Menu

What is the best skin care for aging skin?

I am on a budget but really need good skincare. I realize in picures where I was consistanly using good skincare I looked so much better. I used to sell it so I could get my stuff at a good price but now I'm not selling it. I am 47 years old and decided to see what all you ladies like.

I just saw The Doctors (t.v. show) the other day and they were saying some amazing things about a skincare line called Boots No7, and it's sold at Target. I've never tried it but maybe you could search for some reviews.

Thank you. I'll look into it. Are there any other ideas out there for me?

I really think Mary Kay's products are good, comparable to high end, department store brands, but with better prices. I don't use the full regime because my skin is sensitive and I'm stingy, but if I use Time Wise moisturizer OR cleanser, my skin looks a lot better. I also do fine with a store brand Cetaphil--but recently noticed it includes a lot of ingredients that we are supposed to avoid--and coconut oil, but Time Wise gives me a much younger, fresher glow. ;)

I'm constantly getting guessed as in my early 20's, but am mid 30's. My routine is this:

1. Wash with Ivory bar soap (everything else is too harsh/drying)
  2. I use distilled white vinegar mixed with a few essential oils as a toner. When you first start, you must dilute this a lot with water or it will seem too harsh. Vinegar kills bad bacteria, restores the acid balance to your face to let good bacteria grow, and is what actually does the restoring work if you have a laser resurfacing - the laser punches holes, but the vinegar renews skin.
  3. Oil of Olay Regenerist night cream as moisturizer night and day. I'm currently experimenting with a homemade mix of shea butter, coconut oil, and apricot seed oil that seems to be doing as well, but other brands of moisturizer have not been as good. I saw no difference between the more expensive Pro-X lines and the regenerist. If you watch the paper or go to the website, you should be able to find a coupon and combine it with a sale at walgreens and get it for around $22. If you don't want to wait, I've found two containers for $45 at Sam's.
  4. When I notice fine lines, I dissolve a couple of non-buffered aspirin in water and apply it with a cotton ball to my face as a mask. Aspirin is salicytic acid, and this is the same as expensive at-home acid peels.
  5. I'm allergic to most sun blocks, so I use huge sunglasses (to avoid squinting) and I pay attention to how my skin feels in the sun - if I start feeling hot, I get back in the shade to avoid burns.

I'm constantly getting guessed as in my early 20's, but am mid 30's. My routine is this:

2. I use distilled white vinegar mixed with a few essential oils as a toner. When you first start, you must dilute this a lot with water or it will seem too harsh. Vinegar kills bad bacteria, restores the acid balance to your face to let good bacteria grow, and is what actually does the restoring work if you have a laser resurfacing - the laser punches holes, but the vinegar renews skin.
  3. Oil of Olay Regenerist night cream as moisturizer night and day. I'm currently experimenting with a homemade mix of shea butter, coconut oil, and apricot seed oil that seems to be doing as well, but other brands of moisturizer have not been as good. I saw no difference between the more expensive Pro-X lines and the regenerist. If you watch the paper or go to the website, you should be able to find a coupon and combine it with a sale at walgreens and get it for around $22. If you don't want to wait, I've found two containers for $45 at Sam's.
  4. When I notice fine lines, I dissolve a couple of non-buffered aspirin in water and apply it with a cotton ball to my face as a mask. Aspirin is salicytic acid, and this is the same as expensive at-home acid peels.
  5. I'm allergic to most sun blocks, so I use huge sunglasses (to avoid squinting) and I pay attention to how my skin feels in the sun - if I start feeling hot, I get back in the shade to avoid burns.

Can you advise what essential oils you specifically use? I have lavender but no other oils..would this work?

Thanks for the great tips above, I will be trying these and out and keeping track of this thread for more ideas. :bigear:

Diane

This is great, thanks :001_smile:

Can you advise what essential oils you specifically use? I have lavender but no other oils..would this work?

Thanks for the great tips above, I will be trying these and out and keeping track of this thread for more ideas. :bigear:

Diane

Yes, it should work fine. It's basically to mask the scent of vinegar. I typically use a drop of jasmine and some bergamot. I wouldn't use lavender with kids or with boys/men because it's an estrogen and there were some cases of baby boys on organic diets who developed breasts and it was traced back to lavender in their shampoo. But I doubt it should cause trouble with grown women.

