Menu

My last baby is weaning himself *sob*

My baby boy turns a year old in less than a month and he is starting to wean himself. :crying:

He is our very last child and nursing is probably my favorite part of having babies. I love their little faces when they eat and how pale their little cheeks get once they fall asleep. I love getting to feel soft little hands finally open up and how warm and soft the palms are. Oh and I love the fluttering eyelashes, the tickling fingers, and knowing that they are happy and warm and full and asleep because of me.

Sigh. I know this is how it is supposed to go and I know that it's normal for them to want to nurse less as they get older. But I am NOT ready for weaning and he is :(. I've only been able to nurse one of our four past a year and I had really planned on doing the same with this one, but he seems to have other plans.

Ah well. If he will just hang on for another 3 weeks then I think I will make it without too much crying.

I do hate that they have to grow up though....

I wish mine would get the memo. He's my last, and is 2.5 and still going strong. I've been nursing for the last 8.5 years continuously, and I'm about ready to be d.o.n.e.

Mine have all gone beyond age 3+. I wish DS2 would get the memo that mama is kind of over it. I don't have the heart to forcibly wean him though, and he's not easily distracted :glare:

It is a bittersweet thing, isn't it? :grouphug:

Sympathy to you. My youngest is 6 now and I still get misty thinking about when she weaned. She was just a little under 2 when she did and oh I still wish I could hold on to the baby stage a little longer.

I've often wished we could experience our children at all different ages at the same time. You know, as a 9 month old, then a 14 year old, then a 6 year old all in the same day. I know that's a weird thing to think about :lol: but I just love all the different stages and want them back. Yeah, I'm strange.

:grouphug:

DS2 has been slowly weaning himself for the past 4 months, which is heartbreaking to me because his older brother nursed until he was practically 3 and I was kind of hoping DS2 would be the same way. He's only interested in a middle of the night nursing session, that's not really nursing but more of "Ok, mama's still here" sort of thing. I wouldn't be surprised (sad, but not surprised) if he totally weaned himself within the next month or so. I keep telling myself that it will be okay, especially because 1) I'm currently expecting and 2) We are no intentions to stop having kids any time soon... but it doesn't really help. It is really just a special, special bond and I think I'll forever miss having it with each kid once they stop.

Thank you all so much.

I am surprised at how hard this is for me. I love babies, but I also love that they grow up and have always loved seeing them move to that next stage. But with him being the last one it seems like all of these milestones are just rushing by. He is walking, has 6 (6!) teeth, eats table food with ease, and is starting to say Mama and Dada. He's just not a newborn anymore and yet I feel like I just came home with him yesterday :crying:.

Oh now I'm just being silly and emotional. I'm going to go snuggle him and give him some tickles to see him laugh :)

My 26 month old just stopped nursing about 2 weeks ago. We were only nursing in the morning, before naps and at bedtime for over 1 year but 2 weeks ago he decided that he had had enough and just quit cold turkey. Maybe your son will like that arrangement also. They are free and busy most of the day and don't have to bother much with nursing which is probably why he wants to quit.

Technically babies don't wean themselves that young...

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/babyselfwean/

Come on, man. Don't be that guy. :tongue_smilie:

My 26 month old just stopped nursing about 2 weeks ago. We were only nursing in the morning, before naps and at bedtime for over 1 year but 2 weeks ago he decided that he had had enough and just quit cold turkey. Maybe your son will like that arrangement also. They are free and busy most of the day and don't have to bother much with nursing which is probably why he wants to quit.

This is what I'm hoping for. I'm not holding my breath because it seems like I have to "woo" him into nursing at all (unless it is smack in the middle of the night) but if I can just keep a few nursings just a little bit longer I'll be happy. I'm just not ready to let go yet!

Yeah, but when you offer and baby refuses then you insist and baby bites... hard... weaning seems baby led rather than mother led. Had 2 babies pull that stunt. :glare:

OP :grouphug: My youngest is currently weaning. :crying:

For real. Those 6 teeth he has are NOT to be messed with. Nor are his fists and feet!! I have NEVER had a child basically punch and kick me the entire time he nurses. I routinely have my glasses yanked off my face and my nose ring pulled out. Ridiculous.

But still, I love it :lol:

:grouphug: It's hard at any age. I've been tandem nursing for the last year and a half. It's been driving me crazy and I've been dying for my 3 1/2 year old to wean. Last month we went on a vacation and she basically forgot to nurse for two weeks. But baby sister is still nursing, so now 3 1/2 year old is asking again. There's no going back for me. We are done and I don't regret it, but I still feel sad when I refuse her because she is sad. The 18 month old nursed probably 10 times last night, so maybe I need to work on her next!

I 'm so impressed by all you nursing mamas! I have nursed all my kids for various amounts of time, but never over a year. My youngest is weaning herself now at 10 and months, and I ll be honest that Im relieved. I have a love hate relationship with nursing, which does cause me some mommy guilt. I am impressed and admire anyone who nurses toddlers.

Come on, man. Don't be that guy. :tongue_smilie:

This is what I'm hoping for. I'm not holding my breath because it seems like I have to "woo" him into nursing at all (unless it is smack in the middle of the night) but if I can just keep a few nursings just a little bit longer I'll be happy. I'm just not ready to let go yet!

