Menu

K12 Human Odyssey 1 users, check in here!

I know there are a ton of us who are planning to use K12 HO volume 1 next year. My 7th grader will be doing it (with my middle using SOTW along with older sis). I thought it might be nice to start a thread where we can share reading lists, supplements, and just generally bounce ideas off one another. I had only planned to do Ancients until I set my sights on K12, so I don't have anything planned for Middle Ages yet.

I have a set of Map Trek maps I got for free a few months ago that I will use for Ancients. We'll see how that goes. We've never really done official mapping. I think Anna will probably make her timeline and timeline figures.

Here's a reading and supplement list (not necessarily in order, lol). This will change as needed and Anna will pick and choose what she wants to use, for the most part. We will NOT use all of these. This covers parts 1-3 (part 4 isn't totally planned yet):

Gilgamesh the Hero

Cultural Atlas of Ancient Civilizations

Cleopatra, Daughter of the Nile

The Golden Goblet

Pyramid

Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

Tales from India

Takes from China

Hittite Warrior

God King

Children's Homer

Growing Up in Ancient Greece

Famous Men of Greece

Growing Up in Ancient China

Plutarch's Lives for Boys and Girls

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

Aesop's Fables

Aeneid for Boys and Girls

Bronze Bow

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Augustus Caesar's World

Famous Men of Rome

City

Eagle of the Ninth

The Silver Branch

Lantern Bearers

Peril and Peace

Bulfinch's Mythology: Age of Fables

Anyone else want to share? :D

We will be doing the same - HO1 with SOTW 1 for the younger. Not much to add at this point. We do have the Map Trek Ancients we will be trying, and some of Mapping the World through Art will go with it as well.

There is a link that has been posted a few times correlating it with SOTW in case someone hasn't seen it:

http://www.scribd.com/filfilksq/d/60373372-SOTW-and-Human-Odyssey

We also have the student and teacher pages, and I am trying to decide how much we will use them.

I know there are a ton of us who are planning to use K12 HO volume 1 next year. My 7th grader will be doing it (with my middle using SOTW along with older sis). I thought it might be nice to start a thread where we can share reading lists, supplements, and just generally bounce ideas off one another. I had only planned to do Ancients until I set my sights on K12, so I don't have anything planned for Middle Ages yet.

I have a set of Map Trek maps I got for free a few months ago that I will use for Ancients. We'll see how that goes. We've never really done official mapping. I think Anna will probably make her timeline and timeline figures.

Here's a reading and supplement list (not necessarily in order, lol). This will change as needed and Anna will pick and choose what she wants to use, for the most part. We will NOT use all of these. This covers parts 1-3 (part 4 isn't totally planned yet):

Gilgamesh the Hero

Cultural Atlas of Ancient Civilizations

Cleopatra, Daughter of the Nile

The Golden Goblet

Pyramid

Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

Tales from India

Takes from China

Hittite Warrior

God King

Children's Homer

Growing Up in Ancient Greece

Famous Men of Greece

Growing Up in Ancient China

Plutarch's Lives for Boys and Girls

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

Aesop's Fables

Aeneid for Boys and Girls

Bronze Bow

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Augustus Caesar's World

Famous Men of Rome

City

Eagle of the Ninth

The Silver Branch

Lantern Bearers

Peril and Peace

Bulfinch's Mythology: Age of Fables

Anyone else want to share? :D

I ordered a used copy of K12 Human Odyssey Ancients to look through and to possibly add to my daughter's history for next year. If we use it, I will have a 7th and 5th grader as well as two youngers (2nd and PreK) sitting in as well. Thanks for the lists and ideas.

:bigear:

I'm planning on using it, but thinking about doing it as the on-line, self-paced course. TWTM just doesn't work overall for this child, so I'm a bit skittish of attempting it again and falling flat on our face. I at least am familiar with K12, so that I don't get bogged down in stuff. Our supplemental reading list for next year looks more like this:

Codes of Hammurabi; Landmark Herodotus; Plutarch, vol. 1; Gilgamesh, Aeneid; Julius Caesar; Early History of Rome; Last Days of Socrates; and 12 Caesars. The Ancient Greek World, The Ancient Roman World. He has already read a TON of historical fiction in this time-frame... we will probably just read some selections of the above, vs. the entire books. He is very much a math/science kid, and is doubling up on maths over the next couple of years (at his request)...so I'm "downgrading" his less favorite areas a bit from the intensity I had planned.