Though my skin has certainly aged since my 20's, I don't think it has aged as much as my friends who spend a lot of time in the sun. I get joked a lot for my pale skin, but it's still pretty smooth!

Same here! I look much less wrinkly than my SIL, who is younger than I am, but who loves to tan.

I am on a budget but really need good skincare. I realize in picures where I was consistanly using good skincare I looked so much better. I used to sell it so I could get my stuff at a good price but now I'm not selling it. I am 47 years old and decided to see what all you ladies like.

I didn't take care of my skin until few months ago when I realized how bad my skin looked. It was dull, uneven skin toned, dry and flaky, acne scars etc. It hurts to look in the mirror..really:0( Since then, I have been vigorously learning about how to take care of my skin and I have found some things that has done wonders for my skin. Here is my skincare regimen right now :

Morning

Philosophy Purity Cleanser - love this for my skin as it doesn't dry out my skin

Philosophy Keep The Peace moisturizer - I am looking for a cheaper alternative that will do the same job and also contains sunscreen as well.

BodyShop Vit C Skin Boost - Vit C is a great antioxidant and I love how soft and smooth it makes my skin. Work as a primer as well.

Philosophy Color Corrector spf 20 - will not need this when I found a moisturizer with spf that I like.

Evening

Olay Pro X brush with my Purity cleanser - love this brush as it deep cleans my skin leaving it soft and smooth. I definitely do not need to shell out lots of money for a Clarasonic brush.

Clinique eye cream (a friend gave me) - an essential item (not neccessarily the brand) for my "aging" skin.

Walgreens Alpha Hydroxy cream 8% (AHA) - gycolic acid, a chemical exfoliant that helps melt away the dead skins to review the natural glow underneath and even out skin toned.

Vitamin E cream (moisturizer) - lightened my acne scars, keep my face hydrated, soft and among many benefits of vit E

Bodyshop Vit C Skin Boost - a powerful antioxidant that are so good for your skin

I know the evening routine seems like a lot but it has made a hugh different in my skin condition. My skin looks even, brighter, clearer, hydrated, acne scar is fading etc. I do not need to wear any foundation anymore. My friends cannot believe that I have no foundation on my face.

This website has helped me so much :http://dermtv.com/ and not to mention youtube :0)

Hope you find a skincare regimen/products that works for you.

Julia

Edited by kengjw

Another vote for consistent use of sunscreen. I have been very happy with cetaphil facial moisturizer with a 50 spf. I apply it 'hair line to bra line' every day, even in the winter. I also apply a waterproof sunscreen to the backs of my hands and arms every day. Aging rays of the sun go right through windows, so driving a car is tough on the skin no matter what the weather or time of year. I also have a collection of hats to keep the sun off.

My sister is 6 years younger but has always been a tanner. She has darker skin and brown eyes/hair so she tans easily. I am a very pale redhead so I had no incentive to tan. Well, now I am in my early 40s and she is in her late 30s and she gets mistaken for the older sister every time.

A regular exfoliation helps keep skin smooth and reflective. Aging skin is dull skin. I use baking soda mixed with my facial cleanser. It is very inexpensive and does a great job.

Young skin is also even in skin tone and clear in tone. As we spend years in the sun our skin darkens and freckles. Vitamin C, applied topically can fade spots and even skin tone. You can spend a fortune on vitamin C products that may or may not be effective. For the past couple years, I simply open a vit C capsule and mix a pinch of the powder a spoonful of water. I spread the vit c water (and it looks like water), over my washed, exfoliated skin most nights. I then apply a moisturizing cream. One vitamin capsule lasts me at least a week. It is very inexpensive and takes moments. I keep a little fingerbowl in the bathroom cabinet for mixing it up ever night. My skin has a bright youthful look, with no dark spots. But, if you do this you really must commit to sunscreen every day.

And, if you can afford it, a script for Retinin-A really does help. There is a generic and it isn't crazy expensive. I think I got a tube for 35$ and it lasted for most of the year. I only use it every couple nights. Considering what you could spend at Target on things that are shown time and again to not actually work, I think Retinin-A is a good deal. Again, if you go that route you need to commit to sunscreen.

Here is what I do. I drink a lot of water, and although I am not overweight, I am on the upper end of normal weights. My thinnest friends look like they don't have any fat supporting their skin anymore. I want to avoid that.

