Menu

I have never made tortillas before. Can I count on getting them right the first time?

If you have "real" tortillas, you will toss them out after you have one bite of your homemade tortillas. Mine came out fine the first time. No store-bought tortilla has passed any of our lips since. I have only made flour, not corn, though.

Terri

Recipes please???? We love tortillas here. Would love to make my own.

I thought I might go with this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/flour-tortillas-recipe/index.html

I read in the comments that lots of people used whatever fat they had on hand, rather than lard. I will probably have to substitute on that too, since I don't have lard in stock currently. :tongue_smilie:

How much practice have you had at rolling things out? Do you make cookies or pie crusts or anything else? I have been highly amused by some bloggers bragging about their tortillas they make all the time, with lots of proud photos of very misshapen tortillas! It takes practice to get a nice shape. Don't make them too thick, and make sure your pan is hot before you add the dough. Low and slow heat will make a cracke.r.

How much practice have you had at rolling things out? Do you make cookies or pie crusts or anything else? I have been highly amused by some bloggers bragging about their tortillas they make all the time, with lots of proud photos of very misshapen tortillas! It takes practice to get a nice shape. Don't make them too thick, and make sure your pan is hot before you add the dough. Low and slow heat will make a cracke.r.

I'm ok with rolling cookies and pie crusts. :D

Thanks for the tip about not going low & slow. I might have done that.

I'm ok with rolling cookies and pie crusts. :D

:lol:

Thanks for this thread. I've been wanting to do this for a few years, and the encouragement you've received has encouraged me too. I want to never buy store bought tortillas again! I want my kids to think I'm wonderful when I cook something so delicious and easy!

My rolling skills, however, will begin a long discussion on which of the United States their tortillas resemble. :)

I want to know how Julie's tortillas turned out!

I use the recipe from the Annie's Eats blog, which calls for shortening or butter. I use butter because that is what I have. After a couple of batches, I got tired of the rolling and bought a small tortilla press to speed things up. I still roll them a couple of times when they come out of the press. They are thicker than store-bought, but no one complains. Do not worry! NO ONE will complain if they are not perfectly round and thin. You will be shocked to find that something with so few ingredients can be so much better than the store-bought version.

Terri

They turned out fine!

I think my dough was a little on the dry side, so the rolling was a bit harder than it needed to be, and yes, it was a little difficult to get them round. ;)

Still, they were good, and my family liked them. They were pretty surprised that I'd "gone to all the trouble" to make them fresh tortillas when they're so easy to buy at the store. I explained that they were super-easy and fast, but I don't think my dh believed me (which is a *good* thing, 'cause now everyone will feel super-spoiled by having me make them, lol!).

Will making them with butter or lard taste substantially different than making them with Crisco?

post-517-13535087121173_thumb.jpg

Very nice! Much rounder than mine. (Note to self: Do not invite Stripe to dinner and serve tortillas.)

I like them with butter more than lard, which probably tastes the same as shortening, but no one else in my house cares one way or another. I find that what really makes a difference is putting a wee bit of butter on the skillet. They are yummy with or without, but if your butter is out anyway, try cooking them in a sliver of melted butter.

Terri

They turned out fine!

I think my dough was a little on the dry side, so the rolling was a bit harder than it needed to be, and yes, it was a little difficult to get them round. ;)

Hooray!

My daughter won't eat store bought tortillas. I made them once and she loooved them. We make other flatbreads at home. After years of practice, mine are round. I didn't really care about triangles, but my husband thought it was a bit hilarious and strange. I think they're cute that way! ;)

Yours look lovely. And very nicely shaped!