I'm going to be using Vol 2 not 1, so I hope you don't mind me butting in. I'm going to use SOTW 3 with dd8 and HO2 with dd12. I've been thinking about getting the Creek Edge history cards to use with both of them. I was wondering if anyone had used the history task cards before and if you thought I could use them in this way. This would take care of a lot of the writing/project parts for history without having to come up with too many ideas myself.

I am waiting on my copy to arrive. I will be using it loosely with the Oxford series The World in Ancient Times because my library has most of those volumes. As for other books, this is what I have now for ancient through middle ages:

• Streams of Civilization Volume 1
  • The Trojan War
  • The Golden Goblet
  • Mara, Daughter of the Nile
  • The Bronze Bow
  • Eagle of the Ninth
  • The Silver Branch
  • Hittite Warrior
  • Beyond the Desert Gate
  • The Ides of April
  • Catherine, Called Birdy
  • The Shakespeare Stealer
  • The Second Mrs. Giaconda
  • A Single Shard
  • Adam of the Road
  • Mary, Bloody Mary
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
  • The Children's Homer
  • Pyramid
  • City
  • Cathedral
  • Castle
  • Ship

These are all ones I have gotten used at sales. I will be using some others but I will get most of them from the library. There are a few more I need to buy because my library doesn't have everything I want to use. I also will buy Augustus Caesar's World and D'Aulaires' Greek Myths. I have the set of outline maps from the Scholastic Dollar Sale, but other than that I am not sure what I am going to use for maps. I do plan on splurging and get the Homeschool in the Woods Timeline Figures CD and the book to put them in, since DD said she prefers to have it in a book that she can keep.

I am excited to get started, but we probably won't until toward the end of August. We are just starting out, and I need to get my DD caught up on some other things before we start.

Edited by ~Anna~

My 12yo is using K12 Human Odyssey 1 together with the The World in Ancient Times series by Oxford University Press.

Luckymama put together this schedule and resource list./

Some chapters she outlines and for others we use the questions in the K12 student books.

We live out of town, so have at an hour in the car every day. I've found audiobooks for many of the WTM and other recommended books, so we listen to those in the car. (8yo either listens along or has other stories on an ipod).

If I were to do a full course using HO, here is what I would do:

Supplemental reading: period literature (usually adapted for this age), historical fiction, some nonfiction

Mapwork: Mapping the World with Art

Timeline: History Odyssey timeline

Writing: Every few weeks, a report on a historical topic of interest

But since my 10yo will be in school next year, I'll have to settle for afterschooling with just the text and some supplemental reading :crying:.

If I were to do a full course using HO, here is what I would do:

Supplemental reading: period literature (usually adapted for this age), historical fiction, some nonfiction

Mapwork: Mapping the World with Art

Timeline: History Odyssey timeline

Writing: Every few weeks, a report on a historical topic of interest

But since my 10yo will be in school next year, I'll have to settle for afterschooling with just the text and some supplemental reading :crying:.

:iagree: IF we do end up using it, this is probably the approach I would take!

I'm thinking about using Vol. 3 for my 6th grader next year. Not to hijack, but.....if anyone has one of those handy supplemental lists to go with vol. 3, let me know. :D

Just a warning, in case you haven't seen volume 3. It is written for high schoolers, and the tone and format are definitely for older kids.

I'm thinking about using Vol. 3 for my 6th grader next year.

My 6th grade boys used vol. 3 for supplemental history reading this year and it worked out well for them. They even went on to read more than the sections I assigned. I'm looking forward to using Vol 1 for ancients in the fall.

I just assigned chapters that matched the topics they were doing with the VP cards, so I can't help with a list of corresponding resources.

We will be using it as well...ds will be in 6th and dd will be in 4th. I am not sure yet how much of it she will follow...we also have SOTW 1 if it is too much for her. Youngest ds will be in Kindergarten, but I may have him lightly do SOTW 1 to follow along with us (at least listen to the audio and do some coloring pages.)

Not sure about extras yet because I haven't sat down to plan it out! :001_huh:

I will be doing that soon!

Great ideas!!!

Just a warning, in case you haven't seen volume 3. It is written for high schoolers, and the tone and format are definitely for older kids.

