Menu

Perfect Pork Chops? Recipes needed :)

I do an absolutely horrible job cooking pork chops. They are usually overcooked and/or tough. I'd love some recipes for cooking a great pork chop in the oven (I prefer oven over stove) and different ways to cook them. My family prefers bone-free pork chops. I typically cook gluten free, but I can alter most recipes. I just need inspiration! (And how to prevent them being touch so oven temp and time please).

Thank you!

I'm no help because I have the same problem. I just make pork tenderloin now and I no longer buy pork chops :)

I rub the pork loin with olive oil, herbs, salt, pepper, garlic, etc. and then put 3-4 of them in a huge cast iron roasting pan that I have. I cook on a really high temp (like 450) for a few mins and then turn the temp down. I have much more success with pork loin than pork chops.

Tried this last night and everyone ate (that's huge around here). But it is stove top.

sprinkle chop with salt and pepper. In skillet melt 2 tb butter over medium heat; add chops. Brown for 2 min., turning once. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add carrots (it called for baby carrots, but I just cut large carrots up), add apple (1-2 sliced with seeds removed, and 1/3 cup maple syrup. Cover; simmer for 8 minutes or until desired doneness.

Remove, chops, carrots and apples, bring syrup to a gentle syrup, 1-2 minutes. Pour over chops.

It was super easy, quick and yummy!

Because pork is so lean now, much leaner than it was 20-30 years ago, the only thing you can do is brine the chops. There's not enough fat there to protect the meat if you overcook them.

Put quarter of a cup of salt in a bowl.

Fill bowl 2/3 with water. Swirl to dissolve salt.

Add chops.

You can add other seasonings if you like, but I usually add those as a rub before cooking.

Soak chops 4 hours to overnight. (I've even done an hour and its helped a bit.)

Drain. Rinse. Add spice rub. Grill, roast, or fry until done.

Also, I think the cook temperature for pork has decreased with the elimination of trich. Its rare for US pork to have that problem so most modern chefs have decreased the internal temperature. That also makes it harder to overcook it.

I have found the key to a perfect pork chop. A digital thermometer. I stick it in the thickest one, set it for 160*, and answer when it alarms. Overcooking seems to have been my problem. This eliminates that. Favorite recipe? Soak in Dale's Seasoning, bake at 350* until that lovely digital therm. buzzes.

I have two GREAT ones. So easy my hubby can make them and that says alot :)

Honey Mustard Pork Chops

1/4 c. Dijon Mustard

4 tsp. honey

1 tsp apple-cider vinegar

1/4 tsp black pepper

4 - 6 (5 oz) pork chops (about 1 inch thick)

1. Make marinade - whisk mustard, honey vinegar and pepper

2. Put marinade in a large zipper plastic bag. Add chops and squeeze air out. Turn to coat and put in fridge. Turn a few times while in the fridge.

3. Let marinade at least 4 hours or overnight.

4. Recipe calls to broil the chops on a rack sprayed with Pam for about 6 minutes each side. BUT I grilled mine and that really made the flavor come through.

5. Remember to discard marinade, do not eat uncooked marinade.

Lemon Thyme Crusted Porkchops

4 - 6 (6-oz.) boneless center-cut pork chops

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs

1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon grated lemon rind $

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preparation

1. Sprinkle pork chops evenly with salt and pepper.

2. Stir together 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and next 3 ingredients in a large shallow baking dish.

3. Dredge pork chops in breadcrumb mixture.

4. Cook chops in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until done.

Because pork is so lean now, much leaner than it was 20-30 years ago, the only thing you can do is brine the chops. There's not enough fat there to protect the meat if you overcook them.

Put quarter of a cup of salt in a bowl.

Fill bowl 2/3 with water. Swirl to dissolve salt.

Add chops.

You can add other seasonings if you like, but I usually add those as a rub before cooking.

Soak chops 4 hours to overnight. (I've even done an hour and its helped a bit.)

Drain. Rinse. Add spice rub. Grill, roast, or fry until done.

Also, I think the cook temperature for pork has decreased with the elimination of trich. Its rare for US pork to have that problem so most modern chefs have decreased the internal temperature. That also makes it harder to overcook it.

:iagree: Pork has gotten so lean you can't cook it the way mom did. I either brine like above or marinate in Italian dressing. Don't even get me started on sausage. It no longer gives up enough fat to make a decent breakfast gravy. (I think white breakfast gravy is for wimps who never learned to make a decent roux.)

Thank you all SO much. I've copied down everything here and will be trying one out a week until I find some good ones. It's reassuring to know that pork has actually changed over the years. I'm going to first try switching the type of pork chops I buy and then dabble in brining for the thin ones I get from a typical store. I'm really excited now. :)

Family recipe:

1C ketchup

1C water

1/2 C brown sugar

1/4 C apple cider vinegar

1 small onion, sliced thin

1T Worcestershire sauce

1t paprika

1/2 t dry mustard

1/2 t salt

4-6 pork chops (boneless or bone-in)

(T- tablespoon, t- teaspoon)

Preheat oven to 350

Mix all ingredients except chops in a glass baking dish

Add pork chops, spoon sauce to cover

Bake in oven for about 50 minutes.

