Menu

"I have found that .." What are some planning ideas/combos that work for you?

HejKatt

I'm pretty new to scheduling (very new if you add in the toddler factor, that really shook things up this past year) so I thought it would be interesting to hear some of your experiences/insights as you plan next year.

For example, I have found that:

- If we have just finished a page of challenging Math (e.g. MEP), we can forget about more seatwork as the next subject. Read-alouds in Chinese/English work better.

- There are many pictures on Pinterest of happy looking toddlers playing with activity bag items, but DD is not a member of that club. :tongue_smilie: Hence, schedule extra time per subject for interruptions rather than assume she will keep herself busy while I teach.

- If I put on an audio book while fixing lunch, especially those with an accompanying picture book so they can read/picture walk along, I can keep tabs on them while they get some reading time.

None of these are earthshaking revelations, I just had to learn the hard way. :tongue_smilie: Looking forward to little/big ideas you've incorporated into your homeschooling plan/routine!

I have found that . . .

. . . frequent breaks *with physical activity* are a must during the day. After an hour of math seatwork, it is pointless to do anything else unless some energy has been expended, vigorously.

. . . the front porch is a much nicer school venue than The Desk.

. . . moods, hormones, etc. (mine and hers) can have a big impact on the school day. Sometimes, you have to take a deep breath, back up, and start over. Sometimes, you have to chuck the plan and "do school" curled up together on the couch in your pajamas - mostly just reading good books. And it's okay.

. . . frequent breaks *with physical activity* are a must during the day. After an hour of math seatwork, it is pointless to do anything else unless some energy has been expended, vigorously.

That's a good one! What bugs me about our schedule next year is that we will have more seatwork - FLL, WWE, Chinese, RS, Science and I know we'll run into MEGO (my eyes glaze over) syndrome. I'll be trying this out, thanks!

Front porch school venue sounds nice.. do you save it for readalouds, or ask your dc to bring their books/supplies out?

I've learned that different kinds of work are more successful at different times of day. At my house, math and writing done in the morning get done more quickly, more accurately, and with better attitudes than they do in the afternoon. I've also discovered that the same history and science lessons that were too boring in the morning are fascinating and absorbing after lunch. Not sure why that is, but I go with the flow.

That's a good one! What bugs me about our schedule next year is that we will have more seatwork - FLL, WWE, Chinese, RS, Science and I know we'll run into MEGO (my eyes glaze over) syndrome. I'll be trying this out, thanks!

Front porch school venue sounds nice.. do you save it for readalouds, or ask your dc to bring their books/supplies out?

I love porch school!! My mother's day present this year was new porch furniture - so we have two comfy lounge chairs, good for read alouds and for oral work like MCT, narrations, discussions, etc. We do Latin out there too, with the worksheets on a clipboard. We also have a bistro table and chairs out there, but no,I haven't tried to do concentration-heavy things like math or writing outside, I think it would be too distracting. I try and keep the true seatwork to a minimum, though. Really the only time she sits still for extended periods of time at The Desk is for math and writing. She is a very physically active kid and we often do oral work while she is on her scooter going back and forth down the front path, or somersaulting on the lawn, or something! I actually find that she is way more focused mentally when her body is otherwise engaged, strange as that may seem.

Probably the biggest thing I have learned so far is that I have to do what works for us, not what worked for someone else. In the past I have wasted a lot of time wishing my kids would do x and trying to make them, whereas our life is much simpler and happier if I plan our days around what my kids are actually like.

Another lesson I have learned comes a close second, and it is related to the first one. Do what works for my kids, not what would have worked for me when I was a kid. I spent quite a while thinking, how can x not be working out, cause I would have loved it when I was their age? Sounds kinda silly typing it out, but getting rid of these assumptions has been a huge part of the learning process for me.

Edited by Hotdrink

Here is my list:

1. Alternate brain intensive work with more relaxed work. (math followed by a read aloud, then writing followed by history, etc.)

2. If you have an older who can watch the toddler while you work one on one with another student...do it! Do any together subjects while toddler is napping. My toddler doesn't play with those nice toddler bags either, but this method works for us.

3. I give nice long breaks between teaching blocks. For example my dd8 (finishing second grade) works with me for an hour, then has a 30 minute break. She has to do school this way or she cannot focus!

4. Start each school day with prayer. It makes a huge difference on my attitude and my kids'.

I have found that:

1) Its best to ignore everything. :D lol. To do what my children love, rather than what would make a "perfect" school.

2) There is no lock strong or high enough that Chaos can't get to it.

3) that is best to hire a PA to make up the most amazing busy bags to keep Eve entertained. Thats not going to happen, so I have to accept the fact Eve is going to throw tantrums (terrible three's phase) over every single even throughout the day...except when she is painting.

