Menu

Am I the only one without a smart phone?!

No smartphone here. I don't even do more than the occasional texting. I could get away with an emergency-only cell phone, except that my local calling area on my landline (which I'd do away with if I had any other option for high-speed internet besides DSL) is teeny-tiny. Unlimited long distance for the landline costs the same as my cell phone, and since pretty much everyone I ever talk to uses the same cell company, I rarely use actual minutes, so my cell bill is pretty cheap.

I definitely do not use a smartphone! I'm way too cheap for it. We have pay-as-you-go phones for emergencies, but that is it. I do have an ipod touch my husband gave me 2 years ago for my b-day (I didn't even know what it WAS when he gave it to me!) so I am able to take advantage of some great apps, but I don't have to pay a monthly service fee.

All dumb-phones, with qwerty keyboards, unlimited talking and texting, out of contract with Verizon. About the time I'm out of contract, they start offering a share plan that looks interesting. Not going to go there, though. Page Plus may be the next stop. Lots of used phones on the internet, for low prices. Some that can get wi-fi from free places, you just have to "kit-bash" them, or something like that. I'd rather put money into really nice desk-top computers, with big screens, than have one in my pocket, with a teeny-weeny little screen. I respect that folks need to be able to get online all the time, but, not my style.

Platinum Tel. You can get an android phone for $60 and then their lowest pay as you go card is $10 for 90 days of service. 5c per minute talk, 2c per minute text. 10c per gb of 3g, but wifi is free of course. You can literally have you emergency smart phone for $40 a year. It is the cheapest prepaid anywhere. No extra monthly fees of any kind.

My mother has a phone that we refer to as "the dinosaur." She is on some plan that we think exists only for her. She pays $15/month and the minutes roll over and roll over. So when you make a call on her phone it will say something like "you have 876 minutes for this phone call!!" We laugh but she uses it for what she needs it for and that is it.

[That being said they will have to pry my smart phone out of my cold dead hands!]