Menu

What should we call non-homeschooled kids?

What do we call kids who go to a school somewhere else?  

1. 1. What do we call kids who go to a school somewhere else?

• brick and mortar schooled
    • out schooled
    • non-homeschooled
    • public or private schooled
    • not very bright
    • wards of the state
    • the competition

Not to offend anyone, but we refer to them as prisoners of the state.

I like this one best. The high schools here have chain link fencing topped with barbed-wire! My kids thought it WAS a prison when they were little.

As a mom of two dd's who went to ps last year, I find the entire premise of this thread offensive. When my kids were homeschooled, I encouraged them to be respectful of people who made different choices than we did.

Honestly, this arrogance toward "others" on the part of homeschoolers seems to be much worse than what we've seen in the public school community. Sigh........

As a mom of two dd's who went to ps last year, I find the entire premise of this thread offensive. When my kids were homeschooled, I encouraged them to be respectful of people who made different choices than we did.

Honestly, this arrogance toward "others" on the part of homeschoolers seems to be much worse than what we've seen in the public school community. Sigh........

Wait, what?

My kids go to traditional schools. Dragons wanted to know how other people refer to non-homeschooled students. Some of us told her what our term was, some of us got silly as we are wont to do on this board.

How is the premise of the thread offensive? And how can having a term to use for non-homeschoolers that is a little less unwieldy than "non-homeschooler" be disrespectful? The OP has a kid who attends a public school. (I'm assuming she likes this kid.) I truly don't understand how you are arriving at this conclusion.

Wait, what?

My kids go to traditional schools. Dragons wanted to know how other people refer to non-homeschooled students. Some of us told her what our term was, some of us got silly as we are wont to do on this board.

How is the premise of the thread offensive? And how can having a term to use for non-homeschoolers that is a little less unwieldy than "non-homeschooler" be disrespectful? The OP has a kid who attends a public school. (I'm assuming she likes this kid.) I truly don't understand how you are arriving at this conclusion.

Pam, I'd hate to cross "flaming swords of moderation" with you, and I've no doubt that your intention and that of the OP is for this to be just a bit of "light-hearted humor". I understand this.

That said, I doubt anyone home-schooling their children would take kindly to finding their children described in terms similar to those included in the poll (or some of the comments added by subsequent posters). Many of the attributions have been quite insulting IMO.

I try to be a "good-humored" fellow, and not one who's "overly-sensitive", but I see how some of the comments here could be hurtful to others. So the thread, and many of the comments made don't pass this man's "Golden Rule" test.

And my "gut-feeling" that this kind of talk is amiss is reinforced when board members express that their feelings have been hurt.

I'm pretty new to the forums, and so perhaps I've not "earned the right" to say it, but I think "we" could do better.

Bill (who feels "school-children" serves quite nicely)

We call them "friends" that go to ps/private school. They'll all be together whether it's outside playing, sports fields, college, or the work force. Why be divisive? Hope my children appreciate their current education, but value friendships outside their current educational realm.

We tend to just refer to the specific school the kids go to, because we usually know (or can guess) where they go. So we'd say, "The kids that go to Maple Street Elementary.." etc. We've got all kinds of schools in our area--public, private, Christian private, charter, magnet, homeschool, montessori, and more.

We just say, "they GO to school". My dd7 is so cute, she will proudly tell anyone, "I'm homeschooled, my mom teaches me." I love when it comes from her because there is less fuss, they usually ask her if she likes it and she responds, "I love it, we learn about a lot of different things and I get to spend a lot of time with my mom." Isn't that a wonderful answer? I'm always glad when she is approached with the question instead of me, lately I've been getting the, "what's wrong with our excellent school system?" Lol.

Pam, I'd hate to cross "flaming swords of moderation" with you, and I've no doubt that your intention and that of the OP is for this to be just a bit of "light-hearted humor". I understand this.

