Menu

What kind of car seat does your preschooler have?

My 4yo daughter wants a car seat that is pink with flowers. Her current black/gray one needs to be passed down to the baby.

I was considering getting her the Graco Highback Turbo Booster. It is the only one I can find that is available pink with flowers, but it doesn't have the 5-point harness. She's only 35lbs and I heard that one should keep their little ones in a 5-point harness until they're at least 40lbs, however Graco states that the booster can be used for 30lbs. Confusing!

Anyway, if you have a preschooler, what kind of car seat does he/she have? Is it a 5-point or the car's seat belt? Are they over or under 40lbs?

Thanks!

We had a Graco with a 5 point harness that they used that way until they were 6, and then they can use that or the Turbo Booster until they're 9-10 and tall enough for a regular seatbelt. With a boy-girl-boy-girl birth order, nothing with pink flowers would have flown here unless it was a replacement item bought for the youngest, though.

My K'er is still in a Britax 5pt. They have several seat covers in various prints. This one we used to have I love, yellow with pink flowers. Would that work?

http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-marathon-convertible-car-seat-in-ashley-floral.html

that is very similar to dd's design, she is still in a Marathon as well, she might be moving up to a Graco 5pt when the new baby comes though.

My 7 year old just came out of a 5-point harness when he hit 65 pounds at the beginning of the summer. I would suggest the Graco Nautalis 3-in-1 or the Britax marathon which is what my soon to be 4 year old is in. Remember car seats expire after 6 years so keep track of when you need to replace the current seat. We are getting the Graco Smart Seat for the new baby and just replacing the marathon cover to something dd likes instead of spending money on a new car seat for her since she has another 25 pounds before she hits the weight limit on her Marathon.

I believe in keeping kids harnessed as long as possible. When both of my 8 and 5 year olds were preschoolers, they were in the Britax Regents (which is discontinued but the Britax Frontier is good for older kids now). My 5 year old is actually still in her Regent and my 8 year old moved out of her Regent about a month before turning 8.

My 4yo daughter wants a car seat that is pink with flowers. Her current black/gray one needs to be passed down to the baby.

I was considering getting her the Graco Highback Turbo Booster. It is the only one I can find that is available pink with flowers, but it doesn't have the 5-point harness. She's only 35lbs and I heard that one should keep their little ones in a 5-point harness until they're at least 40lbs, however Graco states that the booster can be used for 30lbs. Confusing!

Anyway, if you have a preschooler, what kind of car seat does he/she have? Is it a 5-point or the car's seat belt? Are they over or under 40lbs?

Thanks!

My 4 year old sits in an Evenflo Maestro in one car and a Britax Roundabout50 in the other car. He's 38 pounds.

We are planning to switch out the Roundabout50 for a Highback Turbo Booster in the next month or so, as he starts K. So he can start learning to ride in a booster and we have that as an option if he proves capable of it. But he'll still sit harnessed for longer trips.

My daughter is 3 1/2 and she is in the seatbelted booster seat now. But she is tall for 3 and already 40 pounds (not chubby, she just takes after her dad with height and build). If your daughter is smaller, she may be safer still using the 5-point harness.

Another thing to consider is whether your daughter will leave her seat belt alone. My daughter does not ever touch hers, we have drilled it into her that the seatbelt is for safety and in general she follows directions well. But I have a friend with a 4 year old boy who just will not leave a regular seat belt on while driving. So he's still in a 5-point harness car seat for his own safety and her sanity.

My two oldest children are in a Graco Nautilus, even my 6yo precisely because she CAN still use the 5pt. harness and she is nearing 50lbs. Hers is gray and pink with flowers. I love that it converts to a high back booster or a regular booster as she grows. :) We got hers at babies r us a few years ago. We just turned my 2 yo forward facing because of space issues in our new car, but we'll be purchasing a Nautilus for her soon.

My almost 4 yo uses a Graco Nautilus. Her carseat is pink and brown and looks like this. I expect this to be the last carseat she'll need.

My DD7 is still in her Nautilus (fully harnessed). She is pretty average in height and weight. We've had it for a few years and have been delighted with it.

DD is in a Graco Nautalis that's pink with flowers :) We bought it at Wal-Mart and I'm pretty sure I saw the same style there a few weeks back. IMO I would keep her harnessed as long as possible, I know my almost 4 year old is not ready for a buckle yet.

Graco Nautilus is our main seat. DD5 is 70lbs 48" and fits nicely.

We also have a turbo booster for quick change outs in our other cars and for rides with friends. It goes in and out of the trunk easily and fits between two teens in the back of the VW Golf.

We have Sunshine Kids Radians (now Diono Radians). DD has one that is a pink floral print. She rides in a booster in some vehicles and in the Radian in others. (Age 7.5, 47 lbs). DS is 5 yo, 40.5 lbs, and is in a Radian except for very short trips in a high back booster in other's cars.

I haven't read the other responses but both my 4yo and 6yos are in 5pt harnesses. My 8yo just grew out of his by height (all three have Graco Nautiluses) and is using it as a high back booster. The oldest two are allowed to use the Graco Turbobooster in Dh's car, but the 4yo is not. He won't be allowed until he is 6.

ETA: My 6yo is right about 40lbs and my 4yo is around 35 (will find out soon). My 8yo is in the 50's (he is tall but also very thin). Since the Nautilus harnesses until 65, that hasn't been an issue. They'll all be in harnesses until they get too tall. If weight were going to be an issue, I'd opt for the Britax Frontier which goes up to 80lbs.

Edited by Dinsfamily

My just turned 5yo is in a Graco Nautilus, in booster mode. I just changed it from harnessed to booster last month. He used the seat in harness mode for a couple of years. We have loved it. My niece has it in pink, so I know that's an option.

My 4yo twins are in their convertible harnessed seats that I got when they moved out of infant seats. Both are short, and neither are 40lbs. I'm fine with them riding occasionally in a booster (they do in my DH's car), but I'm more comfortable with them harnessed in the van where they ride 90% of the time.

I think the nautilus sounds like a great choice for you.

When mine were 4 they were both in a Nautilus (or Regent depending on car). In fact they currently use it in booster mode now at 8 and almost 7 (pretty sure they can both still fit with a harness but we made the switch to booster at 6 for DS and 5.5 for DD.

I wouldn't go with just a booster but they definitely make girly prints for the Nautilus. Each store has it's own print as well so check BRU, Target, and Walmart as they will probably all have different ones.

Thanks!

Graco Nautilus is what my preschoolers ride/have ridden in. I personally am not comfortable with a booster until age 5-6 and over 40 lbs/40" tall. There are other seats out there that are pink with flowers (I'm pretty sure there's a Radian like that but it is $$ - it converts to a booster later though).

I'm not keen on using a harness when forward-facing. The Swedish arguments about neck strain make sense to me. So we keep our children rear-facing as long as possible (until age 3 to 5, depending on the child's size), then go straight to a high back booster. Our newest boosters are the Evenflo AMP model. We like them, and I'd buy them again in future. :)

We do have a large seat that can be harnessed forward-facing, in case we have a child who's too big to be rear-facing but too immature to sit safely in a booster. But we haven't had to use it very often. Our preschoolers are quite motivated to keep their "big kid" seats.