Menu

Has the economy effected the way you do things at your house?

Well... we're being more conservative than we might be about house expenses... If real estate was still increasing in price we might be more apt to throw more money at our house knowing we'd get it back when we sell (not in the near future or anything, just thinking long term), but as it is I'm leaning toward just the minimum needed to keep it up.

Grocery shopping hasn't changed for me, but then we've been pretty frugal about that all along.

Oh yes, grocery prices have increased dramatically and so have energy costs. Then there is gas on top of that. And, don't even get me started on the taxes we pay in NY state. We have altered our lifestyle. We drive less, turn the heat down more often, use compact flourescent bulbs, and try to buy less expensive grocery items. We are definately in a recession, even if the government doesn't want to admit it. Our taxes (property and school) and insurance are more per month than our mortgage. Sometimes I loathe NY!

Thanks for the replies...It was a hard trip to the grocery store. Particularly, because I could tell I wasn't the only one struggling. I saw a young couple holding a loaf of bread, wandering around the store looking for something they could afford to put on it. They were just average people. Its hard to see.

Fruit goes through price cycles and right now grapes and cherries are very expensive but oranges are cheaper thant hey were a few months ago and organic apples are about the same price I've paid for a while. I get what we need somethings have gone up but there are staples of thigns I just always get. Then again, where I live it's cheap housing, ins, taxes etc. We are usually the last to feel recession at all. Houses are still selling, people are still eating out, shopping etc for and groceries are going up but have beena bout the same for the past 6 months or so. There were always things I buy more of when it's on sale but less when not but I don't overpay for items.

Don't forget the time of year.

When I was student teaching in Baltimore, I was a little surprised when my mentor teacher commented that about half the class would be different kids after 2/1. When I asked why, she explained that a lot of families over-extend themselves for Christmas and then can't pay the January rent. By February they've had to move someplace else. Late January/February can be really tough months for folks living on the financial edge, recession or no recession.

Because of our economy in the states..our dollar is worth less here in Europe. The euro rate for housing and all the extra expenses we pay for here are killling us. We make extremely good money, but I can't imagine the younger couples living here. It's really expensive to shop on the economy for just the basic things they don't have on post. Definitely doing things a little different in our house.

We've always shopped sales and bartered when we could with our network of friends. My dh is mechanically inclinded and likes to do other people's taxes, so we get haircuts and some home repair stuff done in exchange for his services!

My dh works mainly on commission and he hasn't seen a big drop (yet) in sales. He sells car parts, so people trying to keep their older cars running keeps us afloat. I know new car and used car sales have been affected by the credit crunch in our area. People around here (No VA) used to tap into their home equity like it was free money to buy luxury items - now that tap has run dry.

We have noticed the increase in the cost of groceries and gas. If anything my dh and I have made a greater effort to save on these two items. He drives a 89 Accord to work (35 mpg+) and I try to limit out of town activities to karate twice a week - I drive my Civic and leave my CR-V parked. I am fortunate that I live within 2-3 miles of grocery shopping and the library. He works near a COSTCO, so we don't have to make extra trips to save.

Even with the drop in housing values, we are considering finishing our basement. We bought in 2001 and know that we still have plenty of equity in our home (probably close to 100%). A finished basement would help us sell or rent our home faster if we got an opportunity to move elsewhere. We have the cash to pay for what we can't do ourselves. So, 2008 may be a year that we actually SPEND money.

k

Some, but I am still buying fruit, I just buy what's in season and on sale. Actually our Meijer ran grapes this week for $1.28 a pound. Any other time I would not buy them, but I did this week.

We have a big University, so it helps to keep the economy going here. Lots of competition between grocery stores too.

I've always tried to be frugal when it comes to groceries, I just try and stock up more now when things go on sale.