I thought it was intended for 8th grade. I will need to check into that. Thanks!

There is a link that has been posted a few times correlating it with SOTW in case someone hasn't seen it:

This is mine. I'm currently working on coordinating SOTW 2 to Human Odyssey. Someone asked me along the way why I didn't have all of HO 1 in my SOTW 1 spreadsheet; the topics in SOTW 1 only go partway through HO 1.. so next year ds2 will have some readings in HO 1 and some in HO 2. SOTW 2 ends right at Queen Eliz, and this corresponds to about halfway through HO 2. He'll be listening along with his younger sister to SOTW 2 and using HO as his supplemental reading.

I'm finding it a little harder to line it up this time, but I'll post what I come up with when I get it all together.

Kate

I am waiting on my copy to arrive.

I got mine today! I found alot of supplementary books that my library carries, and am in the process of making a large booklist. I am trying to arrange them in order so I know what to read when. I can post it when I'm done if anyone's interested.

This is mine. I'm currently working on coordinating SOTW 2 to Human Odyssey. Someone asked me along the way why I didn't have all of HO 1 in my SOTW 1 spreadsheet; the topics in SOTW 1 only go partway through HO 1.. so next year ds2 will have some readings in HO 1 and some in HO 2. SOTW 2 ends right at Queen Eliz, and this corresponds to about halfway through HO 2. He'll be listening along with his younger sister to SOTW 2 and using HO as his supplemental reading.

I'm finding it a little harder to line it up this time, but I'll post what I come up with when I get it all together.

Kate

Thanks, your list is so helpful, a lot of work!

My DD will be using it this year (6th grade). I haven't picked all of the literature that we'll be using yet to go along with it, so I'm going to check out what others have posted so far.

We're also using Mapping the World by Art (McHenry), and I need to figure out what to do about a timeline as she really wants one.

My DD will be using it this year (6th grade). I haven't picked all of the literature that we'll be using yet to go along with it, so I'm going to check out what others have posted so far.

We're also using Mapping the World by Art (McHenry), and I need to figure out what to do about a timeline as she really wants one.

The Timeline Project, free from Currclick

I need to figure out what to do about a timeline as she really wants one

History Odyssey has one for around $29 that includes all 4 years of the history cycle and stickers, but still leaves plenty of room for writing. Each timeline (ancients, middle ages, early modern and modern) is 5 feet long and can be put on the wall or hole punched to put in a binder. They are really sturdy and quite lovely. If you look at the link I listed, you can hover your mouse over the timelines to zoom in.

FWIW, we're using History Odyssey Ancients Level 2 with Human Odyssey.

History Odyssey has one for around $29 that includes all 4 years of the history cycle and stickers, but still leaves plenty of room for writing. Each timeline (ancients, middle ages, early modern and modern) is 5 feet long and can be put on the wall or hole punched to put in a binder. They are really sturdy and quite lovely. If you look at the link I listed, you can hover your mouse over the timelines to zoom in.

FWIW, we're using History Odyssey Ancients Level 2 with Human Odyssey.

I'll check this one out, as well as the one recommended by Momto2Cs (if I'm remembering the name correctly. Thanks to you both!

My 6th grader will be using Human Odyssey vol 1 and SOTW vol 1. He already went through SOTW 1 several years ago, but he likes the SOTW books, and I think it will help. He generally doesn't like historical fiction, so we're mostly going to supplement with non-fiction.

I used K12 HO1 along with Ancients HO last year with my son in Gr5. My son (and I) enjoyed the K12 text but found the Ancients jumped around a bit (using Kingfisher) making things a little confusing. So now I am searching for an alternative way to use K12HO for next year. We have completed up to the Greeks and would be continuing from there.

I think I have things narrowed down to SOTW and/or Critical Thinking Company History Detective. Have any of you used both of these resources yet?

I used K12 HO1 along with Ancients HO last year with my son in Gr5. My son (and I) enjoyed the K12 text but found the Ancients jumped around a bit (using Kingfisher) making things a little confusing. So now I am searching for an alternative way to use K12HO for next year. We have completed up to the Greeks and would be continuing from there.

I think I have things narrowed down to SOTW and/or Critical Thinking Company History Detective. Have any of you used both of these resources yet?

I got my History Detective in the mail this week. It looks like it will be a good complement to either SOTW or Human Odyssey. I hope to use it once a week, but we may skip lessons depending on how much we get around to.

