Menu

What to do with blueberries..

DH brought home two boxes full (10 lbs to be exact) last week. They are in the fridge and I just don't love blueberries.

What do I do with them? Do they make good jam?? He told me last night I needed to do SOMETHING with them before they went bad.

Suggestions? Recipes?

Make a pie, make jam, at out of hand, add to a salad, and add to smoothies.

I'll try to do some jam.. Can you freeze a pie and gift it? Lol. I just don't love them! I'm trying to think of things I can make now, and freeze or store to give away.. I should have been clearer.

I wish I was more adventurous in the kitchen. I might know how to do something with these!

My daughter made blueberry crisp last night :drool5:. We eat them by the handful, in smoothies, pancakes and waffles, on salads and cereal. Blueberries freeze well and you can have blueberry pancakes this winter!

Now blueberry crisp might just be delicious.. Hmmm..

Barefoot Contessa has the BEST lemon blueberry muffins I know of. If you really wanna get crazy, make a crumb topping.

Ooooh, good one! Thanks!!

you can freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Once they're all frozen, you can put them in a freezer bag. They make really good snacks just by themselves, kinda like frozen grapes. My kids love eating frozen blueberries.

you can freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Once they're all frozen, you can put them in a freezer bag. They make really good snacks just by themselves, kinda like frozen grapes. My kids love eating frozen blueberries.

Yes, this. I got 20lbs. last week, kept some out to eat fresh and froze the rest. We use them in muffins, pancakes, oatmeal, lots of baked goods, smoothies. I even put the frozen ones into fruit salad and it was great!

:iagree: I freeze them and use them in smoothies and baking.

My children loved them in baked oatmeal.

Well 20 pounds is just about right for fresh snacking for a week around here. I've bought around 125 pounds so far this year and only about half of that made it in the freezer.

Besides the other suggestions, we like them cooked with sugar and a little water to make a syrup for pancakes/waffles or you could add thickener and chill for a topping for ice cream. My kids love to eat them straight from the freezer. Nice snack for hot days.

As far as freezing, we just wash and lay on a towel until mostly dry. I freeze them in a quart ziplock bag. A gentle tap separates them and I find this to be much easier than finding room in the freezer for a big pan and then have to take them out again and bag them.

You can make a pie and then freeze it (raw). Do NOT freeze a cooked pie. You bake it frozen, just add extra time.

That being said, I like fresh blueberry pies more than cooked ones.

Whenever we pick berries, I freeze most of them. I also don't like blueberry jam particularly.

Well 20 pounds is just about right for fresh snacking for a week around here.

My thoughts exactly! Twenty pounds of blueberries (or any other berry!) go fast around here. I usually freeze well over 100 of blueberries each year. It's so easy to add a handful to pancakes, muffins, scones, oatmeal, smoothies ~ whatever! I prefer the taste of raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries, but for ease of use, blueberries are the best. You don't have to (shouldn't, in fact) wash before freezing, and they don't have to be individually quick frozen, either. Toss 'em into freezer bags or glass jars and that's that.

I just made blueberry gingerbread yesterday. You can make it with blackberries, too. Frozen berries are just as good as fresh, so you can make it all year long. YUM!!

Ya know what? One day I'm going to show up on your doorstep, my visit nicely timed to coincide with the arrival of your fresh gingerbread. I love your recipe and make it a fair amount, but the consistency is never quite right for me. (Btw..."hi"!:))

Edited by Colleen
-

I second this. That's what I do if I'm not sure what to do with something, but I don't want it to spoil. You can make blueberry sauce for pancakes as a gift?

This is what I do. My kids don't like fresh blueberries very much, but they will gobble them up frozen.

I would wash them, spread the, on paper towels to dry fully, then freeze them. We buy them by the huge bag for smoothies. They make a lovely pie or cobbler or crisp. You can actually make a really nice peach or apple pie with about a cup of berries mixed in - makes either one sort of lovely.

Or resolve to make blueberry muffins for every new neighbor, new baby, etc.

We own three high yielding bushes and have had bumper crops of blueberries every summer for the past ten years. Thankfully, we LOVE blueberries and eat them year round.

I'd recommend freezing them if you aren't sure what to do with them right away. If you lay them out on a cookie tray and place in the freezer just until solid, you can then pour them like gravel into quart size freezer bags and in turn, pour out the amount you need periodically without having to thaw the entire amount at once.

Now, what to do with them? Well, first of all they taste wonderful in your morning cereal. They also work great in smoothies either by themselves or mixed with other fruit. They are a nice add in to pancakes and muffins. They make delicious jams, jellies and syrup. Blueberry cobbler is a real favorite at our house, and blueberry pies are wonderful as well. Both dessert choices topped with whipped cream or ice cream are a great summer time treat. Sometimes we pour a few of the frozen berries into a fruit salad or use a few as a garnish for other fruit dishes or desserts. Sometimes when I have vanilla yogurt on hand I add a few berries and a bit of granola for a tasty breakfast dish or snack. They can be added to a green salad (instead of craisins or mandarin oranges) for a bite of sweet here and there. This is especially good with almonds and thinly sliced sweet onions. Blueberries also make delicious sauce to top ice cream, pound cake or cheesecake. Basically, you can do anything with blueberries that you'd do with other types of berries.

We're going to move sometime next year and one of the saddest things to consider as we make plans is that we'll be leaving our blueberries behind.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Oooh, the oatmeal idea is a great one! (well, they ALL are)

Tonight I did a blueberry cobbler in the crockpot. It was easy and pretty good. A little rich, but good. I also did a batch of blueberry jam.

The rest will be frozen via the cookiesheet idea. But to be clear, once frozen, can I still go back and use them for regular baking? Pies and everything?

The rest will be frozen via the cookiesheet idea. But to be clear, once frozen, can I still go back and use them for regular baking? Pies and everything?

Yes! I put them in muffins.

Some things, you need to thaw and drain first, others use frozen.

:iagree:You just have to freeze them enough so they don't freeze together, not ROCK hard. Scrape them off with a spatula and bag.

Also, you can puree and freeze in one cup amounts to put in smoothies. So good for you.

I would make blueberry peach cobbler and freeze the rest. I like doing the blueberry and peaches together for the cobbler because that way it isn't so overwhelmingly blueberry. Also, I would use the frozen ones in smoothies all year.

Someone must have said this already. :) They freeze *beautifully*. Put them on a cookie tray (so they don't freeze all squashed together) and then put them in the freezer however you wish. Some people put them in baggies, some in jars. It's lovely to have organic berries in Feb!