Menu

What did you use for 9th Grade Ancients

I am going back an forth about what curriculum or spine to use for 9th Grade. We are going to do Ancients first and to be honest - I can't make up my mind.

I also have a rising 4th grader who will be doing Ancients this year too. I considered MOH but I remember trying that many years ago and didn't like it, sold it and can't remember why. I am still not ruling MOH out.

My DS (rising 9th) loves to read and is very fascinated with Greek Mythology.

Some of the other choices I have considered are:

BF - Ancients

Illuminations

MOH (alone)

Create my own thing (but with what)

Does anyone have suggestions?

We used Susan Wise Bauer's History of the Ancient World and we love it. It is very well written. In concert with that we also have an Usborne ancient world book to supplement, and we listen to various Teaching Company lectures that I get from the library to supplement.

Dd takes notes on each chapter in HOAW. At some point this summer I will require her to write a paper on a history topic of her choosing. I had intended to do two papers this year, but chose instead to have dd participate in a Civil War history simulation with friends as a special unit study this spring. It had nothing to do with ancient times but was a really cool educational opportunity.

We did Ancients a la old-school-WTM. We used Spielvogel, read the classics, discussed ideas, and wrote papers. Near the end, dd also read SWB's HOAW.

We pulled in many other resources as well: some chapters from Omnibus, HTRAB, Invitation to the Classics, Teaching Company lectures, various guides to books...

I vote for doing it on your own! :001_smile:

I am planning on MOH as the spine for my ds during high school. We will be doing the Ancients in 9th grade. Here is what I have planned for him to "beef it up" for high school:

1. He will read the Illiad and the Odyssey and some other historical fiction.

2. We are also planning a mythology study using Memoria Press materials and TTC lectures on mythology.

3. I am adding in Famous Men of Greece and Rome.

4. I have TTC lectures on Pharoah's of Ancient Egypt. I am requiring him to write a paper in King Tut.

5. In addition he will research several major world religions and write a paper comparing/contrasting them to Christianity. I have several other essays planned as well.

6. We will also do a timeline and read a good portion of the Old Testament.

I am looking forward to history with him. I want him to enjoy it and retain the information. I think the plan of doing MOH throughout high school will help meet those goals.

Neither of my kids has ended up doing ancients in ninth grade. My daughter covered that period in 10th, though.

We used the appropriate sections of the National Geographic Visual History of the World ( http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/national-geographic-visual-history-of-the-world-national-geographic/1102785073?ean=9780792236955 ) along with sections of The Mammoth Book of How It Happened ( http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mammoth-Book-of-how-It-Happened/Jon-E-Lewis/e/9780786717033 ). And she read the entries in The Book of Great Books whenever there was one about the work she was reading.

She did context pages as explained in TWTM and wrote about each thing she read.

It worked pretty well.

With my son, we've more or less jumped off the chronological history train for high school.

Bibliplan as follows:

BP Companion & Cool History - weekly work & tests

BP Bible - Victor Journey, which is scheduled, plus Old Testament Challenge for Bible readings

BP literature - Smarr plus TC lectures

BP geography - maps & tests

We use additional resources for art, architecture and history of economics.

Edited by 1Togo

Dd used Biblioplan Year 1 with Glencoe's World History as a spine. It is a great textbook. She did use the Companion Text as well as the Cool History weekly work/tests and the Advanced Maps. For literature, I tweaked BP some and had her read these as well as using MFW's Ancient Literature supplement.

Adam and His Kin (she had never read it)

The Epic of Gilgamesh (MFW Anc Lit Supp)

The Cat of Bubastes

The Odyssey (MFW Anc Lit Supp)

Bulfinch's Greek and Roman Mythology (MFW Anc Lit Supp)

The Aeneid (bought a Smarr Guide)

I forgot to add that Biblioplan schedules the entire family, so you would have plenty of options for your younger child. My 3rd grader did it last year, too. We had never used SOTW, so that was my spine for him.

