Menu

The French don't eat many raw veggies?

In my search for summer dinners, I scoured some of my old French cookbook (I Know How to Cook) and I couldn't find many summer 'no turning on the oven' foods.

Then I got on the internet and tried googling up some--to no avail. And then I read on David Lebovitz's blog (living in Paris, of Alice Waters Chez Pannise fame) that apart from a grated carrot salad, they just don't eat their vegetables raw. And I'm all like, :001_huh: ?

Anyone know why? Their summer food differs from their winter fare, no?

Well, I'm no expert, but when I was in France, we ate lots of raw veggies... straight out of the garden. Yum! I have family there, on my Dad's side, and they are mostly farmers. Most of the food they eat comes directly off the farm... meats, cheeses, and lots of veggies. We ate a lot of raw salads with tomatoes, green beans, various peppers, and onions. We also ate a lot of fresh fruit out of the garden. Maybe this is unique to an agrarian lifestyle? Maybe the recipes that make it into the cookbooks are more haute cuisine? My cousins in Paris ate a lot of processed foods. It was a bit of a status symbol. They had finally made it off the farm, and were fully embracing the urban lifestyle. Interesting question though. :)

Well, I'm no expert, but when I was in France, we ate lots of raw veggies... straight out of the garden. Yum! I have family there, on my Dad's side, and they are mostly farmers. Most of the food they eat comes directly off the farm... meats, cheeses, and lots of veggies. We ate a lot of raw salads with tomatoes, green beans, various peppers, and onions. We also ate a lot of fresh fruit out of the garden. Maybe this is unique to an agrarian lifestyle? Maybe the recipes that make it into the cookbooks are more haute cuisine? My cousins in Paris ate a lot of processed foods. It was a bit of a status symbol. They had finally made it off the farm, and were fully embracing the urban lifestyle. Interesting question though. :)

Hmm, that may be it.

Maybe there is an assumption that people don't need to be told how to prepare and eat raw veggies? There is no mystery.

True, that could be.

They eat lots of salad - mostly leaves.

Laura

See, I don't mind this at all, but it gets old. And I have three months where I am loathe to turn on the oven, and even to start the stovetop. If I cook it, it has to be done in the morning, and evening is for assembling.

I actually love living like this-it's very seasonal and I anticipate the seasonal changes, but there's a learning curve on to how to live. I'm trying to collect a summer menu recipe box for us.

See, I don't mind this at all, but it gets old. And I have three months where I am loathe to turn on the oven, and even to start the stovetop. If I cook it, it has to be done in the morning, and evening is for assembling.

I could assemble at night and then the amount of heat put out by the slow cooker was very small.

Laura

I grew up in a family heavily influenced by our french heritage. Fruits were eaten raw constantly. I think the difference is that it was either eaten in it's natural state or it was turned into something rather special by American standards. Tarts, jams, iced treats and sparkling juice concoctions.

Raw veggies are a bit different. The bitter salad was a staple, a digestive and palate cleanser. So it is at almost every meal, because it has a job. ;) The salads can be adapted to include other vegetables, but it needs be there. So once you have a salad, bagette sandwhich with leaves and tomatoes, roasted pimento spread and cheese, and a small quiche tart (with veggies inside), coffee and water, you have lunch!. :D

I grew up in a family heavily influenced by our french heritage. Fruits were eaten raw constantly. I think the difference is that it was either eaten in it's natural state or it was turned into something rather special by American standards. Tarts, jams, iced treats and sparkling juice concoctions.

Raw veggies are a bit different. The bitter salad was a staple, a digestive and palate cleanser. So it is at almost every meal, because it has a job. ;) The salads can be adapted to include other vegetables, but it needs be there. So once you have a salad, bagette sandwhich with leaves and tomatoes, roasted pimento spread and cheese, and a small quiche tart (with veggies inside), coffee and water, you have lunch!. :D

You're giving me a lot to think about. More of going to many little things instead of one big thing.

What's funny is that's how my Dh loves to eat. Give him a spread of many smaller dishes and he is in heaven.

So a small salad every night instead of one big one that's dinner-like we usually have. Hmmm. Do you still eat like this?

I understand! I like to eat summer food in summer. I have little desire for hot foods, although I do like to grill, A little sauteeing of bok choi, kale, chards etc is nice. I make a lot of spring soups; gray days have me chop chop choppping , and I recently used tender spring turnips which turned out well in the broth.

I do love to have various dressings on hands. One of my favs has olive oil, balsamic vinegar, crushed garlic, salt, pepper, curry powder, and a dash of honey. I like softer lettuces- red leaf, speckled butter etc, with some arugula (I discovered mirco argula, which is so wonderful). When arugula season is wanning, a bit of chicory or dandelion greens in with the lettuces is nice.

I also enjoy pine nuts in salads, and strawberries. Love strawberries with a little balsamic.

The peas in my garden are looking great, and I just pluck and eat. In just a few weeks the tomatos, peppers, squashes, and eggplants will be ready. I enjoy grilling veggies, although a plate of raw veggies with a tiny bit of salt and a sprinkling of a fruity olive oil is so nice. Wish our growing season was longer.