Kristine

I'm planning to stock up on grains & other staples on my co-op order this month. I filled out my order form for Feb, but just got the March catalog before turning my order in. I always check ahead to make sure my items won't be going on sale, which would make it prudent to hold tight for a month. A #25 bag of grain has gone up about $5 in just one month! I'm glad I'm ordering in Feb!! And I ordered enough to last us quite a long time.

And I've also found local suppliers for dairy, beef, & pork. The milk is currently about a dollar per gallon less than the supermarket, and we go through a gallon per day~! The meat is comparable in price to supermarket sales. Yee haw!

And we're planning to grow our own eggs in the spring (along with a good size garden). Eggs are $2.30/dozen at the supermarket. I recently saw a local family selling them for $1.75! So hopefully, it will be a cost-effective time investment.

I think I'm generally pretty thrifty anyway.

We are trying to make our trips to town count for more now that we live out in the country and gas costs more. If I could only train the kids to tell me when we are out of things! I hate getting home from running errands in town to hear, "Oh, btw, we're out of dog food." Well, I'm not scheduled to go back into town for another two days. Will they ever learn? We do have a tiny grocery and a Family Dollar 2 miles away, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it. I do think we're gradually getting better and putting fewer miles on the car/spending less in gas.

I'm not terribly worried about the economy though. Yes, I'm paying close attention, but I'm not overly concerned. We will try to make smart choices for our family as always, no matter what the circumstances. Sometimes we succeed and sometimes we don't, but we always try.

If I could only train the kids to tell me when we are out of things! I hate getting home from running errands in town to hear, "Oh, btw, we're out of dog food." Well, I'm not scheduled to go back into town for another two days. Will they ever learn?

Will *who* ever learn? ;)

We have a small dry-erase board on the fridge where we write down something that has run out. You could have a "family meeting" where you set a rule to write it down at a certain place *as soon as* someone notices it has or is about to run out.

Also, it is a good idea to send everyone to check on the remaining levels of necessities *before* making that trip into town. Making a quick list just before leaving might alleviate the problem.

I specifically ask about dog and cat food since we've had a problem with that. Whenever I find out we are out (or almost out) and I've just gotten back from town, I ask why they didn't tell me. They always say they didn't know. I know there are four kids and they take turns feeding the animals, but one of them should know. (Like whoever fed them last!) I suppose I could tromp down to the barn and out to the dog pen to check myself before going, but there are usually other things I'm doing at that time. I do need to get a magnetic list pad for the fridge, but I am just not sure it will help much.

We are having to be more creative. And believe it or not, we are no longer doing menus like we used to. Instead I keep stocked up on staples and I check the manager's markdown area for meat, I buy the produce that is on sale or generally affordable anyway, and we "make do".

I remember seeing an interview with an older couple who were perplexed with the shopping habits of young people. They said folks (back in the day) did not make menus and have elaborate shopping lists. They ate what was in the house. They did not cook what they wanted to cook, they cooked what they had. I guess this is a principle we are learning to live by more and more. Our meal plan is greatly simplified and we are "playing" with our food less than we used to, but everyone is eating. And I am still managing to get some of the important things in organic. (Not meat, though,:( we still eat that Kroger meat, I just can't stretch the budget to get the good stuff)

We have cut breakfast cereal and lunchmeat out for the most part and that has helped. It does mean that we have to cook breakfast every morning and I hate that. I am not a morning person and I miss the days of putting 6-7 boxes of cereal on the counter and shouting, "Kids, get your breakfast!" and then taking my coffee and finding someplace to hide from them.

Thanks Ladies,

This has actually been kind of encouraging. I think that the changes we are making were ones that needed to be made no matter what the economic situation. Hopefully, when things get better, we can still live with the changes we have made. It feels good to be less wasteful and to keep the car parked most of the week.

I never thought we would be the single-income homeschool family, but my sister gave me that WTM book when I was pregnant with my first born. Things have not been the same since!!! What an adventure.

The housing market debacle has definitely been a problem for us!