4) Not to make up a schedule ala Sonlight Style. Best to have separate overviews of subjects of what "needs" to be done through the year (Maths etc) and note how many lesson we need to do a week. Our new schedule is a Natural Learners type one, and I write everything down after we do it. I use post-it notes on the page to remind me of things I have to get done

5) The "learning/researching/settling in to homeschooling" period is still in effect. Therefore I cannot be blamed for purchasing unneeded supplies (last year was boxed, this year I was still trying to figure it out on my own, I've finally decided using a themed and/or science package from WP as my spine fits the kids learning style better.

6) to read every single thing on a website before I download something (I only saw that Lollipop Logic was a PDF. After I paid for it, I realized it said I needed Abode Editions, not available to Linux (what this netbook is running on) thus I have spent the past few days trying to fix up my desktop computer in order to download Lollipop Logic.

7) that this list can, at any time, be added to. :D

:tongue_smilie:

My kids listened and retained so much more from SOTW when they were swinging while I pushed my younger one too! Seriously, even my little 3 year old was listening.

We did this after more intensive thinking work, like math. Getting outside made a big difference.

I'm pretty new to scheduling (very new if you add in the toddler factor, that really shook things up this past year) so I thought it would be interesting to hear some of your experiences/insights as you plan next year.

For example, I have found that:

- If we have just finished a page of challenging Math (e.g. MEP), we can forget about more seatwork as the next subject. Read-alouds in Chinese/English work better.

- There are many pictures on Pinterest of happy looking toddlers playing with activity bag items, but DD is not a member of that club. :tongue_smilie: Hence, schedule extra time per subject for interruptions rather than assume she will keep herself busy while I teach.

- If I put on an audio book while fixing lunch, especially those with an accompanying picture book so they can read/picture walk along, I can keep tabs on them while they get some reading time.

None of these are earthshaking revelations, I just had to learn the hard way. :tongue_smilie: Looking forward to little/big ideas you've incorporated into your homeschooling plan/routine!

:lol:

I had to laugh at that statement and commiserate! My little guy is on full-speed ahead these days and while he isn't necessarily a trouble maker - he for sure isn't sitting still playing quietly with blocks! :D

That the File Crate System is the best way for me to stay on track. And that workboxes are best for them.

That sometimes we just need to take a 15-30 min. break. Shorter breaks may work for me, but they don't work for my kids.

That it's best if DD is on my lap/at the table OR one of her brothers is assigned to play with her. I can't just let her loose, she'll find trouble.

That the days where I keep our morning streamlined & un-chaotic are the best days. The morning sets the course for the day.

1. Don't skip snack time! DD loves snack time and works better if she can look forward to a special snack. Snack time improves her attitude. It is also a good time to read poetry, devotions, or our read-aloud.

2. I can't do anything that looks remotely interesting with the youngers without dd (almost 6) abandoning her work to join. :glare:

3. If older DD had an abacus, then little DD (just turned 2) also needed an abacus (or coloring page, or whatever older DD would have).

3. Keeping nap/ quiet time sacred saves my sanity. All must do quiet time.

4. If I want DD interested in something, I have to pretend it doesn't have anything to do with her schoolwork. I check out library books about the subject and leave them around the house. She finds them and reads them on her own and then tells me about the neat book she just read. :tongue_smilie:

5. DD does better if I set a timer on how long to do her work with a good attitude so she has a goal and we don't spend all morning on one subject.

6. All work needed to be done by lunch if it was going to get done that day.

7. School starts and 9 is done by lunch (with breaks and snack of course).

8. Take short breaks. If too long, she doesn't want to come back. These breaks are a good time to do something with younger ds or dd.

9. Have materials ready to go or I lose her during prep. :auto:

10. I have much less patience when I don't get enough sleep. My attitude most affects the kids attitudes. It is worthwhile to stop school for the day to address discipline issues than to push through anyways and let them get away with poor behavior.

Some good suggestions here, thank you! I appreciate the details about how it's OK to take longer breaks, or how you school with young ones.

For those with gentle reminders to teach the child, and find what works - I hear you, I really do. It's just that I was brought up in a culture that expected schoolwork to be done, no matter how tired we were or difficult the material. When I read about your experiences, it broadens my teaching toolbox which used to contain only one mantra (You must do this, or else..). So I appreciate hearing what other families do, even if it may not work for my dc. :lurk5:

1). My kids need to run/swing/climb/flip/jump. Build it in or they will.

2). My kids can actually follow a story while doing the above.

3). Plan snack or they will eat all the time.

4). Only try to do dinner prep or laundry when they are taking a break.

5). Mom must stay off the Internet. She is very distractible:lol:.

6). After stops and starts it's obvious we work best with " just do the next thing" curriculum.