Edited by LibraryLover

Maybe there is an assumption that people don't need to be told how to prepare and eat raw veggies? There is no mystery.

Unlike here in the US, where Paula Deen feels the need to upload a recipe on how to cook canned peas. Oh, I think she adds a stick of butter.

The comments are hilarious, though... perhaps a raw veggie recipe in French would invite French mockery... :lol:

Unlike here in the US, where Paula Deen feels the need to upload a recipe on how to cook canned peas. Oh, I think she adds a stick of butter.

The comments are hilarious, though... perhaps a raw veggie recipe in French would invite French mockery... :lol:

The comments almost made me die laughing. All my kids had to run in to join the fun.

Are you saying the French don't use butter or cream sauce in veggies? :)

www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cream-of-Asparagus-Soup-Creme-Dasperges-104746

And there's more where that came from. I don't watch Paula, but I thought she did a lot of Cajun foods, which do have a French assist.

Or it could be I grew up eating too much food cooked by a Meme' (although not Cajun). There was a cream sauce for pretty much everything.

Edited by LibraryLover

Mouse- it's almost time for this!

www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Ratatouille

You do have to warm up the oven, but the tomatoes, egglant etc., are still producing in Sept. Maybe we will have a late frost. <fingers crossed>

I have several French recipes for various cassoulet, leek pie, seafood stews/soups with Aioli etc. I am thinking if you want to do veggies with a French twist, use fruity olive oil, lots of shallots, dry white wine, parsely, thyme etc. etc. Braised fennel might be nice, although again, that's cooked. Baked tomatoes with garlic, parsley and breadcrumbs is simple enough, and maybe you could do it on the grill with the lid down; I think one could even do Ratatouille on the grill, if it's in the right cooking vessel.

Edited by LibraryLover

In my search for summer dinners, I scoured some of my old French cookbook (I Know How to Cook) and I couldn't find many summer 'no turning on the oven' foods.

Then I got on the internet and tried googling up some--to no avail. And then I read on David Lebovitz's blog (living in Paris, of Alice Waters Chez Pannise fame) that apart from a grated carrot salad, they just don't eat their vegetables raw. And I'm all like, :001_huh: ?

Anyone know why? Their summer food differs from their winter fare, no?

This is kinda ot but I just finished reading his book, The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious-and Perplexing-City

and loved it. Have you read it? He has a bunch of recipes in there but I don't remember any for vegetables. In fact, I think he claims that Parisians don't eat them. :D

You're giving me a lot to think about. More of going to many little things instead of one big thing.

What's funny is that's how my Dh loves to eat. Give him a spread of many smaller dishes and he is in heaven.

So a small salad every night instead of one big one that's dinner-like we usually have. Hmmm. Do you still eat like this?

Actually, yes. A small side salad is a staple in our home. It is usually a spring mix with some wild greens or others I have growing in the garden. I never really thought about the fact that I make them eat a salad with every meal. :D (shhhh...they also do not know that not everyone has pansies, nasturtiums, rose petals, or marigolds on their salads.) ;)

I think it serves a similar purpose in French cuisine as Kimchi and other fermented veggies in Asian cultures. Just a thought!

Edited by Juniper

Very interesting discussion. I wish my garden had more vegs but I was running late on planting due to first trimester tiredness. I do have mixed greens growing well so we're having increasing number of salads these days. With it heating up here I don't know how long it will last though. Hopefully by then I'll be getting some other things. My garden is not very big but I am growing squash, cucumbers and tomatoes. Fresh cucs and tomatoes were always a favorite growing up. Mom always served the cucs in a vinegar/sugar mix, tomatoes were just fresh w/ salt. Squash were usually fried w/ potatoes and onions. Unfortunately dh is not a big veg eater, he likes asparagus, green beans and salad. Other than salad the only fresh veg he eats is carrots and that is fairly rare.

Yeah most of our veggies in our garden aren't ready until August.

I know. I so wish our season was just a bit longer, but then it wouldn't be New England, right? I am working towards having a bit of something most of the year. With a little cold frame, it's possible to beat some of winter, at least with a few greens. Spinach and lettuces are possible. Asparagus is ready in spring. Peas can go in the ground mid March. Sides such as cilantro, tarragon, parsely are also ready. My sage wintered over, although I can't see a sage salad. lol

Currently, I have several kinds of lettuces, peas, pea tendrils, arugula, kales, and chards that we are eating daily.

Garlic can be harvested soon as well.

Far from being ready are tomatoes, eggplant, squashes, green beans, peppers, corn.

