Menu

Fathers Day gripe, aka near break-down in Hallmark.

I went to Hallmark today. I don't understand why they don't have more cards that are just plain and simple "Happy Father's Day." I found two. I had to search through 4 sections of "you're the greatest Dad, you mean so much to me, you gave me a great childhood, thanks for being there for me" and 2 sections of goofy humor to find those two plain ones. Do 99.9% of the card-buying demographic all have fabulous fathers? There must be a lot more amazing dads out there than I realized. I am so jealous!

I nearly had to leave but I managed to get through it, and got the card in the mail. Yay me. <And I made sure my kids have a dad worth sending a nice emotional card to, even bigger yay me.>

/vent.

I went to Hallmark today. I don't understand why they don't have more cards that are just plain and simple "Happy Father's Day." I found two. I had to search through 4 sections of "you're the greatest Dad, you mean so much to me, you gave me a great childhood, thanks for being there for me" and 2 sections of goofy humor to find those two plain ones. Do 99.9% of the card-buying demographic all have fabulous fathers? There must be a lot more amazing dads out there than I realized. I am so jealous!

I nearly had to leave but I managed to get through it, and got the card in the mail. Yay me. <And I made sure my kids have a dad worth sending a nice emotional card to, even bigger yay me.>

/vent.

I hear you. I don't even send a card anymore - I usually order something online and then have it delivered.

Yes, to be honest, I did have one of those Dads who would have the heartiest laugh over the silliness of those Father's Day cards. Buying Father's Day cards for me was always the salve I had after trying to buy Mother's Day cards.

My Mom wasn't a bad Mom, we simply didn't connect. So all those heartfelt serious cards of Mother's Day? They made me want to barf. It didn't reflect our relationship at all.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

/vent.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I go through the same thing every Mother's Day. I have to read so many cards before I can find one that is suitable enough to send to MY mother.

My dad abandoned us when I was an infant and was never seen again so fortunately I don't have to send him any cards.

Father's Day in our house celebrates my husband, but I have the kids make a homemade card for him. :)

My dad abandoned us when I was an infant and was never seen again so fortunately I don't have to send him any cards.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm sorry to hear that your dad was such a jerk, but rest assured that if you ever decide to send him a card, Hallmark probably makes one for that. :glare:

My big gripe with Hallmark (and the other card companies, too,) is that we could never find a Mother's Day card for my ds to give to my mom, because ds called her Nanna, and all of the cards always said Grandma. (My MIL used the Grandma title, so she was easy to buy cards for!)

yeah, I go through that every Mother's day. I finally started buying pretty cards that are blank inside and writing my own message.

My mother is probably NPD - she ignored us all my life. My stepmother was mean to me. I struggle with my feelings for them, my love for them. My stepmother did go on to be really great to me once I had kids, so mostly I appreciate her, but the memories are still there.

I used to waste time going through all the cards trying to find one that had good, general good will wishes and not false/mushy for things that are not really there. I finally gave up and got blank ones.

hugs.

I went to Target last week and found several options for the simple "Happy Father's Day" option.

Yesterday I went to Hallmark and had to fight tears as I looked at the cards. I felt that they were all especially sappy and heart-tugging. Someone that worked there asked if I needed any help and I couldn't even answer her because I was so choked up.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm sorry to hear that your dad was such a jerk, but rest assured that if you ever decide to send him a card, Hallmark probably makes one for that. :glare:

Thanks for the hugs, but I wasn't posting that for sympathy, but rather to the OP as a way of saying "I hear ya. Mine too!" I do love hugs though. :)

My big gripe with Hallmark (and the other card companies, too,) is that we could never find a Mother's Day card for my ds to give to my mom, because ds called her Nanna, and all of the cards always said Grandma. (My MIL used the Grandma title, so she was easy to buy cards for!)

Yeah! You would think with the bazillions of cards that they sell they could come up with some that are more out of the box. :glare:

I went to Target last week and found several options for the simple "Happy Father's Day" option.

Good to know! I love my mom, but she wasn't the kind of mom that is portrayed in the Hallmark cards so I always struggle to find one that rings true to how she really is and was. I'm glad for some other options. :)

Yesterday I went to Hallmark and had to fight tears as I looked at the cards. I felt that they were all especially sappy and heart-tugging. Someone that worked there asked if I needed any help and I couldn't even answer her because I was so choked up.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I find most of those cards to be SO distasteful - why does a mom have to be "the greatest mom in the world" - "perfect in every way" - etc. to be loved???"

Most of those cards are just dripping in overdone schmaltz - makes me want a shower after just reading them!!!

Anne

My dad prefers humor - we (he, self and my kid sister) are continually trying to one-up each other in terms of tacky humor. My card for this year is an old fashioned photo of a kid on a donkey and the caption "See, Dad, I got off my ass and got you a card!".

He gets real gifts, though (war history from Amazon, See's candy).

They definitely need more cards that just include a simple greeting and people can write in more if they wish.

I could not more strongly agree with you, and also with birthday cards. Finding a regular birthday card for an adult seems well-nigh impossible. They are either "You are so old, I can't believe you aren't dead, HA HA", or "Here's a picture of some half naked guy, you'll like that".

I have given up on store-bought cards.

They are too expensive- I could nearly double the gift value rather than buy a $4.99 card! :D

For Christmas, EVERYONE, even grannies, gets the same photo car.

Mother's day the moms/grannies get brunch.

father's day I always sent my step-father a plain "Happy Father's Day" card- he married my mom later in life- he was a cool guy, but not a daddy to me.

So my advice is a blank card with a handwritten message, or a photo card.

I don't buy cards---for anything. They'll just throw it away. I send photo cards for Xmas because I feel like people are less likely to throw away a picture of someone---but I could be wrong.

Usually just getting together for a casual lunch or dinner at my in-laws house is enough. Hang out, maybe give a small gift if anyone felt the urge. Give a hug, say bye, call it done.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your comments and understanding, I appreciate it. I think in the future, I will follow the advice to get some masculine note cards and just write happy fathers day. That will save both emotional energy and money!

My dad prefers humor - we (he, self and my kid sister) are continually trying to one-up each other in terms of tacky humor. My card for this year is an old fashioned photo of a kid on a donkey and the caption "See, Dad, I got off my ass and got you a card!".

He gets real gifts, though (war history from Amazon, See's candy).

I am not trying to be snarky, but I can't help but feel you have missed the point of my post entirely. Glad you have a fun dad though.