Menu

Um....so, the olympics are on right now...

...and it's volleyball. I don't know why I'm even watching it....I just turned on the tv and it's on. For one, I *hate* volleyball.....have horrid memories of trying to play it in school. Number two....volleyball at the olympics?? OK. This comes from me being horrid at all sports and not liking sports anyway. But, the one thing I'm thinking.......have you see what their uniforms (if that's what you call it) are?? Uh.....talk about major potential for a wedgie. :001_unsure:

I love volley ball, but I have seen enough! All they have played on the network has been volleyball - beach, men's and women's indoor, water polo, swimming and now track and field. Other things have been on, but they dont get the same coverage. They show these games In full, but show snippets of gymnastics and the many other events!

Now the woman's hurdles are on. Wow....when they run that fast you can't even hardly see the hurdles! Now that is more olympic material to me. I just don't get medals (and more specifically all that money given for each medal) given for something like volley ball. To me...volley ball is a game. I wouldn't say that gymnastics, hurdles, running, etc are "games". Although....it is called the olympic games. :lol:

And did you see their ABS?? If only ..... ;)

Now the woman's hurdles are on. Wow....when they run that fast you can't even hardly see the hurdles! Now that is more olympic material to me. I just don't get medals (and more specifically all that money given for each medal) given for something like volley ball. To me...volley ball is a game. I wouldn't say that gymnastics, hurdles, running, etc are "games". Although....it is called the olympic games. :lol:

Volleyball is a game, a team sport, more specifically - and it requires a huge amount of skill, strategy and athleticism. You didn't notice the digging, diving, spiking? I don't understand your negativity about the sport. Other team sports, such as basketball, soccer, and field hockey, have every right to be included in the Olympics.

Now, other events, like trap shooting, just don't seem to me to be Olympic sport material. If you had to run or ski and then shoot, then I'd be more supportive. Biathlon in the winter Olympics is a very challenging and worthy sport.

The uniform stems from it being "beach" volleyball.

It's usually very hot when they are playing.

Ooo, I guess that makes sense. The other night when we saw it, only the Americans had the bikinis while the duo they played had more capri type bottoms. The irony was one of the girls was so cold she had to stick her feet in foot warmers between sets (or whatever their breaks are called.)

Ooo, I guess that makes sense. The other night when we saw it, only the Americans had the bikinis while the duo they played had more capri type bottoms. The irony was one of the girls was so cold she had to stick her feet in foot warmers between sets (or whatever their breaks are called.)

It's gone back and forth depending on their comfort level. I've seen the USA teams in the body suits as well.

I don't mind the uniforms, but I live in FL so I see it often ~ a few times even in the grocery store.

I've been told it is to prevent sand, but I say, the men don't seem to have that problem. Wear those bottoms and then throw on a pair of shorts please.

However, they are amazing players so I put up with it to watch them play. :D

Well...I can believe the sand excuse because I haven't seen a male player dig as well as Misty May, or any other female player.

I understand about the volleyball thing. (((shudder))) The actual sport is awesome I'm sure... but I keep getting middle school PE class flashbacks. yikes :lol::lol:

I am sure they have lots of fan to cheer them on, while I go check out the equestrian events. :001_rolleyes:

I wonder how many folks have had a sport or game or other activity ruined by the way it was introduced to them as a kid?

Volleyball is a game, a team sport, more specifically - and it requires a huge amount of skill, strategy and athleticism. You didn't notice the digging, diving, spiking? I don't understand your negativity about the sport. Other team sports, such as basketball, soccer, and field hockey, have every right to be included in the Olympics.

Now, other events, like trap shooting, just don't seem to me to be Olympic sport material. If you had to run or ski and then shoot, then I'd be more supportive. Biathlon in the winter Olympics is a very challenging and worthy sport.

Chill deanne, :chillpill:. :lol: I wondered if I was going to offend a volley ball lover (not sure if you are or not). I really don't know anything about digging, diving, spiking....I didn't watch much because it just doesn't interest me. As for other events....I'm sure there are other events I would also be wondering why they are in the olympics :001_huh: . But, I don't keep up with it and don't know what all the events are. I guess in my mind I was comparing the volley ball to something like the gymnasts...they just are amazing and the two don't even compare (yet the winner for volley ball will get the same amount of money as the winner for gymnast)....although I know it's like comparing apples to oranges. But, whatever...I don't really care either way, actually.

I understand about the volleyball thing. (((shudder))) The actual sport is awesome I'm sure... but I keep getting middle school PE class flashbacks. yikes :lol::lol:

I am sure they have lots of fan to cheer them on, while I go check out the equestrian events. :001_rolleyes:

I wonder how many folks have had a sport or game or other activity ruined by the way it was introduced to them as a kid?

One of my best friends in high school used to save all of her PE absences for volleyball. She'd come in late, she'd not change (we were allowed to miss a handful of classes), etc. and max out all of her allowed misses...all during volleyball :lol:

We always played with the boys because we only had one gym and volleyball was one of the things they had us do a lot in the winter. And playing with the boys...well, they weren't always very nice. She wasn't able to handle balls spiked at her.

Chill deanne, :chillpill:. :lol: I wondered if I was going to offend a volley ball lover (not sure if you are or not). I really don't know anything about digging, diving, spiking....I didn't watch much because it just doesn't interest me. As for other events....I'm sure there are other events I would also be wondering why they are in the olympics :001_huh: . But, I don't keep up with it and don't know what all the events are. I guess in my mind I was comparing the volley ball to something like the gymnasts...they just are amazing and the two don't even compare (yet the winner for volley ball will get the same amount of money as the winner for gymnast)....although I know it's like comparing apples to oranges. But, whatever...I don't really care either way, actually.

