Menu

I'm sad tonight

I came to the hard decision tonight that my family is not the right one for Onyx our 4.5 month old puppy. I received my second noise complaint ticket today due to his excessive barking. He will not potty outside. As in crying and pulling on leash to get in and then going potty inside not out. Nipping constantly. It is harming my daycare business. It is causing massive stress in out home. We all love him but we all also hate him. He is so young, I would rather rehome him now when he has a better shot at finding the right home. Than to try for another 4 months and have it even harder to do so. All my kids understand why he has to go and more than that, they are not even saddened by it. (These are kids that weep for random animals injured on the side of the road, and volunteer at the SPCA each week etc). Really hoping I can find a new family for him quickly before I get a 3rd ticket. As it is I can not keep up with his exercise needs because of my health and schedule and he pulls too much for the kids to safely take him.

WHen I get a pet it is with the notion that they will be here forever but we are not the right family for him.

No flames please for giving him up. I only want what is best for him and we aren't it.

I completely understand. We have a puppy and I completely forgot how much work and time they take. I swear I cried off and on for weeks, and even had health issues due to the stress. Thankfully I think we have turned a corner and things are getting better. I never remember things being so tough with my first dog. But I didn't have children, our furniture was old hand-me-downs that already had so much wear and tear, and our floors were tile. I had all the time and patience in the world and still made lots of mistakes.

It has been a difficult adjustment. I don't foresee that we will have to rehome her at this point, but I was thisclose so many times.

One thing I noticed in the dog community is that you will get NO sympathy whatsoever about finding your dog a new home. I could not believe how opinionated people can be about getting a dog and then changing your mind. It seems that we are supposed to know everything there is to know about having a puppy before we actually have one, and if heaven forbid we have a bad fit or the dog just won't work, well, we should have not gotten a dog. I am referring to dog-related message boards.

Sorry about your situation. I know it is stressful.

You are doing the right thing, and if anyone has issues with that, it's their problem, not yours.

I know you have spent a lot of time thinking this through, and honestly, I can't imagine that there would have been any way for you to have come to a different conclusion.

I'm sorry things didn't work out, but by realizing it while the dog is still a pup, you're giving the best possible chance to find a forever home.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My sister had to do the same thing recently and while it was difficult, her dog would not quit trying to make a break to get out of the house and chase her neighbor's livestock. The neighbors were going to hate her pretty soon and it had to be done. Please don't feel bad, just give yourself time to choose wisely next time.

One thing I noticed in the dog community is that you will get NO sympathy whatsoever about finding your dog a new home. I could not believe how opinionated people can be about getting a dog and then changing your mind. It seems that we are supposed to know everything there is to know about having a puppy before we actually have one, and if heaven forbid we have a bad fit or the dog just won't work, well, we should have not gotten a dog. I am referring to dog-related message boards.

I agree. Stay away from the dog forum you sometimes go to. They are harsh!

He is a brindle coloured great Pyr/ Chocolate lab cross. Huge already, and great with kids but he is a whole lot of puppy that I am failing.

:grouphug: It is wise and humble of you to see and admit this, and better to do it now, instead of when he is a year old, with more behavior issues, that are more difficult to address with training, and he is less adoptable because he's no longer a puppy.

I really do not think that very active puppies belong in homes where most of the time and attention has to go toward children, whether they live there or are just there for daycare. Puppies of certain breeds just need a lot of attention and training to grow up into nice dogs.

:grouphug: You're doing the right thing. We've had pets (one kitten in particular about a year ago that was, I truly believe, possessed by Satan) that we've had to rehome. You feel guilty when you have to do that, but sometimes there is no perfect option, you know?

:grouphug::grouphug:

We had to do it, too. We had two, one was an escape artist and the other followed her wherever she went. When we owned our home, we had the ability to find and re-inforce all of her escape points - it was almost a full time job just doing that! She was too smart for her own good and could open gate latches, dig under the fence in about 2 minutes flat, etc.

Then, we had to move and we didn't have the option of turning our back yard into Fort Knox because it wasn't ours, so she had to be leashed at all times while outside. She hated it and it wasn't fair to her, so we found them a new home on a farm out in the middle of nowhere, basically so they could run all they wanted.

It wasn't easy and I still miss my "baby girls", but they are way better off where they are now.

When I was in college my father was given a dog that was miserable and had completely demolished a suburban backyard. He lived on the beach and would take the dog for long walks and she could run and swim to her heart's content. I am sure that if she could talk she would have said that she was glad she was rehomed to the beach.

I found a new home for him. They are coming tonight. We are keeping Delilah she is a sweetheart and at 7.5 months still working on becoming a lapdog lol The new family has a farm about 30 minutes away, with a large, secure dog run with shelter from the elements for when they are at work, experience raising large breed dogs and a great desire to have him. Their older dog (an 11 year old cocker) was put down last year after a stroke, so they were down to 1 large breed adult dog and the various animals they have on the acreage. When the husband saw that I was looking for a new home for Onyx he apparently announced to his wife that he *must* have him, that Onyx belonged there.

I can only hope and pray it is the right fit and he gets the exercise and attention he needs. The run will be good because here we have no fences so if outside he has to be leashed and he just wants to run and play. The secure run will allow for that safely.

I found a new home for him. They are coming tonight. We are keeping Delilah she is a sweetheart and at 7.5 months still working on becoming a lapdog lol The new family has a farm about 30 minutes away, with a large, secure dog run with shelter from the elements for when they are at work, experience raising large breed dogs and a great desire to have him. Their older dog (an 11 year old cocker) was put down last year after a stroke, so they were down to 1 large breed adult dog and the various animals they have on the acreage. When the husband saw that I was looking for a new home for Onyx he apparently announced to his wife that he *must* have him, that Onyx belonged there.

I can only hope and pray it is the right fit and he gets the exercise and attention he needs. The run will be good because here we have no fences so if outside he has to be leashed and he just wants to run and play. The secure run will allow for that safely.

That sounds like a great fit for him! That's awesome you were able to find a home so quickly.