Menu

My favorite song from the 80s is...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of my favorites have been listed already, (Crazy For You, Total Eclipse of the Heart, Africa) but here are a few of my favorites that haven't been listed yet:

Any tune by Chicago

The Flame- Cheap Trick

Russians- Sting

Hands to Heaven- Breathe

Electric Blue- Icehouse

Faithfully- Journey

Kyrie- Mr. Mister

Christmas Wrapping- The Waitresses

Conga- Miami Sound Machine

And there are dozens of others. But these are the ones that spring to mind. I am really enjoying this thread! Keep posting! Keep posting!

-Robin

I think my fav eighties tune is actually from the 70's(?) Wondering Where the Lions Are Bruce Cockburn

Actually from the eighties: Elvis Costello - Tokyo Storm Warning (really that whole album - Blood & Chocolate).

The sky fell over cheap Korean monster-movie scenery

And spilled into the mezzanine of the crushed capsule hotel

Between the Disney abattoir and the chemical refinery

And I knew I was in trouble but I thought I was in hell

Roomies and I wore out Talking Heads Little Creatures one summer (so happy...)

Love Kate Bush - did you catch when CSI used 2 of her tunes early last season? (One was a cover, but still...) The Dreaming was just fascinating.

I just wiped out my itunes account:

All of My Love - Led Zeppelin

Too Shy - Kajagoogoo

I Hate Myself for Loving You - Joan Jett

Young Turks - Rod Stewart

Everybody Wants to Rule the World - The Human League

You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) - Dead or Alive

Good Thing - Fine Young Cannibals

You Keep Me Hanging On - Kim Wilde

I'm outta here.

Oh man, whenever I hear "Love Comes Walkin' in" or "Dreams", I can't help but be transported back in time. I wasn't even much of a heavy metal listener...much more pop and of course U2, which imho, are in a category all by themselves.

My favorite artist of the 80s was by far Springsteen, but I find his music timeless and not necessarily screaming "80s".

That's so cute.

Sheila, you gotta see this one:

Laurel & Hardy Dancing to The Gap Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL3mHPmNKRE&feature=related

and, if you can stand it a little longer:

You Dropped The Bomb on Me - The Gap Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmbmPalsRi4

Man, I had forgotten how raunchy Super Freak is!!!

Couldn't even find a suitable video to share for that one!

I loved it. Ha, ha, ha. It reminded me of the Video of the Fossee dancers dancing to "Walk it out." too Funny.

My kids are getting seriously annoyed with my music today. (Aw, mom what is this stuff.)

Ok, who remembers doing a dance called the "cheeseburger" to You Droppe The Bomb on Me.

Ah.....6th grade....first school dance....dancing to the Gap band and trying to avoid that big doofus guy who wanted to dance with me.

Good times.

I need to download some Gap band. I need "Burn Rubber on Me."

This is really tough. I loved all those alternative bands like The Cure, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Yaz, ect...

But, I really loved Midnight by Yaz and Forest by the Cure. When I pull out the ole' tapes, my kids definately think I was weird!!:lol: Well, I think I was!!!!:tongue_smilie:

Long decade. Hmmm. How about a beginning, middle and end. And not all of them are by Jimmy.

Another One Bites the Dust by Queen '80

Gypsies in the Palace by Jimmy Buffett '85

Heaven by Warrant '89

What is a Parrothead doing living in Maine?

We're down here wasting away on the Redneck Riviera (LA - Lower Alabama) where everybody is a Parrothead.

I remember watching this movie, still gives me chills.:001_smile:

Xanadu

Don't forget this one OMG!!!

OMG! It looks like Olivia Newton John just did something totally inappropriate to the guy doing the splits on the tightrope. (At about 2:10.) I don't know though, I've never seen Xanadu. Perhaps it's appropriate there? I'm sorry. I should go do some laundry now. Maybe I'll wash my dirty mind out while I'm at it. :lol:

I just thought of another one... I'll Melt with You by Modern English. Did someone say Tainted Love by I don't remember.

Jenny, I'm coming over to play with your music collection soon. Did you ever see the band Donkey in Atlanta in the early 90's?