It's rather insulting your method of commenting. If it doesn't interest you, why start a thread about it?

I spent quite of time in infirmaries/at allergists as a kid due to my horrific horse allergy but I still like them. :) I would rather play volleyball than lay in a camp infirmary covered in hives.

I like all the sports, the vollyball players seem like amazing athletes to me.

Edited by Sis

They're not in a twist, but I have to wonder a bit. We watched. It was awesome! They certainly have the bodies to wear that little. I still wish it was a bit more. The male divers, well it would be nice if they had a bit [not homeschool swimsuit level :tongue_smilie:] more on but I wonder if part of it is to show form as much as possible for judging.

I am totally for the appropriate clothing for the activity. I do find it interesting that the men manage to play pretty well with a little more.

Of course if mine were in a twist no one would notice. If Misty's were . . .:D

I'd rather watch volleyball than anything involving horses. Now those seem out of place to me.

And I know water polo is a tough sport, but man it is booooring to watch!

The women's volleyball outfits...I know they work hard, they are amazing athletes, but I just don't see how the tiny bikini bottoms would help their game. They're always adjusting the darn things, and if they work so well how come a lot of the other teams don't wear them? (Of course USA is dominating, so maybe they *are* the deciding factor. :tongue_smilie:)

The women's volleyball outfits...I know they work hard, they are amazing athletes, but I just don't see how the tiny bikini bottoms would help their game. They're always adjusting the darn things, and if they work so well how come a lot of the other teams don't wear them? (Of course USA is dominating, so maybe they *are* the deciding factor. :tongue_smilie:)

Women sweat quite differently than men. Men sweat typically a lot more, and their shirts and singlets are usually worn a lot looser. Women sweat a little less and it tends to accumulate in different places. A nice tight fitting athletic bra and tight shorts are way more comfortable and less distracting while moving - I find. Look at the differences in the clothing the men and women wear in the track and field event. They are essentially the same as beach volleyball.

Ok, I have no issues with the volleyball girls wearing bikinis, but who designed these things? They're picking at them constantly?

Same with the women's swimsuits this year. They're cut super narrow with very narrow straps. Some of the women have half their books in and half out and they just look super uncomfortable to me. :confused: None of the women swimmers are built for this suit. Swimmers are not typically "narrow" people.

Ok, I have no issues with the volleyball girls wearing bikinis, but who designed these things? They're picking at them constantly?

Same with the women's swimsuits this year. They're cut super narrow with very narrow straps. Some of the women have half their books in and half out and they just look super uncomfortable to me. :confused: None of the women swimmers are built for this suit. Swimmers are not typically "narrow" people.

Now that you mention it, I did notice quite a bit of putting things back in place before events. Although it could just be a check to make sure. Don't want anything to mess with there [well I would say aerodynamics but that doesn't make sense.]

I suppose we could just go truly ancient and compete naked. :D

If anyone has a problem with Olympic uniforms, it should really be the men's ~ especially the rowing team. That poor guy is getting way more media coverage than he wants. :tongue_smilie:

I must've missed this. Did someone have a wardrobe malfunction?

NVM! I found it!

Edited by dansamy

It's rather insulting your method of commenting. If it doesn't interest you, why start a thread about it?

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. In fact, I'm a little flabbergasted as to why you think that. :confused: Was it because of the chill pill thing? I was just joking around with you. That's why I posted: :lol:. I actually thought I was trying to smooth things over with you because I thought you were offended for some reason. I only started the thread to comment about the skimpy clothing. I didn't realize that only those who are fans of volley ball should talk about it. I'm not sure what you mean by my method of commenting but I guess you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Women sweat quite differently than men. Men sweat typically a lot more, and their shirts and singlets are usually worn a lot looser. Women sweat a little less and it tends to accumulate in different places. A nice tight fitting athletic bra and tight shorts are way more comfortable and less distracting while moving - I find. Look at the differences in the clothing the men and women wear in the track and field event. They are essentially the same as beach volleyball.

Hmm, good point. I never thought about the sweating thing.

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. In fact, I'm a little flabbergasted as to why you think that. :confused: Was it because of the chill pill thing? I was just joking around with you. That's why I posted: :lol:. I actually thought I was trying to smooth things over with you because I thought you were offended for some reason. I only started the thread to comment about the skimpy clothing. I didn't realize that only those who are fans of volley ball should talk about it. I'm not sure what you mean by my method of commenting but I guess you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I didn't even notice the part about the uniform in your original post, as you lost me with why volleyball was even included in the Olympics. I've already explained in another post about the functionality with the uniforms.

I just find it baffling how people who know very little about an activity come out very negative about it without bothering to do a little research into the activity. This happens a lot when homeschoolers face negativity from people who know very little about it, so to see a homeschooler doing the exact same thing about a sport is quite ironic.

I didn't even notice the part about the uniform in your original post, as you lost me with why volleyball was even included in the Olympics. I've already explained in another post about the functionality with the uniforms.

I just find it baffling how people who know very little about an activity come out very negative about it without bothering to do a little research into the activity. This happens a lot when homeschoolers face negativity from people who know very little about it, so to see a homeschooler doing the exact same thing about a sport is quite ironic.

:confused:

Wow.....and that's not insulting? You have read waaaaaayyyy more into my comments then what any of my comments even meant.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

:confused:

Wow.....and that's not insulting? You have read waaaaaayyyy more into my comments then what any of my comments even meant.

Try re-reading YOUR original post, and imagine that your dd is trying to win a volleyball scholarship and has trained for years to do so. Her dream is to work in Europe eventually as a volleyball player in the pro-leagues there. This is obviously not MY dd, but there are lots of young people enjoying sports and using them as vehicles to pay for education and travel. A few of the very best make it onto Olympic teams and have the privilege of playing for their country.