For real. Those 6 teeth he has are NOT to be messed with. Nor are his fists and feet!! I have NEVER had a child basically punch and kick me the entire time he nurses. I routinely have my glasses yanked off my face and my nose ring pulled out. Ridiculous.

But still, I love it :lol:

Don't be that guy? For pointing out the FACTS? It's a nursing strike at that age, not weaning. There's nothing wrong with you encouraging weaning if that's what you want, but it's not self weaning. If you don't want to practice extended-nursing, that's fine, but I was merely pointing out a common misconception.

Don't be that guy? For pointing out the FACTS? It's a nursing strike at that age, not weaning. There's nothing wrong with you encouraging weaning if that's what you want, but it's not self weaning. If you don't want to practice extended-nursing, that's fine, but I was merely pointing out a common misconception.

Wow.

I'm confused as to why my post warrants a wow. Seriously.

Your tone is very rude and inappropriate given the circumstance of this thread, IMO. Maybe if you had softened the advice a little it could have been more appropriate but to yell at her "FACTS??" after she asked you nicely to leave it be is just plain rude.

Maybe if you had softened the advice a little it could have been more appropriate

Not to mention that even KellyMom (at the link posted) doesn't claim that babies never self-wean before a year. She just says it's "very uncommon."

Having nursed five children and personally experienced several other issues that are "very uncommon" according to that site, LLL, etc., I'm pretty sure that either 1) my family and I are very abnormal (quite possible ;)), or 2) this phrase is thrown around somewhat liberally.

:grouphug: to you, Kristen. :)

Edited by Eleanor

Your tone is very rude and inappropriate given the circumstance of this thread, IMO. Maybe if you had softened the advice a little it could have been more appropriate but to yell at her "FACTS??" after she asked you nicely to leave it be is just plain rude.

I was just told not to be "that guy." That screams of rude to me. Not "nicely" asking me to leave it be. :confused: My initial post was supportive.

As someone who was just forced to wean because of an ectopic pregnancy and a doctor who told me false information because she didn't care to do the proper research, maybe I'm just taking this too personally, but there is so much false information out there about nursing. How was I to know the OP didn't know about the link I posted?

And with that, I'm leaving this thread because it's obvious my view is in the minority.

I wish you the best, OP, in whichever weaning (or not) method you choose for your family. It's your choice how you feed your family, not mine. I was only trying to offer a bit of information. I apologize if my post was taken as anything but.

Edited by plath

Plath is right. Most babies/toddlers don't self wean that young. Does that mean it doesn't happen? Of course not. However, it is more common for a mom to think her child is self weaning when that may not be the case.

I think Plath was trying to point out to the OP that maybe her little one is not really wanting to wean but that something else was going on. If the OP is really sad that her baby is weaning and doesn't want him to then she may have the option of trying to figure how to get him to nurse more often.

If the OP doesn't want to pursue the options and figure out if her child is truly self weaning or if something else is going on, that is up to her. She can still be sad about weaning regardless how that weaning happens and when.

I see Plath was only trying to offer an alternative to the OP because she stated she was sad about the weaning. The OP may not have known.

I also think that calling Plath "that guy" was a bit rude. Kristen, you may be perfectly aware of the difference between true self weaning and a nursing strike, or you may not be interested in trying to discourage weaning. Just simply say so like, "Oh, I know Plath. Thanks for the link but I'm pretty sure this is true weaning," or "Thanks for the info but I'm ready for weaning even though it makes me sad at the same time."

I do think Plath was just trying to be helpful because you may not have been aware of the difference between weaning and a strike. I don't think she was in any way trying to belittle your situation or your feelings.

Information is power and you get to choose what you do with it. Plath was only providing information in case you (the OP) didn't know.

And yes, it is very sad to wean even if you (the mom) are more than ready for it.

Plath is right. Most babies/toddlers don't self wean that young. Does that mean it doesn't happen? Of course not. However, it is more common for a mom to think her child is self weaning when that may not be the case.

I think Plath was trying to point out to the OP that maybe her little one is not really wanting to wean but that something else was going on. If the OP is really sad that her baby is weaning and doesn't want him to then she may have the option of trying to figure how to get him to nurse more often.

If the OP doesn't want to pursue the options and figure out if her child is truly self weaning or if something else is going on, that is up to her. She can still be sad about weaning regardless how that weaning happens and when.

I see Plath was only trying to offer an alternative to the OP because she stated she was sad about the weaning. The OP may not have known.

I also think that calling Plath "that guy" was a bit rude. Kristen, you may be perfectly aware of the difference between true self weaning and a nursing strike, or you may not be interested in trying to discourage weaning. Just simply say so like, "Oh, I know Plath. Thanks for the link but I'm pretty sure this is true weaning," or "Thanks for the info but I'm ready for weaning even though it makes me sad at the same time."

I do think Plath was just trying to be helpful because you may not have been aware of the difference between weaning and a strike. I don't think she was in any way trying to belittle your situation or your feelings.

Information is power and you get to choose what you do with it. Plath was only providing information in case you (the OP) didn't know.

And yes, it is very sad to wean even if you (the mom) are more than ready for it.

:iagree:

Well said, Kleine Hexe. I could really use your diplomacy skills over at my house!

But the OP said she was sad. So pointing out that he might not be weaning but may be on strike, how is that antagonistic to the OP?