That said, I doubt anyone home-schooling their children would take kindly to finding their children described in terms similar to those included in the poll (or some of the comments added by subsequent posters). Many of the attributions have been quite insulting IMO.

I try to be a "good-humored" fellow, and not one who's "overly-sensitive", but I see how some of the comments here could be hurtful to others. So the thread, and many of the comments made don't pass this man's "Golden Rule" test.

And my "gut-feeling" that this kind of talk is amiss is reinforced when board members express that their feelings have been hurt.

I'm pretty new to the forums, and so perhaps I've not "earned the right" to say it, but I think "we" could do better.

Bill (who feels "school-children" serves quite nicely)

(The joke is that I actually don't have a sword, and I'm soooo not moderate!)

I was actually just referring to the *premise* of the thread. But you are right about the fact that if some people feel hurt, I should not minimize that.

Pam

Government schooled, private schooled, homeschooled - or I prefer "Independently schooled."

This does come up a lot - when we are out and about with family members who think and say negative things about homeschoolers being "weirdoes" or "unsocialized" (yes Spy Car, many of us find our children described in similar insulting terms to those lighthearted choices on the poll). I like to point out to my anti-homeschool sister and parents all the homeschooled friends we see out there at (church, the library, walking down the street, at the farmer's market, at soccer practice, etc.).

Interestingly, most of my students in the online public charter school and their parents refer to themselves as "homeschooled." Legally they are not homeschooled, they are public school students... but it is easier for most outsiders to understand the shorthand than to try to explain the whole kit and caboodle.

(and it continues to amuse me that of all places, THIS site continues to tell me that the word "homeschooled" is not recognized in its dictionaries!) We have a few miles to go still.

I heard a speaker at a convention say that her family used the term, "gone-schoolers," so that's what we call them now, too, as in "they are gone from home for school."

As a funny aside, my DD once yelled out of the van window to a bunch of kids at recess, "Hello, school-mates! I like your cage!" The playground was fenced, she was really young, and she just "said what she saw," with no understanding whatsoever of why we don't want to imply that schoolchildren are in a cage. Subtlety and semantics will not be this child's strengths.:)

(The joke is that I actually don't have a sword, and I'm soooo not moderate!)

I was actually just referring to the *premise* of the thread. But you are right about the fact that if some people feel hurt, I should not minimize that.

Pam

I'm soooo disappointed you don't actually have a flaming sword :D

And did I mention that I really like your good spirit?!!! :001_smile:

Bill

Pam "SFSOM" in TN:

I disagree with the premise of the thread because I don't think we need to concern ourselves with labeling other people's children, especially in "humorously" derisive terms.

This is why I keep posting -- the OP isn't looking for a label, even though she (to the consternation of some) included what she thought were options so ridiculously over-the-top that no one would take them seriously on the poll. Some did choose them as options, and I guess some people think or thought those were seriously meant.

She's looking for a word to use when referring, kindly and with all due honor, to people who don't school their kids at home. Like people might want a shorthand term for, I dunno, stay-at-home parents. Housewives/husbands? Full-time parents? Domestic engineers? We had a chat awhile back about how to spell "homeschooler." Those who used the term "home schooler" or hypenated it to "home-schooler" were not being derisive. They were just telling how they spelled it.

My kids, btw, were or are boarding school students or, at times, public school students. So my own contributions were intended as humorous but, unless I've got a secret self-hate thing going that I don't know about, in no way derisive. I love and honor my kids, whichever schooling situation they find themselves utilizing.

I'm so sorry that you felt that this thread or some of its more irreverent participants (meaning *me*) made you feel uncomfortable. And I promise this is my last post unless someone asks me something. And I imagine that's pretty unlikely! :001_smile:

Pam, I understood the op's premise because I read her actual post... it explains it all. I did wince at the last few options, but I didn't think any of the more playful responses were intentionally derogatory. Not at all. No consternation here... just a little "ouching" at a few of the suggestions :).

The only question I still have, which you probably can't answer :), is who on earth selected "the competition" and were they serious? LOL