Menu

MTV 1st airing ever, who remembers this night?

Ah, I watched it. I remember the advertisements and the radio talking about it for days and days.

I loved MTV when it first aired. It was like a visual radio station with "DJs". Now, I think it is a reality drop-off. Sad.

Remember when VH1 aired too? I watched VH1 in the morning. :)

I was just going into 8th grade. I listen to the 80's channel on Sirius XM in my car and think it's so funny that some of the original MTV VJ's host those shows. Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood, Alan Hunter and Mark Goodman. I love my 80's. :tongue_smilie:

I think the first song was "Radio Killed the Radio Start."

LOL, I'm pretty sure it was Video Killed the Radio Star, and yes, I remember it. We were visiting my grandparents for a few weeks and my cousins and I were gathered around the TV in their LR staring at the blank screen just waiting to see what it would be like. We watched for HOURS, never moving. I loved the VJ's. Remember them? Martha and Colin were 2 of my favorites. Ah, I miss when MTV played music. You know, back in the "good old days."

Ahhhh... back when Music Television meant they played music!

What is scary now is I remember when they started VH1 and we were all "Ewww it's old people music! It's MTV for old people!"

My music is now "classic' and 'oldies'! How did THAT happen!

We've been in Dayton about 3 weeks. About a week ago I found an awesome radio station. It is all 80's! It's my high school boom box all over again!

I remember people talking about it. We didn't have cable, and in general, my parents didn't approve of us watching MTV. I do remember for my 15th birthday a few years later, we had moved again and gotten cable, and I had 2 friends over for a sleepover and mom let us put MTV on while we giggled about boys, etc.

We were at the rodeo a few weeks ago, and they were advertising Def Leppard and Poison coming soon on the Rock of Ages tour. My dc started calling it Rock of the Aged. I started to protest, but they were right. :ack2:

I was in graduate school and working as a bartender with lots of other college kids. The boss would only play sports on the bar's tv but as soon as he would leave to run errands we would switch to MTV. The bar had huge glass windows so we could see his car pulling into the parking lot and would switch the channel back to sports . None of the customers ever told him.

I didn't see that particular thing (born in 74 and my parents wouldn't have let me stay up for that). I do recall the very early days of MTV though. And I really miss the fact they don't play music anymore.

Ditto everything Wendy said, except I was born in '75. :) I miss the old days. And I went to the Wiki list and man, that's some good music!!

Oh, I remember!!!! I was in high school in the 80's. Back when MTV first arrived and still played music. When HBO came out and only played on the weekends.

And running home to see the premier of Michaels Jackson's "Thriller" video.

Geesh, I am dating myself.

Ahhhh... back when Music Television meant they played music!

What is scary now is I remember when they started VH1 and we were all "Ewww it's old people music! It's MTV for old people!"

We've been in Dayton about 3 weeks. About a week ago I found an awesome radio station. It is all 80's! It's my high school boom box all over again!

Haahaha!!! It WAS MTV for old people....all "soft rock" type stuff! Too funny:lol:

I do remember this....and the weeks of "I want my MTV!" commercials leading up to it!

I didn't see that particular thing (born in 74 and my parents wouldn't have let me stay up for that). I do recall the very early days of MTV though. And I really miss the fact they don't play music anymore.

I was only 6, but we had a babysitter over that night. She let me stay up. It is one of my earlier memories