a $50.00 order from Rainbow Resource, shipping is free.)

I have printed out Wee Art Homeschool. I think it could easily be bulked up with a phonics book like Ordinary Parent's Guide to cover reading. It has social studies, science and art through picture books and activities. Enjoy your Kindy year!

This is what we are doing this year for PreK but it would work well for K as well. We also have phonic instruction option with OPGTR or the 100EZ Lessons, if we choose to do it.

And we may also do a Letter of the Week for fun.

Wee Folk Art: http://weefolkart.com/content/homeschool-companion-guides

I have printed out Wee Art Homeschool. I think it could easily be bulked up with a phonics book like Ordinary Parent's Guide to cover reading. It has social studies, science and art through picture books and activities. Enjoy your Kindy year!

:iagree: We are using this for K this year. Once we finish the ETC primer books, then we will add in OPGTR and Happy Phonics around Christmas. It is a really cute program!

Spalding for gentle, beginning-reading instruction, which you can continue next year...and the next...

New Franklin Arithmetic

New Franklin Arithmetic (second book)

New Franklin Arithmetic (key)

And nothing else, other than hanging out with the older dc, exploring on his own, doing puzzles or legos or whatnot.

Franklin Arithmetic is based off Grube's Method, just in case you want to read about it.

This African Waldorf stuff is free

Rod and Staff letter & number color books

Learn to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Lots of blocks, legos, and things to count

The Library :)

I learned the hard way with my first, Kindergarten should be FUN! Not "playtime," but enjoyable learning. If you start them off too rigid, you're gonna get burnout and attitudes by mid-elementary! If you teach them to LOVE learning by gentle, evenly paced instruction, they'll have a love of learning the rest of their lives!

Happy Homeschooling

Oh thank you!! This is what I have been looking for! I'm :001_wub:!

Blend Phonics or Word Mastery

MEP Math (Start with Reception Year.)

...and :iagree: with Five in a Row.

:iagree: I don't know why more people don't just do Blend Phonics. That's pretty much what we used. Also, Progressive Phonics, which is also free and has added SO much more stuff since my kids were in K.

MEP is free. I'd invest in an abacus and a set of C-rods. Then you could use Rosie's amazing videos at Education Unboxed.

If you wanted to do something not FIAR, then BFSU for science is just $5 as a pdf. And Adventures in America is pretty inexpensive. I'd personally just do FIAR or a picture book study though.

I loved MFW K. I needed more hand-holding in their science and bible, but I loved getting the books at the library. Their phonics worked great for us, but I've heard it doesn't work for everyone. It looks like you can get their stuff used for a reasonable price. Sorry, but I can't remember if they covered social studies.

I loved MFW K. I needed more hand-holding in their science and bible, but I loved getting the books at the library. Their phonics worked great for us, but I've heard it doesn't work for everyone. It looks like you can get their stuff used for a reasonable price. Sorry, but I can't remember if they covered social studies.

Someone has this (older edition) on the swap/sale forum for $25..... (or they did!)

My youngest just finished up CLE's new Kindergarten II program. I think it was $30 for the entire set. She really liked it. It is from a Mennonite perspective, but I don't really recall any specifically Christian content.

Rod & Staff definitely has more Bible activities included. While I liked the R&S Bible content, I wasn't crazy about all of the letter tracing on the dotted lines. That was the main reason I went with the new CLE program. I preferred to show her how to properly form the letter and then have her make her own in the blank spaces. All of my dc would get so focused with trying to stay on the dashed lines that they weren't really learning how to make them on their own. Then they would look at their work and get upset when they realized that they had gone off the dashed lines.

We weren't impressed with MEP. I wanted to love it, but we just didn't "get" it.

I personally love Rosie's Education Unboxed videos, but dd hates the c-rods.

Blend phonics with Progressive phonics for extra practice is all you need to teach reading. I wish I had stuck with my tried and true before succumbing to the lure of All About Reading. :tongue_smilie:

This is our fifth Kindergarten level child in the past four years. I have tried just about everything out there.

I just checked out the Wee Art Homeschool site info. That is too adorable! I'm going to print that off for dd. We are taking it nice and slow since she is apparently my last baby.

I have done MFW K in the past and it is a wonderful program, if you can get it used for a good price.

Best wishes to you, OP. Enjoy this time with your dc. Keep it simple, sweet, and slow. You will both be thankful you did.

Edited by Sheep Lady Mama

With his abilities where they are I would do letter of the week and preschool packs from homeschool creations. Both are excellent and well suited to a child of any age at that ability level. My dd is the same age as your ds, and also doing K. She is beginning to read and write but she still loves both of those programs so they certainly are suitable for all K students.

If you manage to get some money to order curric all about reading pre-level 1 and mathematical reasoning beginning book 1& 2 would be absolutely wonderful too, they are my dd's favorite curric items

thanks for all the suggestions! i ended up ordering one of the KII CLE books to try, and a couple of the ABC program books to try, along with the first ETC primer. I love the look of the Wee Art HS and am waiting on the first two books from the library and I also found some really great looking science books on the LOTW site! So I am pretty excited and I hope we have alot of fun!!

Letter of the Week is free and is great for, well, learning letters. They also have some science and social studies stuff there too, I believe.

Five in a Row is relatively inexpensive, especially if you can get the books from the library.

And if you're wanting to teach printing, I highly, highly, highly recommend Handwriting Without Tears. Some people don't like how "basic" the letters look, but it's so simple and gentle that even the youngest kids can learn to print neatly, which IMO is more important than printing beautifully.