I super-sparkly-puffy-heart* y'all! I want to use HO when we restart our cycle next year for my logic kid and will be following this thread with great excitement to see how others pair HO with SOTW.

(Yes, I am already thinking about 2013-2014 year. Yes, it is a sickness. :tongue_smilie: )

*DD tells me that this is the proper way to tell people how great something is. :001_huh:

I've considered doing the Human Odyssey 1 w/Famous Men of Ancient Greece and Rome by Greenleaf or Memoria Press. Has anyone done this or contemplating using these also? Do you think it would be too much?

I have the Famous Men books. I like them very much and plan to implement them...somehow. LOL! I haven't figured it all out yet.

I'm interested! I'd love to see your booklist when it's done :001_smile:

Still working on it! I think I have most of the ancients and middle ages done, but I still need to put them in order. I will post as soon as I get something useful :001_smile:

I have some quiet time and am working on this today, so I thought I'd post. I decided to switch SOTW around to match HO, and I love it! The first time through SOTW we went in order, and it seemed like there was never time to do the readings and projects about a specific place, because there were 42 sets of reading lists and project options. This way there are just a few. So we can do some outside reading about Sumer, a project, and we have several weeks to do that and not feel rushed. Then Egypt, then the East, Greece, Rome. Although I love the order SOTW is in, I think the organization this time around will save my sanity:lol:

I plan to correlate some map work from Map Trek, some work from the teacher and student books for HO, web sites, timelines, biographies, projects. I am also using some of the free schedules and lit sugestions from Classical House of Learning, worth a look if you havent seen them, they have grammar and logic stage literature schedules correlated with SOTW. I want to make it more fun centered and less academic intensive, just because for us we are doing some pretty heavy academics in other subjects and I don't want to overwhelm them.

If I come up with something besides a huge convoluted mess, I'll let you know:tongue_smilie:

Some chapters she outlines and for others we use the questions in the K12 student books.

We live out of town, so have at an hour in the car every day. I've found audiobooks for many of the WTM and other recommended books, so we listen to those in the car. (

Can you give a link for the student books? Amazon has them by the name of Student Guide Intermediate, Semester 1 and 2. And no description.

Where did you get your student guide?

Where did you find the audio books, too.??

TIA

Can you give a link for the student books? Amazon has them by the name of Student Guide Intermediate, Semester 1 and 2. And no description.

Where did you get your student guide?

Where did you find the audio books, too.??

TIA

I bought ours 2nd hand off Amazon. K12 Intermediate World History A: Student pages goes with Human Odyssey volume 1. B is for Volume 2.

It has a reading guide for every section, sometimes tables to fill out, some essay type questions, etc. Easy to pull from if you don't have a lot of prep time or don't want to do an outline for a particular chapter.

Just to be clear, the audiobooks we listen to aren't of the "Human Odyssey", just general period literature. Our main sources for audiobooks are downloads from librivox.com and audible.com and cd purchases from ebay.co.uk and local online bookstores.

Edited by Hannah

I bought ours 2nd hand off Amazon. K12 Intermediate World History A: Student pages goes with Human Odyssey volume 1. B is for Volume 2.

It has a reading guide for every section, sometimes tables to fill out, some essay type questions, etc. Easy to pull from if you don't have a lot of prep time or don't want to do an outline for a particular chapter.

Just to be clear, the audiobooks we listen to aren't of the "Human Odyssey", just general period literature. Our main sources for audiobooks are downloads from librivox.com and audible.com and cd purchases from ebay.co.uk and local online bookstores.

Thanks. I looked on the K12 site and this wasn't clear to me.

Any favorite audiobooks?? Kiddo loves to tinker in the tool room and listen to books on tape.

Any favorite audiobooks??

My girl's favourite for Greek myths is Atticus the Storyteller. There are two volumes and they have listened to them over and over. The reader, Simon Russel Beale, is English.

They also enjoyed Mary Pope Osborne's Tales from the Odyssey performed by James Simmons.

The Heroes Series by Geraldine McCaughrean are good too.

Other families really like Jim Weiss, but my kids are not fans.

My 12yo says to mention the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. She says you need to know the Greek myths to really enjoy the series, so it qualifies as educational ;-). Listening to The Lightning Thief lead to her reading all his other books.