DH is commission only, and over the past half year or more has had several months that he brought home only 1K or 2K, which certainly doesn't even cover our mortgage, much less other bills. A couple months, he didn't make anything at all. In fact, he will not get any paycheck in February.

Each month I ask him if it's time for me to go back to work yet, so far he seems to think we will pull through. I'm not so sure though.

Michelle T

Sure, were feeling it. Fruit is usually more expensive here this time of year, but the cost is up even for this time of year. We are buying what is on sale and eating even cheaper meals than normal for our very limited budget. I have noticed other people having a hard time at the store as well.

We have cut back on discretionary spending and eat out less frequently. We are also more careful about using what we have. Dh works from home two days a week to cut down on gasoline costs. This is probably the first time we have tightened the belt in 20 years. I don't know how people who live from paycheck to paycheck can cope with the price increases I've seen in gasoline and groceries.

Most of the following are things we already do, but cinched it in a bit more.

1. We cut employee hours so dh is working more.

2. We are wearing jackets indoors, keeping the furnace lower and burning less wood.

3. More scratch cooking.

4. Eat out less.

5. Driving less miles, ie: fewer trips

6. I like to brainstorm and think of ideas to make money, dh likes to cut expenses so that is what we do.

One way to make $$$ here is by contacting the local newspaper. They always have one time jobs that they are glad to pay you to do, like deliver activity guides to hotels - $25.00 for a couple hours of work, collect unused paper boxes at $3.00 a piece, occasionally drop off papers to route drivers for $50.00 each time. None of that is hired work, they just pay you to run errands and if you're quick about it, the pay is good. I did sign a contract so I do get a 1099 each year. They call and ask if I want to do things and I have the option of saying yes or no.

We combed over the budget and trimmed it further so we could increase our emergency fund. I think we're going to need it.

We're a little disappointed because our tax refund is going to have to purchase a new car for dh, his died last week, rather than finding a place in the emergency fund. But we're thinking carefullly about finding a fuel efficient car. And we're taking our sweet time finding it too. No hurry--wait til we get that check.

As for eating - digging deep into the freezers and making 5 of the week's meals from the garden produce is very high on the list. Mostly a trip to the store is to buy milk, fruit, and occassionally eggs (I do get some from my mother's flock from time-to-time) It's a very consious effort to not eat extravagantly. Kids are learning the difference between want and need.

We aren't eating out either. It's way too expensive. A trip to McDonald's would set us back $28 dollars these days.

I am putting together my order from our Food Co-Op too. I'd love to hear what other ladies buy from their Co-Op regularily.

DH was laid off in October, so we cut back drastically at Christmas and the January birthdays. We have also lowered the thermostat, cut down on errands, and tried to shop more frugally. I'm a pretty frugal shopper by nature, but had gotten into the habit of picking up a couple of convenient snacks each week.

He started his new job last week (Hurray!!!), but will have a longer commute and will have to pay for parking. I foresee us staying on this trek for a long while yet.

Cathy

I am putting together my order from our Food Co-Op too. I'd love to hear what other ladies buy from their Co-Op regularily.

I order from a food co-op also. I usually get oatmeal, cocoa, lentils, dry beans, wheat, spices. We can do casesplits and you put how much you want and as long as it fills, the order will get put in.

Also one other thing, my dh takes his lunch everyday and almost always takes a sandwich(he works construction, so no way to reheat stuff) I have learned that I can buy a whole ham in the meat section and have the meat counter slice it. It will last quite a few months, I just portion it out and freeze it. I did this today, the ham was $1.79 a pound (not the cheapest I ever paid, usually I can get it from $1.20-$1.50) but it's still better than $3.99 that the deli wants. I've been doing this for years.