OMG! It looks like Olivia Newton John just did something totally inappropriate to the guy doing the splits on the tightrope. (At about 2:10.) I don't know though, I've never seen Xanadu. Perhaps it's appropriate there? I'm sorry. I should go do some laundry now. Maybe I'll wash my dirty mind out while I'm at it. :lol:

:lol::lol:You have got a dirty mind!! Bad, bad girl!:lol::lol:

Looks like she's copping a feel doesn't it?:D

...how 'bout Little Feat? Remember the "Let It Roll" album? Late 80s? Hate to Lose Your Lovin', Cajun Girl.... SO good! That was another one that we completely wore out in college.

Also wonderful were Bruce Hornsby and the Range on "The Way It Is" and "Scenes from the Southside."

And finally, let it never be said that the South has not produced its share of great musician-poets: Case in point, the Georgia Satellites! ;)

Layla McB (who, in her freshman year, danced through the condemned gymnasium at William & Mary for a Bruce Hornsby video before it--the gym, that is--was converted into the business school. Good times.)

...how 'bout Little Feat? Remember the "Let It Roll"

Oh ya, and the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Stevie Ray Vaughan, ZZ Top, Almond Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. Dh and I love them!

8th Grade was all about Molly Hatchet, Rush, and REO Speedwagon (so not me). I was a transplanted NYer, who had just falling in love with Gene Vincent (rockabilly) and Punk from the UK. I tried to fit in, hanging out with boys who drove Trans Ams or Camaros. It did not work to well.

Early Elvis Costello and anything by The English Beat/General Public

:iagree::iagree: Don't forget Selector, Madness, The Specials, The Jam, oh it goes on and on. I really am the female version of High Fidelity guy. My dream was to own a used record store, but this shall never be.... :sad:

I just thought of another one... I'll Melt with You by Modern English. Did someone say Tainted Love by I don't remember.

Jenny, I'm coming over to play with your music collection soon. Did you ever see the band Donkey in Atlanta in the early 90's?

I missed them somehow. Local bands I saw were, REM, Swimming Pool Q's, Blue TV, B52's, Ru Paul (Wee Wee Pole), Arms Akimbo, The Nightporters (Driven N Crying), 86, & Pylon. I'm sure there were more but I don't remember them well. Getting old :tongue_smilie:

Jenny,

Were you in Athens or Atlanta? I saw many of those same bands. Grew up in Atlanta.

Atl (Dunwoody), but we used to drive out to Athens all the time! 40 Watt. Main hangouts were 688, Metroplex, and this house off West Peachtree. Can't remember the name, but we saw Baby and the Pacifers. Wow, so long ago.

for the most part, I intensely disliked 80s music. Could. not. stand. that stupid song about the red balloons that they played over & over & over & over! It was the absolute worst, followed closely by Brass in Pocket, Tainted Love, and anything by Culture Club or the Eurythmics.

Hmmm... 80s music that I actually liked... okay... anything by Air Supply and most songs by Phil Collins or Foreigner.

...a GREAT 80s soundtrack came out in the late 90s: Grosse Pointe Blank, starring The King of 80s Angst, John Cusack.

Another 80s soundtrack from 2004: 13 Going on 30:

1. Head Over Heels - The Go-Go's

2. Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield

3. Burning Down The House - The Talking Heads

4. Mad About You - Belinda Carlisle

5. I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston

6. What I Like About You - Lillix

7. Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice

8. Crazy For You - Madonna

9. Vienna - Billy Joel

10. Why Can't I? - Liz Phair

11. Tainted Love - Soft Cell

12. Love Is A Battlefield - Pat Benatar

13. Will I Ever Make It Home - Ingram Hill

I forgot about Whitney Houston! Gosh, I thought she was so pretty.

nah, no way could I pick a single song. Topping my list would be:

Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer

Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi (actually, ANYTHING Bon Jovi in the 80's - he was my FAVORITE!!)

but I LOVED hair bands (Whitesnake, Great White, Poison, Motley Crue, Scorpions - the list goes on and on)

I also liked all the pop-y dance stuff too. Gosh I miss the 80's!!

If you MADE me pick, I might have to pick Video Killed the Radio Star, by the Buggles.

You can't make me pick, though :P

Other contenders:

Hysteria - Def Leppard

Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper (but co-written by a guy in another band I love)

was Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls 80s or 90s?

Burning in Love or What Does it Take? by Honeymoon Suite

Stone in Love - Journey

INXS - Mystify

then there's Duran Duran, and the Hooters, and ....oh, forget it. See? You can't make me.