Menu

Do any of your kids like to give massages?

I find it highly unusual that dd9 loves to give massages. She is SO GOOD at it!!! I tell her she has magic hands.

I believe this is a way for her to have intimacy (touch) without it being scary. I am happy to allow this!!!! She is FANTASTIC at foot massages! I have foot pain issues so I am ever so grateful!!! She lotions them up and does the most fantastic job! She will also do dd12's feet and back. I find it so unusual for a kid to enjoy this. Does anyone else's kids?

I told her I can easily see her becoming a massage therapist. At only 9, she loves to do this, and she is SO good at it!!! :thumbup:

Funny I do have one child who does give fantastic massages . . .he's our boy with attachment issues. I think you're on to something when you say this is a way for them to experience some closeness.

I really believe this. She asks me DAILY if I want a foot massage, and she has spent an hour doing it before.

Unfortunately, she doesn't like massages in return. I don't believe that it has anything to do with not liking touch, I think it is a sensory issue.

She also likes to tickle my back and legs but also hates to be tickled.

She loves a head massage and for me to comb/style her hair so that's what I do for her.

I am surprised to hear other kids like to do this. I guess it's not so unusual. Still, she is gifted and I truly can see her making a living out of it, or at a minimum making some extra money.

Both my children will but only to Daddy. Because as they have said his back hurts all the time and we want to go fishing. Lol so I do not get them but when my husband is home he does.

:lol::lol::lol: maybe your back can be too sore to _________________ (fill in the blank). ;)

I find it highly unusual that dd9 loves to give massages. She is SO GOOD at it!!! I tell her she has magic hands.

I believe this is a way for her to have intimacy (touch) without it being scary. I am happy to allow this!!!! She is FANTASTIC at foot massages! I have foot pain issues so I am ever so grateful!!! She lotions them up and does the most fantastic job! She will also do dd12's feet and back. I find it so unusual for a kid to enjoy this. Does anyone else's kids?

I told her I can easily see her becoming a massage therapist. At only 9, she loves to do this, and she is SO good at it!!! :thumbup:

DS-13 (India) is really good at it, too, though it's more of a "neck rub" than a massage. We keep telling him that massage therapy school would be a great idea for him. :)

My dad used to have me punch his back as hard as I could when I was 4 because I couldn't hit hard enough to hurt him and it became a nice massage.:lol:

I've loved giving my parents back/neck/foot massages since I was a kid. I used to give shoulder massages to my teachers at school, too. Talk about a teacher's pet, huh :lol:. (I went to a tiny school w/4 teachers who were basically my extra moms.)

When I was in college I would give shoulder massages to my doormmates. One girl told me that massage was my "spiritual gift" and word spread from there. Girls in my dorm who were just acquaintances would sometimes come ask me for a shoulder massage!

Sadly no. :sad:

I would never ask him to do it either. My mom made us give her foot massages and I hated it! I can understand why - she was a single mom working as a waitress, and her feet killed her at the end of a (often double) shift. As a kid though, I didn't get it. I only knew it as a hated chore.

Sadly no. :sad:

I would never ask him to do it either. My mom made us give her foot massages and I hated it! I can understand why - she was a single mom working as a waitress, and her feet killed her at the end of a (often double) shift. As a kid though, I didn't get it. I only knew it as a hated chore.

That is entirely different! Dd likes to give massages and tickles. She asks to do this almost daily, sometimes several times per day! I never asked her. I don't even remember how this got started.

I, personally, could give no foot massages. Feet gross me out. Blech.

I've never been a fan of massages personally, but that sounds great for you! My dd7 LOVES it when I play with her hair, or if we're just lounging around and I lightly scratch her back. She's even started playing beautician to her friends and giving them head massages like mommy and also learning to play with their hair and give them some of her favorite hair styles.

I had a friend who was one of five sisters. Every day, when her dad came home from work he would ask "Who was the best girl today?" and the girls would vie for the right to claim being 'the best'. It might be a good grade on a test or being especially helpful to their mother etc. He would decide which one was The Best. Then, that girl was rewarded with the honour of rubbing his back. :001_huh:

She said it took until they were almost out of high school before they figured out that maybe it wasn't so much of an honour. :lol:

That is entirely different! Dd likes to give massages and tickles. She asks to do this almost daily, sometimes several times per day! I never asked her. I don't even remember how this got started.

Oh, I agree. If mine wanted to give me foot massages, I would never turn one down. :D I was just saying why I would ask him to, since it isn't something he offers.

I used to be a licensed massage therapist.

If your kids are giving massages frequently that last up to an hour, please be sure to teach them a bit about body mechanics so that they won't damage their little wrists and thumb joints or strain their necks and backs. For example, be sure to not have the child bent over in an uncomfortable position for long periods, which can put strain on their neck, shoulders, and back. (So for foot massages, for example, have them sit on the floor with their back comfortably straight and then use cushions or a small stool to elevate the foot to a comfortable working level.)

If they use much pressure with their massages, avoid putting pressure on a bent joint. If they are going to use pressure, make sure their wrists and fingers are in as straight allignment as possible. Then the pressure can come from gravity as they lean slightly forward, rather than having to be "manufactured" by their muscles. Also, it is better to use a stronger surface to provide pressure, such as the point on the palm of the hand opposite the thumb and just above the wrist, rather than to use the tip of the thumb or finger - the palm can take the strain much better than the lonely little finger can.

Another consideration...make sure that they understand that some people don't like to be touched. It's nothing personal, doesn't mean that the person is bad, wrong, or mean, or that the massager has done anything wrong. Teach them to recognize any avoidance signals that other people might give and to respect them. (Keep in mind that 1 out of every 3 women and 1 out of every 6 men have been physically abused and may be extremely uncomfortable with being touched.)

If they give massages outside of immediate family, be sure that they understand personal boundaries. Due to the fact that American society has little in the way of nonsexual touch past preschool age, it is not unheard of for people to allow their emotions to become confused when receiving touch from others. Be extra sure that your kids don't accidentally trigger something in another person that they don't recognize or know how to control. This can happen with other children as well as adults.

Word of warning, I have seen several teens just love to give backrubs to members of the opposite sex. IMO, that is usually fondling by another name. The best test I know of to check for this is to ask if they would be as enthusiastic about giving the same massage to their grandparents. If not, you can bet there is some sexual attraction/gratification involved.:glare:

Also, just musing here-haven't researched this or anything, but I'm not sure that using massage as a way of expressing or gaining intimacy is a good precursor to a career as a massage therapist. I had to focus more on setting appropriate boundaries and keeping professional, emotional distance from clients rather than using the massage as a way to be close to people.

IMO, if a person uses massage as a way to get close, I would probably encourage limiting it to family and a very few close friends in order to safeguard the massager's emotions. Because the truth is that during my career, most people viewed their massage therapist as either a servant hired to make them feel good and therefore not worthy of respect, or as a paramedical professional that they expected to cure all their ills.

Please don't get me wrong. I think it is wonderful if your child has the gift of touch and likes to use that gift to help others. I just want to be sure that these "junior practitioners" are properly protected from physical or emotional harm.

Edited by hillfarm

My younger two used to love to massage my shoulders/neck/back, feet and brush my hair. It was always their idea.

As he got older, DS18 thought about massage therapy, but decided against it. DD is interested in being an RN.

Both of them had a special way, but dd, especially, had a special touch that others didn't.

My mom was a nurse, and she'd come home very tired. I'd rub her feet, and she always told me that it helped her the most when I rubbed her feet than even if my dad did.

I did that a lot, and loved helping my mom, but I didn't want to do that for a living. :)