Menu

Big old house, or smaller old house, or new house?

Of course we haven't seen any houses in Scotland yet, but through the wonders of modern technology I'm doing a lot of distance house hunting. I can't show you the pages - in case one of them ends up being our address - but there are three categories that we could afford:

1) Beautiful, large (five bedrooms), rambling Victorian stone-built farmhouses with a lot of land for the kids to disappear into. Lacking central heating and double glazing; kitchens and bathrooms may well be older than I am; all carpets/curtains/paintwork needing to be done over.

2) Smaller (3 bed) recent conversions, often former stone barns/stables. In good condition. No work to be done, except cosmetic. Usually little land, but Scotland has right-to-roam legislation, so neighbouring farmland is open for them to wander.

3) Spacious (4 bed) modern houses. No serious work needed. Little land, but adjacent to farmland (see above).

I have no fear of old buildings (grew up in a house dated 1779) and we could afford to renovate #1 slowly: central heating and double glazing before winter; the rest over the next couple of years. However, that would cause a fair amount of disruption, and I'm not sure if that's fair on the kids. We do like the idea of having a bit of land though. #2 is fine, but we were hoping to get a place where it would be easy to welcome guests. #3 is the safe option, but I do like the feel of old buildings...

Your thoughts?

Laura

I love old, historic homes. There is something comforting about being one family who shares in the history with another from the past.

I know this may sound strange, but does one of them feel happier/ comforting? I have been in 7 houses in 15 years, and I remember the first time I walked in to each one even if it was months before we came back around to it.

May the best house win.

sarah

Of course we haven't seen any houses in Scotland yet, but through the wonders of modern technology I'm doing a lot of distance house hunting. I can't show you the pages - in case one of them ends up being our address - but there are three categories that we could afford:

1) Beautiful, large (five bedrooms), rambling Victorian stone-built farmhouses with a lot of land for the kids to disappear into. Lacking central heating and double glazing; kitchens and bathrooms may well be older than I am; all carpets/curtains/paintwork needing to be done over.

2) Smaller (3 bed) recent conversions, often former stone barns/stables. In good condition. No work to be done, except cosmetic. Usually little land, but Scotland has right-to-roam legislation, so neighbouring farmland is open for them to wander.

3) Spacious (4 bed) modern houses. No serious work needed. Little land, but adjacent to farmland (see above).

I have no fear of old buildings (grew up in a house dated 1779) and we could afford to renovate #1 slowly: central heating and double glazing before winter; the rest over the next couple of years. However, that would cause a fair amount of disruption, and I'm not sure if that's fair on the kids. We do like the idea of having a bit of land though. #2 is fine, but we were hoping to get a place where it would be easy to welcome guests. #3 is the safe option, but I do like the feel of old buildings...

Your thoughts?

Laura

#1 - it sounds stunning!! Of course, I've been married for 15 years and we've been remodeling something ever since.

... and less work - especially the sweat equity kind. If you can hire out, disregard. If you can get a housekeeper, disregard:)

Otherwise, I'm for using my time to invest in my children directly. I'm currently living in a house larger than what we need and the upkeep is often frustrating for me. I am by no means a perfectionist - if you came to my home you'd see plenty left undone, btw.

My dc are getting older and are able and expected to take on more tasks, but I am also taking on "more" in the form of researching curricula and planning lessons - the older they get, the more time I need for this it seems (ages 9, 7, 5). Just my 2cents.

Btw, Laura, we are still rdg Swallows & Amazons - just finished Peter Duck! And have ordered the next 3 :D

Take care. Said a prayer for your family's next home!

Cheryl

I live in a #1 type house, and while I love it, there are days that I long for better insulation, windows that don't leak and central air. (We've insulated all we can; the historic district would make us put up the same windows and central air isn't in my budget!) I'd still probably choose the larger, older home if you can afford to have the work done to make it livable (by whatever standard you call livable).

Scotland...I would LOVE to see Scotland.

We live in a house that's not considered too old (1967), but I'm tired of the high electricity bills (from old, uninsulated windows). I'm also not into the renovating as it always costs more than one expects. I'm afraid to change anything because then everything else will look old and shabby next to it.

One ds has severe allergies and who knows what would happen if anything major in the house is disturbed. A friend of mine is renovating and her daughter has broken out in hives. So it's visits to the allergist, blood tests, etc. to try to find out what she's allergic to on top of all the stress from the renovation. I hope that after the renovations, her daughter is okay but you never know.

HTH,

Sandra

I would go for number one. My sons would jump at the chance to get involved in renovating their own home. Even just the opportunity to watch would thrill them.

Having just spent the better part of two years renovating, I can honestly say that the life skills my girls have learned have been incredible. We've definitely made it a family affair (we're DIYers). Additionally, I watched my parents do the same thing when I was a teen. It took them a year. *30* years later, our entire extended family continues to enjoy the fruit of their labor. We hope the same will be said for our home.

Certainly, there are moments when dh worries he's lost too much time from the kids but the girls immediately reply with something to the effect that they are so thankful we've done what we've done and that they *have* had great times with him (working and otherwise). (We were very careful to take a couple weeks of vacation each year during this time to ensure downtime in the midst of it all).

I guess I've shared all that to say I vote for #1. :001_smile: Happy decision making!

Since I'm living in a never-ending renovation project, I'd go w/#3. Old houses are great and I do love them, BUT living through project after project stinks. W/your dc being really too young to do much construction work, it all falls on you & dh & whomever you hire. If your dh is like mine & can do "everything," that's great except that he still has to work to pay for the place which leaves him little time to do the house projects. That means it either takes 40x longer to complete or you pay someone else. I'd like to have a house to live in, not be the #1 thing in my life. Even new houses have projects to do, but they're not as major as a totally new central heat system (in Scotland, that sounds pretty important), and non-drafty windows. Sorry to be a sour-grape, but JMO, of course.

I vote for #3.

I like old houses if things are livable or if you can hire someone to do the repairs. DIY projects always seem to

be more trouble than one expects and too stressful on the family to live through. (My dad always wanted to build his own house. When I was in fourth grade he started it. My parents live in the house today and it is still only half done!)

No 1 has my head spinning with envy! If its built from stone, and Scotland's cooler (I think) anyway, you may not need a/c. I would buy a fan.:drool5:

Old houses need central heating systems - usually gas or oil, used for heating radiators in each room.

Laura