This is one of many reasons why an online planner just won't work for me. If the computer is at the table it just ends up being a distraction. . .and if I print out the schedule, well, that just defeats the purpose!

I learned that my children like to have a schedule--the same schedule everyday. One that involves doing their least favorite subject first. Then as the day winds down their favorite subject comes up (history--we use SOTW). They never want to finish early by skipping that subject. In this way, everything gets done! Oh, and we are not very good workers after lunch. It's best to push lunch back if necessary with an additional snack than to plan to go back to school after lunch! We have been known to eat lunch at 2 pm if necessary!

I also found it best to play an audio book while making lunch. They love to listen to it and it "extends" our day by fitting in one more thing in an enjoyable way. Also it gives me a much need break!

Oh, and we are not very good workers after lunch. It's best to push lunch back if necessary with an additional snack than to plan to go back to school after lunch! We have been known to eat lunch at 2 pm if necessary!

I also found it best to play an audio book while making lunch. They love to listen to it and it "extends" our day by fitting in one more thing in an enjoyable way. Also it gives me a much need break!

Brilliant! I have to try this!

I've learned that different kinds of work are more successful at different times of day. At my house, math and writing done in the morning get done more quickly, more accurately, and with better attitudes than they do in the afternoon. I've also discovered that the same history and science lessons that were too boring in the morning are fascinating and absorbing after lunch. Not sure why that is, but I go with the flow.

Yes. We went through a phase where we were doing WWE in the morning, and it was going great! Then we went through a phase where it was happening after lunch, and it was like DD9 had forgotten everything she'd learned over the last three years :001_huh:. If math and WWE don't happen in the morning, we are both :banghead:.

Here is my list:

1. Alternate brain intensive work with more relaxed work. (math followed by a read aloud, then writing followed by history, etc.)

Interesting, this hadn't occurred to me. I think I may try that when our school year starts in September!

9. Have materials ready to go or I lose her during prep. :auto:

YES. Took me a long time to learn that, but it's absolutely key for us.

YES. :blushing:

Oh, and we are not very good workers after lunch. It's best to push lunch back if necessary with an additional snack than to plan to go back to school after lunch! We have been known to eat lunch at 2 pm if necessary!

Yes, here too. I need to get us started earlier in the mornings so we can be done by lunch this year.

Here are my two add-ins.

1) I was feeling frustrated by never getting to watch any of the Netflix documentaries I had in my queue and by losing the kids during our lunch break. I instituted "learning lunch," where I play a science or history documentary while I prep lunch and we eat, picnic style, on the living room floor. They love that, they learned that they love documentaries after all, and I don't lose them entirely, so if we have additional work to do (usually history or science), I can pull them right back to the couch for it. Often, the documentaries coincide with our history/science studies too.

2) My kids cannot eat or have anything in their hands while at the school table. They are...whatever the opposite of kinesthetic learners is! If they have anything at all to fiddle with, they can't even come up with a complete sentence. During narrations, I have to make DD9 put down her pencil!

I'm :bigear: for more tips!

We all love working outside: blanket in the grass for grammar; hammock for reading; porch bench for spelling; and by the pool is our favorite science experiment location. A few times this year, we worked in a tent. We've gone to the beach and completed all of our work. The girls know that if they do complete their work, we will plan another special work day. The same holds true for days at the park. We'll start with play time, work on the baseball bleachers or picnic table, snack and end up with some great runs around the baseball diamond. The problem is that I'm big on scheduling, so I need to actually schedule these days on our calendar. Some problem, huh?!

"....surprisingly I enjoy having a schedule. It keeps us all accountable for getting our work done."

"...my kids all enjoy a checklist and it makes them more productive."

"....the best thing was for my 3 yr old to watch TV while we did read alouds for history. I'm glad I got over the guilt of 30 minutes of TV for her every school day."

"....some days are good math days and some are good LA days so you might as well let the kids work ahead in the subject area that's clicking on that day."

".....it's amazing how much you can get done even if you just work on it for a month/season."

Edited by Spetzi

Recess! You cannot forget recess/break/whatever you want to call it. We start school at 9ish, do reading, math, phonics then i kick all the kids outside for a half hour active break. They are not permitted back in the house if they are still wiggly so sometimes break takes an hour just to get all the wiggles out.

Secondly I have found that having a rough weekly outline is a complete sanity saver, something along the lines of monday do science , tuesday = geography etc. this is for the block after recess. I am usually not organised enough to have the work lined up ahead of time but I have recess time to get it sorted while the kids are outside.

Thirdly, throwing in an informal game randomly somewhere in the day really helps with moods, keeps everyone guessing, and really helps cement their learning (I try to make it relevant to a recent lesson).