Menu

Whatcha making for the Superbowl?

My ds's youth group is splitting up along grade lines. He invited the 9th graders here - so we'll have about 15 boys and then as many girls as want to be "where the boys are."

They are all bringing something, but I am making that 'Texas favorite' cheese dip/ tortilla chips, and sweet nothings (CHEX and pretzels in the chocolate, peanut butter sauce, covered with powdered sugar). Both were requested by ds.

We have a pair of season tickets for the ballet, because my son is a dancer. Normally, I take him, but this time my husband is going, because they are doing a ballet adaptation of "Pirates of Penzance."

I've been on the road with my son for various reasons for about two weeks, so I'm planning to stay home and sleep!

--Jenny

Saute in olive oil for about 3-5 minutes:

Small onion

garlic

a few leaves of fresh cilantro (if you have it)

add a tablespoon of Adobo (Spanish seasoning)

Add to sauteed (above)

1 can of black beans

1 large diced tomato

2 cups corn (frozen)

pinch of chili powder

simmer or 20 minutes

Add to mix,

1 sm. can tomato paste

1 can black beans (these have been mashed)

Cook for another 15 minutes and add salt and pepper to taste.

After mix has cooled , smother mix onto a tortilla ,sprinkle with cheese( I like sharp cheddar), top it off with another tortilla and flatten.

I wrap each in saran wrap and refrigerate. Put on the grill, or in the stove on a cookie sheet, for the cheese to melt fully. Cut like pizza. I serve them with a tray of sour cream, guacamole and hot salsa.

You can also use this ad a dip and serve with tortilla chips.

I also make Key Lime chicken wings, hot wings, choclate "dump" truffel, egg and tuna mini sandwiches, sherbet fizz punch and the always left over veggie tray..lol

Ds(15) will be making his choice of burger, a spicy jalepeno burger.

He'll also do a cheese dip w/ corn chips.

Dh is blowing his low carb diet for the day and has requested chex party mix.

And... as if the previous stuff weren't enough... it's younger ds's 13th birthday so we'll be diving into a huge chocolate cake as well!

I don't care who wins the game, I just like watching good plays and shouting at the tv. :D

We love football (college more than pro though) so we'll be having a mexican dip and chips, soda, and I'm going to make some chicken bacon wraps! The chicken bacon wraps recipe is from Paula Deen. It is very easy to make and the kids love it when I make them (hubby does too).....here's the recipe if anyone is interested-makes great finger food!

Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps

1 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)

1 lb package sliced bacon

2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar

2 TBSP chili powder

Preheat oven to 350. Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes. Cut each bacon slice into thirds. Wrap each chicken cube with bacon and secure with a wooden toothpick. Stir together brown sugar and chili powder. Dredge wrapped chicken into mixture. Coat a broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken wraps on the broiler pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until bacon is crisp.

Chili cheese dip with Frito's sounds yummy, do you make a regular thick hot chili and serve them with the chips or is it different?

No - I don't make the chili for it (I'm much too lazy for that! :cool: ). A package of cream cheese, a can of chili, a good glug of salsa and some chopped up jalapenos, a handful of shredded nacho cheese. Mix together, top with another handful of shredded cheese and bake in the oven until hot.

A Subway Party Sub, crackers and a layered spreadable cheese "layer cake" (chipotle cheddar, pepper jack, white cheddar... via Sam's Club), Tortilla chips and Salsa, potato chips, fruit tray, veggie tray, Cheesecake Factory brand Cheesecake.. Yes, it's a dieter's nightmare except for the fruit, veggies and sub.

We aren't big sports fans here, but we'll have the game playing. DH will watch at least some of the game. We are having chili. We'll snack on tortilla chips and salsa. I'm more interested in watching the half time show and then watching the new House episode after the super bowl though. :D

The kids and I aren't going to watch it. DH is going to Scranton tomorrow afternoon, so he'll watch it for sure and be glad for the peace and quiet.

I don't need to watch it. I know which team is going to win.

:D

I'm going to make chili and other mexican foods tomorrow to celebrate! I'm a huge Red Sox fan, but the Pats are cool, too. If this was the World Series, I wouldn't be so sanguine -- I'd be a nervous wreck.

RC