I am planning to turn our sunniest raised bed into this for winter:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=cold+frame+designs&hl=en&sa=X&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADSA_enUS417US417&biw=1280&bih=897&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=2uzEOWKrPDlBRM:&imgrefurl=http://permacultureforrenters.com/the-p4r-blog/is-this-springreally/&docid=k0-wC4LBHzG_tM&imgurl=http://permacultureforrenters.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/cold-frame.jpg&w=430&h=287&ei=i2_fT9PQFYne9ASl6JTnCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=962&vpy=538&dur=94&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=158&ty=152&sig=118002640193691652634&page=2&tbnh=154&tbnw=201&start=23&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:23,i:215

Edited by LibraryLover

Actually, yes. A small side salad is a staple in our home. It is usually a spring mix with some wild greens or others I have growing in the garden. I never really thought about the fact that I make them eat a salad with every meal. :D (shhhh...they also do not know that not everyone has pansies, nasturtiums, rose petals, or marigolds on their salads.) ;)

I think it serves a similar purpose in French cuisine as Kimchi and other fermented veggies in Asian cultures. Just a thought!

I planted SO many nastys this year, and I did know about the edible flowers-my mom did that, too. :D And she'd add in herbs, too.

Don't forget nice beans and potatoes. Ignore the orange 'French" dressing, but here's a whole Google Image page:

http://www.google.com/search?q=french+salad&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADSA_enUS417US417&prmd=imvnse&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fGjfT8aAF4io8ASp4LWfCw&ved=0CFYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=897

That looks amazing. And I just ate. :D

We had plenty of salads in France but not as a whole meal. They actually had more variety than most American side salads. A very popular way to have salad back then (2003-2006) was to have different ingredients not mixed together and a popular ingredient in salads was corn.

We get our own corn here in late August (though the stuff from South Jersey is trucked up) and I don't think there's a year where we end the summer sick of corn. OR peaches. I have a peach farm up the street and we go through POUNDS.

I know. I so wish our season was just a bit longer, but then it wouldn't be New England, right? I am working towards having a bit of something most of the year. With a little cold frame, it's possible to beat some of winter, at least with a few greens. Spinach and lettuces are possible. Asparagus is ready in spring. Peas can go in the ground in mid March. Sides such as cilantro, tarragon, parsely are also ready. My sage wintered over, although I can't see a sage salad. lol

Currently, I have several kinds of lettuces, peas, pea tendrils, argula, kales, and chards that we are eating daily.

Garlic can be harvested soon as well.

Far from being ready are tomatoes, eggplant, squashes, green beans, peppers, corn.

I am planning to turn our sunniest raised bed to this for winter:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=cold+frame+designs&hl=en&sa=X&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADSA_enUS417US417&biw=1280&bih=897&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=2uzEOWKrPDlBRM:&imgrefurl=http://permacultureforrenters.com/the-p4r-blog/is-this-springreally/&docid=k0-wC4LBHzG_tM&imgurl=http://permacultureforrenters.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/cold-frame.jpg&w=430&h=287&ei=i2_fT9PQFYne9ASl6JTnCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=962&vpy=538&dur=94&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=158&ty=152&sig=118002640193691652634&page=2&tbnh=154&tbnw=201&start=23&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:23,i:215

Hmmm, looks like you're in zone 6? :D

Ohhh look at that! That's a great idea.

I keep saying every year I'm going to build a little green house, but I haven't yet. Maybe, this year, I looked at lots of plans last year though. I have the Four Season Harvest book by Coleman, which has a lot of good ideas on this subject.

When I lived in Nice, it seemed like there were more varieties of salads offered at restaurants than when I lived in Tours. They family I lived with in Nice also served raw veggies like radishes with butter and sliced tomatoes with mozzerella. I lived with friends in Tours, and we would buy fresh veggies at the market and eat many of them raw.

I do think of more cooked veggie recipes than raw veggie recipes when I think of France, though. That's funny.

Oh my gosh, I am dying laughing at the comments. :lol: Everyone else is asleep and I'm trying not to wake up the whole dang house.

Well I personally like recipes even for salads. I know how to cook, but I have a hard time coming up with stuff for whatever reason.

I do too... I just have a tough time with inspiration.

I recently read "Bringing Up Bebe" and she described pretty much all of their meals as beginning with a "cold vegetable starter", like carrot sticks with vinaigrette.

I'm just about to start this book!!

Maybe I'll write a book called

French Women Don't Sweat in the Kitchen in July

Because they bought the pate, cheese, and baguette already

I'd buy it. The book, and the baguette. :D

Endives. Oh my gosh. When I was in France, my host mom made endives every possible way... and I hate them. I finally worked up the guts to say, "I actually don't like endives... at all." and she said, "Oh! Ok, I'll remember" and kept right on serving me endives, practically daily, for four months. Ack!

We also ate a lot of green salads, which are literally JUST green salad leaves and vinaigrette (but I love that)

pureed veggie soups

lentil salads

crudités (just raw veggie sticks and mayo, usually)

lots of artichokes

Every meal involved a green salad, then usually some other veggie of some sort. And bread. I'll never forget she ordered in Chinese food, and we all mopped up our plates with French bread...

Endives. Oh my gosh. When I was in France, my host mom made endives every possible way... and I hate them. I finally worked up the guts to say, "I actually don't like endives... at all." and she said, "Oh! Ok, I'll remember" and kept right on serving me endives, practically daily, for four months. Ack!

She remembered, all right! I think she wanted to reform your palate!