And my 8yo chimed in that she enjoys the Roman Mysteries series by Caroline Lawrence.

Add me!

I've been debating all summer as to what to do for history this next year...we're doing Ancients this next year... I had cobbled together my own thing, but now that I'm in the middle of a high risk pregnancy, I need something that is not as time intensive for me in weekly prep.

Amazon used has some nice prices right now....I was able to pick up the text and student pages for $50 this afternoon. When I priced it out a few months ago, it was more like $75ish....

I think I'm going to have ds join in for some of the arts & crafts we'll be doing from the SOTW AG with my younger two and I'm just going to let him loose on my shelf of good books and on my stack of Calliope magazines from the Ancients period....

Is the mapwork in the student pages adequate or should I dig out my stack of blackline maps?

I guess this is where I chime in and say that I, too, am using HO 1 with sotw with dd13 and ds7, along with Joy Hakim's The Story of Science Aristotle Leads the Way...I am also neck deep into lining up the books and coordinating historical fiction. I am also using timeline figures, art projects, history pockets, and outline maps. I am waaaaaay too excited about this year.:D

Here is my list of audiobooks for Ancients for both grammar and logic stages (we haven't listened to all of them yet):

Egyptian Gods and Pharoahs by Robert Swindells

Red Land, Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt by Barbara Mertz

Librivox Egyptian Tales, translated from the Papyri by W. M. Flinders Petrie

Tales of Ancient Egypt by Charles Mosley

Cleopatra, daughter of the Nile by Kristiana Gregory

Atticus the Storyteller's 100 Greek Myths by Lucy Goats and volume 2

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths

Tales of the Greek Heroes by Roger Lancelyn Green

Greek Myths by Geraldine McCaughrean

Librivox The Heroes, or Greek Fairy Tales for my Children by Charles Kingsley

Librivox Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome by EM Berens

Librivox Famous Men of Greece by John Haarem

Librivox Old Greek Stories by James Baldwin

The Glory of Ancient Greece by Hugh Griffith. He also has Great Rules of Ancient Rome.

Storynory Greek Myths for Children

Tales From the Odyssey by Mary Pope Osborne

The Tale of Troy by Roger Lancelyn Green

Heroes Series by Geraldine McCaughrean and here

The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of The Odyssey by Rosemary Sutcliff

Black Ships Before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff

The Children's Homer by Padraic Colum

Librivox Famous men of Rome by Haaren

Roman Myths by Geraldine McCaughrean

The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles Padraic Colum

Eagle of the Ninth, Silver Branch, Lantern Bearers, Outcast etc by Rosemary Sutcliff.

The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

D Aulaire's Book of Norse Myths

And the "fun" books (according to my kids)...

Rick Riordan audiobooks

Caroline Lawrence Roman Mysteries series

RL LaFevers Theodosia Series

Julia Jarman The Time Traveling Cat series

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Some of the Librivox titles are also available on Itunes

Edited by Hannah
spacing

And the Middle Ages Audiobook list:

Beowulf Dragon Slayer Rosemary Sutcliff

Librivox The Fairie Queen Book 1 by Edmund Spencer

Selections from the Fairie Queen by Edmund Spencer

Storynory Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Simon Armitage and others on Audible The Canterbury Tales abridged by Naxos. There are three volumes.

Saint George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges (I know it exists as an audio, but its only available to the US, so I can't search and link it).

Librivox has a few King Arthur stories. As has Audible.

The Sword in the Stone by TH White

There are a few different recording's of Pyles Adventures of Robin Hood on both Audible and Librivox.

Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare by Nesbitt. This is also available on Librivox

Stories from Shakespeare by Geraldine McCaughrean

The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli

I, Juan de Pareja by Elizabeth Borton de Trevino

Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Janet Gray

Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric P Kelly

Call it Courage by Perry

Instead of the Oxford The World in Ancient Times series, I have decided to supplement with Streams of Civilization Volume 1. I got it in like new condition for 25 cents (so I couldn't pass it up) and I have been reading some of it and I like it so far. The others books I am using or thinking of using are on my (new!) blog. I also tried to put Human Odyssey in Chronological Order since it seemed to skip around a little bit to me. Hope it helps someone!

Booklist for K12 Human Odyssey Volume 1

K12 Human Odyssey Volume 1 in Chronological Order