Menu

Anaphylaxis take two.

I just went and woke ds up to check on him. He has patches of hives on both sides of his neck, and a few starting down his chest. His lips are puffy and numbish.

I gave him another dose of benadryl an hour ago and just put a steriod cream on the hives (his twin has systemic reactions to poison ivy so the Dr. gives me large tubes)

That said, he is not having any trouble breathing, he doesn't have the tiny hives all over like he did the first time. These are large raised patches, the ones before were like goose flesh from head to toe.

We get the epi pens tomorrow from the pharmacy.

The drs did not tell me what to do in this situation.

I would take him back, especially since you said the hives are still spreading. It's not uncommon for kids to have a secondary reaction.

When my ds had a reaction to cashews, we were sent home with meds to counteract any ongoing reactions as the body processed the allergen.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Cat

I would call a nurses help line or the like. My son get's the large raised welts when he has an allergic reaction, they look awful but aren't life threatening. The puffy lips would concern me though.

Changed my mind, I would take him in. Better to be safe then sorry.

I'd be heading back to the ER. Benedryl can mask a reaction even when it is still progressing internally. Learned that the hard way - I'm ANA to peanuts.

With no Epi-pen available, I'd head back to the ER to be on the safe side. It also needs to be documented that he has a LONG reaction and needs multiple rounds of medications and/or observation if stung. If they discharge you again - it is worth sticking around if you can. I've spent the night in my car in the parking lot before when I've had an ANA reaction and didn't think it was fully shut down.

I'd be heading back to the ER. Benedryl can mask a reaction even when it is still progressing internally. Learned that the hard way - I'm ANA to peanuts.

With no Epi-pen available, I'd head back to the ER to be on the safe side. It also needs to be documented that he has a LONG reaction and needs multiple rounds of medications and/or observation if stung. If they discharge you again - it is worth sticking around if you can. I've spent the night in my car in the parking lot before when I've had an ANA reaction and didn't think it was fully shut down.

ER now!

Give him benadryl and Go NOW to the ER. Don't call. Go.

If it was just hives....I may think differently. With the mouth or airway being involved...I would go ASAP. To me there is nothing the doctor can do over the phone. There is A LOT that can happen if you don't go. Lack of oxygen can create permanent problems and some are fatal.

I hope the Benadryl will treat it, and you will find out he is fine once you get there, but in the mean while I wouldn't push it.

Rebound reactions are very common. Something is still going on inside him. Make sure you have that epi pen tomorrow! If your pharmacy doesn't have one in stock try to find another pharmacy that does.

Benadryl lasts 4-6 hours. Personally, I would redose him every 3-4hrs until morning, even if it means waking him up to do it.

:iagree: And you can give higher than the normal recommended dose of benedryl as well.

Another thing that helps sometimes for me is a cool / cold shower. There is something about lowering the body temp that seems to help sometimes.

Benadryl lasts 4-6 hours. Personally, I would redose him every 3-4hrs until morning, even if it means waking him up to do it.

I don't think I am gonna get a lick of sleep. He has had two adult doses. She said it is high for his weight, but given the severity it was the way to go.

The ER is a 1/2 hour drive. I'm scared.

How far are you from a 24 hr pharmecy? I think I would go get that epi pen now, or go ahead and take him to the ER. :grouphug: What a scary situation for all of you. Make sure all his siblings learn how to use the epi pen when you get it, in case they need to give it to him.

Those are scary symptoms, anaphylaxis can come back, and you don't have an epi pen. If he were mine I'd want to be in the ER. :grouphug: I'm sorry you're going through this right now. :grouphug:

When my son had his anaphylaxis they did oral steroids (either 3 or 6 day, I can't remember) and round the clock dosed benadryl afterward FWIW.

Scared Mama is reason enough to take him in and have some help watching him. It is 100% justified to take him to the ER right this minute. Your doctor won't blame you for that. She's probably thinking about him right now.

Call the ambulance. They can help on the way if needed, and you're probably very tired and anxious which doesn't make for good driving.

I don't think I am gonna get a lick of sleep. He has had two adult doses. She said it is high for his weight, but given the severity it was the way to go.

The ER is a 1/2 hour drive. I'm scared.

If the ER is that far I would start driving there now. That severity of reaction, esp with the swollen/numb limps, on that much Benedryl--if he does start to react more you'll want to be at the ER, not half an hour away. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

If the ER is that far I would start driving there now. That severity of reaction, esp with the swollen/numb limps, on that much Benedryl--if he does start to react more you'll want to be at the ER, not half an hour away. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Yes. Please go. That's just too far for a kid who's having swelling around the mouth. (I'm not trying to scare you. But I can tell you're scared, and I'm a scared with you.)

:grouphug:

I agree with Tibby, too. Scared Momma trumps a doctor who isn't there with you to see what you're seeing.

Cat

Those are scary symptoms, anaphylaxis can come back, and you don't have an epi pen. If he were mine I'd want to be in the ER. :grouphug: I'm sorry you're going through this right now. :grouphug:

When my son had his anaphylaxis they did oral steroids (either 3 or 6 day, I can't remember) and round the clock dosed benadryl afterward FWIW.