Serve with cabbage and mashed potatoes. (spoon gravy over everything - the gravy is the best part!)

I'm terrible at pork chops but these don't seem to get tough because of the sauce they're sitting in. Even when I overcook, they stay nice and tender.

:iagree: Pork has gotten so lean you can't cook it the way mom did. I either brine like above or marinate in Italian dressing. Don't even get me started on sausage. It no longer gives up enough fat to make a decent breakfast gravy. (I think white breakfast gravy is for wimps who never learned to make a decent roux.)

Amen! I can't stand that sausage doesn't have enough fat to make good gravy. It's changed a lot in the last 30 years. I make Sausage and Gravy with biscuits all the time (its my children's favorite thing) but it's just not the same nowadays.

I didn't really think about WHY that is. I thought maybe I was just losing my marbles and it never really had a lot of fat like I remembered it having.

Btw, on the roux. Anyone (except for my husband) that I've tried to teach/explain how to make roux has looked at me like I'm nuts. They think its too much trouble and won't bother. I don't think its really that difficult a concept, but whatever :) My husband though, he's learned and does it *almost* as good as I can LOL

My 6 year old finds it a great compliment to tell me that he loves me more than Sausage and Gravy, that's saying a lot! :)

Oh, and :bigear: about pork chop recipes! I only have a couple of old, boring ways to make it. Always looking for more.

Fast, easy and delicious! From one of Suzanne Somers' books.

4 boneless chops. 1 to 1.5 inches thick.

Sprinkle with S&P and saute chops over medium heat 4-5 minutes (not more!) a side in 2T butter. Remove from pan. (A stainless or cast iron pan works better than non-stick for this.)

Saute 1-2 medium onions, (chopped or in rings) in drippings until browned. Add more butter as needed. Add a couple cloves of garlic and saute 1 minute.

(You can use shallots too if you have or want them. Sub for some of the onion, but cook a shorter time.)

Pour in 1 C. red wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 3 minutes to reduce the sauce. Whisk in 1/2 C. heavy cream. Season to taste with S&P.

Add chops back into pan and cook 2 minutes.

Fabulous and satisfying.

P.S. Pan frying/saute is my favorite way to do regular sized pork chops. No more than 5 minutes a side! Fast and easy and they take so many seasonings well. We marinate and grill the thick ones.

:iagree: Store bought pork tends to be way too lean to have good flavor unless you add moisture/oil somehow. That's part of why we raise our own now. :D

:iagree: Store bought pork tends to be way too lean to have good flavor unless you add moisture/oil somehow. That's part of why we raise our own now. :D I have found Jimmy Dean bulk sausage still makes a good gravy - it is what I buy when we are out of ours. We go through the homegrown *really* quickly!

Amen! I can't stand that sausage doesn't have enough fat to make good gravy. It's changed a lot in the last 30 years. I make Sausage and Gravy with biscuits all the time (its my children's favorite thing) but it's just not the same nowadays.

I didn't really think about WHY that is. I thought maybe I was just losing my marbles and it never really had a lot of fat like I remembered it having.

Btw, on the roux. Anyone (except for my husband) that I've tried to teach/explain how to make roux has looked at me like I'm nuts. They think its too much trouble and won't bother. I don't think its really that difficult a concept, but whatever :) My husband though, he's learned and does it *almost* as good as I can LOL

My 6 year old finds it a great compliment to tell me that he loves me more than Sausage and Gravy, that's saying a lot! :)

Oh, and :bigear: about pork chop recipes! I only have a couple of old, boring ways to make it. Always looking for more.

I mostly cheat and start it with bacon fat :D

My hubby likes pork chops and rice. Season pork chops (salt, pepper, and any other seasonings. We like Tony Chachere's or Adobo seasoning.) Brown on both sides in skillet with a little oil. Transfer to baking dish. In same skillet, add 1 can cream of mushroom soup and a can and a half water and mix well. Pour 1 cup uncooked rice over chops, and pour soup mixture on top of that. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for about an hour.

I made them tonight, but since I didn't have cream of mushroom soup, I used cream of chicken soup and a packet of onion soup mix. The rice didn't cook up well (I also used brown rice instead of regular), but I think I will try it again without the rice because it made a delicious gravy that would go well over mashed potatoes.

If you grill or broil the chops, you can make a salsa verde to jazz 'em up. In a small bullet blender I combine a bit of onion, olive oil, cilantro and a dash of sea salt. Fresco and yummy! It's an Atk!ns recipe and you can find it on their website to get the exact proportions.

That Alton Brown recipe looks delicious - I'll be trying that one soon, thanks!