Kristine

DH lost job. We use only one car. Eating what we have in the house and quickly finishing any health care issues before healthcare policy lapses the first of March. The house is colder, and we are ebaying some of our stuff. I'm looking forward to new employment. It's coming but it's never soon enough for me.

that I really haven't noticed much of a difference in anything; not one that affects us tremendously anyway. Yes, gas is up, but it has been for a few months and it actually dropped 5 cents/gallon locally this week. I find some grocery items higher, but we tend to shop sales anyway and/or co-op, and the things we buy the most of are not really changing. I shop the produce markets for our produce (except things I will only buy organic which I get from a grocery or Whole Foods), and I only buy the stuff that is a good deal.

Right now I am getting avocadoes 2 for $1. That is almost unheard of! They are normally a buck a piece, and I buy them at that price. Now, I'm buying as many as I can use in a reasonable time and sticking them in the fridge. We buy lots of oranges and organic carrots for juicing and those prices are fine right now. I buy apples for eating and juicing and I have found them a little high, but I'm buying them anyway. Mangoes were on sale the other day 2 for $1 so I got some of those for fruit smoothies. If I can't find good fresh stuff, I buy frozen fruits for smoothies and stretch them with organic vanilla yogurt and skim milk.

Our milk has gone up. We drink from a local dairy that doesn't homogenize (or we buy organic). The gallons are $4.99 - $5.50, depending on where you shop. We aren't big milk drinkers though, and go through 1 1/2 gallons/week, if that.

Our meat costs stay the same. I have stopped eating meat and so has oldest dd. My hubby killed 4 deer this year so that probably has him covered for quite a few months. When we buy, we buy angus from my sister who raises them with no hormones or antibiotics. We usually get 1/4 cow. I do purchase organic chicken (when I buy it) from our farmer's market. It is expensive so right now I'm not buying much of that. We don't purchase other meats. I don't like to buy any processed meats because of nitrates so for sandwiches, its pb&j, veggies, or nothing...

I feel like we are eating out less, but that is more because of our vegetarianism (it's hard to find places to eat truly good veg food). It does give me a little leeway on the grocery bill though, although we usually spend $500/month including dog/cat food and all toilet/cleaning items for our family of 6 + my mom eating with us at night. I haven't found it difficult to stay within that limit... yet.

I have noticed a huge difference in food but just about everything else is the same for us. We didn't refinance or take out a second during the housing boom and so we are sitting pretty compared to a lot of folks. We don't have a car payment. Food and clothing is really the only place I'm noticing the crunch. This winter I bought the kids more of those cheapy sweats for around the house and saved the nicer clothes for errand day. That helped with $$. And we are eating out less often. I haven't given up Starbucks yet so things can't be too bad for us.:rolleyes:

I've stopped using a credit card to pay for all my purchases, allowing my husband to just pay one bill at the end of the month. I'm allotting myself a certain amount of money per week for all my usual expenses of groceries, household supplies, lunches or snacks out, and gas. I'm using cash in order to be able to train myself to better gauge the amount I'm spending each week and so that I can see that I'm staying within the budget I've set for myself. As such, I already find that I'm making more careful decisions about how to spend my money each week, juggling expenses to spread them out more evenly over the course of the month, being more careful of impulse buying, etc.

Regena

We have tightened our belts as my husband is on commission only and his work has been down for 2 years now. We've almost gone through all our savings.......so we are really feeling the heat.

Some things I do are

lowering the thermostat

less eating out

conserve gas by combining errands

better use of leftovers

more careful at the grocery store

Also one other thing, my dh takes his lunch everyday and almost always takes a sandwich(he works construction, so no way to reheat stuff) I have learned that I can buy a whole ham in the meat section and have the meat counter slice it. It will last quite a few months, I just portion it out and freeze it. I did this today, the ham was $1.79 a pound (not the cheapest I ever paid, usually I can get it from $1.20-$1.50) but it's still better than $3.99 that the deli wants. I've been doing this for years.

Thanks for this idea. I was going to buy deli meat the other day. When I did the math I realized that it was roughly $1.25 a sandwich for the "all natural kind." I decided we would go the PB & J route for a little while.

I think the hardest part is having my book budget cut.