Menu

List of Greatest female characters in young adult novels

Guest robertpiazza

Lyra Belacqua from The Golden Compass....:)

Philip Pullman's award-winning The Golden Compass is a masterwork of storytelling and suspense, critically acclaimed and hailed as a modern fantasy classic.!!!!

Edited by robertpiazza

My teen girls seconded Harry from the Blue Sword, Anne from Green Gabels, and Elinore Comstock.

They added:

Kit from The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Jane Eyre

Amy Dorrit from Little Dorrit

Elizabeth Bennett

Linda from Beastly

Max from Maximum Ride

Jean Valjean- even though he's a man.

Rebecca from Ivanhoe

River Tam, okay she's from the movie Serenity, but my girl's listed her:tongue_smilie:

Molly from Wives and Daughters

I LOVE A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, it's one of my favorite books of all time. I've read it over and over since I was about 12. But reading it now as an adult, I can see that there's some very adult content in this book and I thought it was an adult book. It's classified as young adult? Just curious.

Many of my choices have been listed already but I will add Dicey from Cynthia Voigt's Homecoming and Dicey's Song.

Loved those books and that character!

The Chalet School books are/were great and filled with many girl characters but difficult to get copies of those in the States.

As a teenager I loved Jane Eyre!

I've always been fond of Valancy from "The Blue Castle" by L.M. Montgomery.

The story deals with more grown-up ideas than the Anne books, but I came from a stifling family situation (sort of like Valancy's) and I loved how she got over her fear of what people thought and just went out and did the things that she thought would bring her happiness.

I loved Dicey in Homecoming/Dicey's Song, Elnora in Girl of the Limberlost, and Anne of Green Gables. I also really, really remember Jean Fritz in her autobiography Homesick: My Own Story. I know it's not fiction, but it's a very engaging story and she is a character who stuck with me.

My sister was a big fan of the Shoes books by Noel Streatfeild. I think Ballet Shoes was her favorite.

I've never heard of the Chalet School books, but I found them on Book Depository.

Jane Eyre is probably my all-time favorite character from any novel.

I'm also a big fan of Anne (of Green Gables).

In terms of more contemporary stuff, I have to mention Hermione (from the Harry Potter series). I always feel a close kinship with the smart girl with unruly hair.

Although they aren't all marketed to "young adults," I started reading Charles de Lint's novels when I was young, and I adore Jilly Cooper.