Edited by mom31257

Tapestry of Grace :)

:iagree:

If you do want to combine the two students, then this would be a good choice. They offer both a strong history and lit component with nice add ons that bring in the Bible both as history and lit.

We did Ancients a la old-school-WTM. We used Spielvogel, read the classics, discussed ideas, and wrote papers. Near the end, dd also read SWB's HOAW.

We pulled in many other resources as well: some chapters from Omnibus, HTRAB, Invitation to the Classics, Teaching Company lectures, various guides to books...

I vote for doing it on your own! :001_smile:

Hey Angela, a question for you.

Would it look better on a transcript to have a traditional text alongside SWB or does it matter? I started building a plan with an AP world history text I had on hand from my oldest, but as I worked through HOAW, a bunch of lit tie-ins smacked me on the head and I think I could end up with a cool study using HOAW.

. I considered MOH but I remember trying that many years ago and didn't like it, sold it and can't remember why. I am still not ruling MOH out.

My DS (rising 9th) loves to read and is very fascinated with Greek Mythology.

I had a copy of MOH sitting on my shelf for many years. I bought it and it just did not click. After our move I came across it again when I was unpacking books and looked through it...looking at it for HS instead of elementary, and was wowed. We used it this past year for ds (9th) and he said it was the only history he has done that did not put him to sleep and demanded we only use MOH for the rest of his history courses. He did do a lot of research and writing but I cut back on his English writing to compensate. He was constently coming to tell me what he learned..."Did you know?" happened frequently after doing MOH.

Thought I would mention since my ds is a mythology junkie too that this year for English and Latin he is using Classical Mythology and More along with Latina Mythica.

If you do want to combine the two students, then this would be a good choice. .

We used TOG for 5th grade (Upper Grammar level), and now this coming year we're back to Ancients for 9th, this time with Rhetoric & Dialectic levels. This will be my 5th year with TOG, and I'm looking forward to finally delving into Rhetoric-level studies!

We used Omnibus I with Spielvogel. We didn't do the secondary reading and added in a few other books. We also listened to Vandiver's TC lecture on The Odyssey (EXCELLENT). It was our first year of homeschooling.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably do Omnibus with HOAW and some deeper writing than we did.

We used Susan Wise Bauer's History of the Ancient World and we love it. It is very well written. In concert with that we also have an Usborne ancient world book to supplement, and we listen to various Teaching Company lectures that I get from the library to supplement.

We did the same and it worked out very well for ds15.

History Odyssey is also an option.

This is what we are doing too. Tweaked of course, doing the literature (Gilgamesh, Iliad & Odyssey) totally separate from HO since we will be reading more lit than what HO has scheduled, plus adding TC courses for the literature.

Also leaving out most the scheduled writing assignments since we are going to be using Classical Writing.

Decided to go with HO because it scheduled in How to Read a Book (with the guide book) and Rulebook of Arguement.

RhondaM.

Hey Angela, a question for you.

Would it look better on a transcript to have a traditional text alongside SWB or does it matter? I started building a plan with an AP world history text I had on hand from my oldest, but as I worked through HOAW, a bunch of lit tie-ins smacked me on the head and I think I could end up with a cool study using HOAW.

I don't know. I'm going with the fact that the amount and substance of the Great Books my dc read will wow them so much, they won't care what else we used. :lol: We have the Spielvogel, which I figure will make anybody who questions feel better, because it is a traditional college level text, even though we divided it up over four years. HOAW would be more than that, and SWB is a respected author.

Dd takes notes on each chapter in HOAW. At some point this summer I will require her to write a paper on a history topic of her choosing. I had intended to do two papers this year, but chose instead to have dd participate in a Civil War history simulation with friends as a special unit study this spring. It had nothing to do with ancient times but was a really cool educational opportunity.

I used SWB's History of the Ancient World as the spine with Winter Promises Quest for the Ancient World set in 10th grade. The WP Quest series used Mystery of History, but it was too easy for my daughter. Susan's book is very well written, perfect for a high schooler to use.