Menu

My mother would have been 95 today

My first memory of her was sitting on her lap while she ate a Waldorf Salad, and every time it was a bit of celery, the fork she was handling would carefully stab it and swing up past my waiting face, but if it was a good tidbit, like an apple bit or raisin, the fork would swing up and at the last moment drop into my mouth. It was a silent game at a round dinner table filled with the faces of my hungry brothers.

My last memory was her dead body in her bed at home, her cat having moved up from her lap and now balanced on her expanded chest, its nose just by her chin. And how that morning, too weak to get out of bed, she'd said to me "Another beautiful day" as I woke and sat up on the floor where I'd been sleeping.

In between the years were filled with her hard work, her bravery (I once saw her face down a growling, snapping Great Dane with a broom and a bull horn shout when she was 70), and her incredible soft spot for little children and cats. Her garden was always a place of beauty, her table a work of art, and her taste in antiques impeccable.

She's been gone 5 years now, and yet it is as if she were in the other room in her low 19th century rocker, doing needlepoint, right now.

Thank you for sharing your remarkable mom with us! May you feel the companionship of her personality all day.

Whenever we do something particularly fun or adventursome, it reminds me of my MIL, MamaAnne. She was always game for the next adventure.

We are served well paying tribute to these women.