I wash with a sugar scrub I make with goat milk soap, coconut oil, sugar, and essential oils. My favorite is tea tree/grapefruit. It really clears and evens up my skin.

If my face is dry before I go to bed, I put Shea butter on it. Right now, I'm using one mixed with tea tree, lavender and roman chamomile. I think I will try a plain rose next.

This is a very simple, fast routine, and I'm not using any products that contain ingredients I can not pronounce. It is working out well enough that people often assume my 17 year old is my sister.

I use Cerave, which I buy at Walgreen's. I think I've seen it at Target and Walmart, too. It has ceramides and hyaluronic acid, which I realized were important after reading Your Skin, Younger. I'm one of those people who typically develops a rash from expensive anti-aging lotions and has to throw the entire thing out :glare:; but Cerave is relatively inexpensive, plus popular with folks with psoriasis (who likely have even more reactive skin than I do).

Actually, I just use the moisturizer. I stopped using any sort of soap or face wash ages ago, and just use water for cleansing. I noticed an improvement in my skin after I made that switch. I had been using Dove products, and before that Clinique.

Oxidative stress ages the skin. This includes heavy exercise. You might notice that your friends who do a lot of running or cycling have a different quality to their skin. You need powerful antioxidants to counteract that -- more powerful than vit. C and E. I take CoQ10 and hyaluronic acid, among others. I saw an amazing difference in my skin when I started taking the correct supplements.

Frankly, I think nutrition is as important as topical preparations. Also, stress reduction. That can take the form of a few minutes of quiet meditation each day, for example.

I'm a total nerd about this stuff, and love to read about anti-aging. Right now I'm reading about telomere length. My kids say biology is easy for them because I'm always babbling about these things.

I use Cerave, which I buy at Walgreen's. I think I've seen it at Target and Walmart, too. It has ceramides and hyaluronic acid, which I realized were important after reading Your Skin, Younger. I'm one of those people who typically develops a rash from expensive anti-aging lotions and has to throw the entire thing out :glare:; but Cerave is relatively inexpensive, plus popular with folks with psoriasis (who likely have even more reactive skin than I do).

Actually, I just use the moisturizer. I stopped using any sort of soap or face wash ages ago, and just use water for cleansing. I noticed an improvement in my skin after I made that switch. I had been using Dove products, and before that Clinique.

Oxidative stress ages the skin. This includes heavy exercise. You might notice that your friends who do a lot of running or cycling have a different quality to their skin. You need powerful antioxidants to counteract that -- more powerful than vit. C and E. I take CoQ10 and hyaluronic acid, among others. I saw an amazing difference in my skin when I started taking the correct supplements.

Frankly, I think nutrition is as important as topical preparations. Also, stress reduction. That can take the form of a few minutes of quiet meditation each day, for example.

I'm a total nerd about this stuff, and love to read about anti-aging. Right now I'm reading about telomere length. My kids say biology is easy for them because I'm always babbling about these things.

Can you be my friend and come over for coffee sometime? :D;) I mean I get so lost in the land of skin care. Do I use toner??? what about AHA, BHA, Vitamin C, or Salicylic acid??? Which comes first or 2nd?? Only at night or both day and night?? It's so confusing and everyone wants you to use their "complete" line. Even Paula's Choice - who's books/blog I used to love has 5 steps or more for morning/night. Is all that stuff really necessary?

I was at the dermatologist last week and she told me to use Cerave. I have rosacea and dry skin, so my skin is pretty sensitive. Unfortunately, I had just bought some very expensive moisturizer and serum, and they're irritating my face. :glare:

I have been very happy with cetaphil facial moisturizer with a 50 spf.

Is this relatively oil-free? I wonder if I can have my dc use it on their acne-prone skin.

Vitamin C, applied topically can fade spots and even skin tone.

This is very interesting and I think I'd like to try it. I don't have many dark spots.

Redsquirrel and any others (sorry to hijack this thread a bit). I asked here and so far no one has replied:

Our esthetician told dd to use a very low-dose Vitamin A ointment/cream for dd's acne scars. I couldn't find one. My common sense tells me to have her use a Vitamin E capsule on the scars every night or so. I've always known that Vitamin E is said to be great for scars, etc. I wonder:

* Should I look for a low-dose Vitamin A ointment for her acne scars?

or

* Vitamin E capsules?

or

* the Vitamin C tip mentioned?

Thank you.