She asked about this, and seemed a bit annoyed. Truth is it was an Urgent Care that I initially went to. The Dr's their are actually phenominal in their specialty (Internists), but I am seeing where we slipped through the cracks a bit. I am hoping the steriod cream combined with the high dose will help till morning.

Scared Mama is reason enough to take him in and have some help watching him. It is 100% justified to take him to the ER right this minute. Your doctor won't blame you for that. She's probably thinking about him right now.

Call the ambulance. They can help on the way if needed, and you're probably very tired and anxious which doesn't make for good driving.

The hives a holding. He is sleeping and breathing peacefully. I can tell he's a bit annoyed that I keep waking him up. ;)

Even in his initial reaction his airways stayed clear. Hives, vision, swelling and blood pressure did not.

Oh my goodness! You really did slip through the cracks! After anaphlyxis, your ds should have been monitored for at least 4 and preferably 6 hours. This is why! Once the initial meds wear off, the reaction can come back and it is often worse. Did he get steroids to take? My ds always gets a hefty dose for 5 days or so. You also should have been sent home with more epi-pens. A child with anaphlyxis should NOT ever be without them - especially after a reaction like your ds had.

I pray that the Benadryl kept it at bay all night. :grouphug:

Beyond exhausted. It did keep them up at bay, but they are starting to darken again. Heading into his Dr shortly.

Thanks everyone. I just needed to know others were there last night.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3470155385805&set=a.1912958656860.2096985.1028714038&type=1&theater

Edited by Juniper

Please send prayers my way. I noticed my dd had a bandaid over a bug bite on her leg. I took it off and I know it is MRSA. She had a similar infection a couple months ago.

Upside: I am already heading to the Dr. :glare:

Please send prayers my way. I noticed my dd had a bandaid over a bug bite on her leg. I took it off and I know it is MRSA. She had a similar infection a couple months ago.

Hang in there!!!! We'll keep you in our prayers. Let us know how things go. :grouphug:

I can't tell very much from the photo.

Be prepared for them to do nothing but send you back home. Remember last year when I was covered head to toe in hives and my neck, face and mouth was swollen? I was told it wasn't anaphylaxis since I had a clear airway and sent home.

I do hope you get much better service.

I'm sorry to hear about all of your troubles.

An epi-pen is good to have. However, it is not a cure-all for an allergic reaction and once you administer it, you have to call 911 and go to the ER anyway. People seem to forget the part about going to the ER.

I hope the hives go away. Prayers to all of you.

Yes, I can see the puffiness

DO NOT LET THEM JUST SEND YOU HOME!!

Tell them about yesterday and last night. Be firm.

I remember when I went into anaphylactic shock. I thought I was getting a whopper of a sinus infection. I could feel my whole head swelling inside BEFORE anything outside puffed up. It was the morning I was to leave the hospital with my newborn. They kept me another 24 hours for monitoring.

Ugh! MRSA! Oh girl! Praying for you!

:grouphug::grouphug:

I can see the swelling and redness too. Please don't leave the ER - insist they keep him until this reaction stays away. :grouphug: I am so sorry you are going through this.

After all this is over - take him to an allergist. They will reassure you that your instincts are right. I took my child to the ER once for an anaphlyctic reaction and they messed up his care VERY badly!!! We ended up back in the ER overnight. We are only 5 minutes from the hospital. Anyway, the allergist the next day reassured me that my insticts had been right and that he never should have been sent home in the first place. They called the ER and "re-educated" them on anaphlysis.

Oh - and your airway does not have to be compromised to be having an anaphlyctic reaction!!! It is when two systems of the body have been compromised. Skin and circulatory (blood pressure raised) were affected in your son's case. It WAS (and IS) anaphlysis (and I know I'm spelling that very wrong!).

Beyond exhausted. It did keep them up at bay, but they are starting to darken again. Heading into his Dr shortly.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3470155385805&set=a.1912958656860.2096985.1028714038&type=1&theater

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Your son looks scared. I am so sorry. I hope and pray everything goes better today.

There does not have to be breathing impairment. The drop in blood pressure alone can cause death. (It's less common and talked about because it's less obvious.) And, if you wait for the breathing to be impaired to call 911, it's too late. You don't have the power to keep that airway open without an epi-pen. It seems awful and over-reactive to head to the ER for every reaction and I'll admit I have not done so. But my allergist has always been very clear, I am taking a huge gamble by hoping breathing does not become obstructed-swelling outside can mean swelling inside. :grouphug:

Sorry for the "lecture" but this is the same lecture my allergist gave me after I didn't call 911 after my DS' eyes and face swelled and he got hives. Two body systems- any body systems call 911. (Ours was eye swelling plus skin hives, yours would be lip swelling plus skin hives.) Horrid for you to have to go through this and I know you don't have time to learn everything literally overnight. Do the best you can, learn as fast as you can. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I can see the swelling and redness too. Please don't leave the ER - insist they keep him until this reaction stays away. :grouphug: I am so sorry you are going through this.

After all this is over - take him to an allergist.

:iagree:

We've had reactions misdiagnosed at the ER. :001_huh:

:grouphug::grouphug:

Praying for you!

Do you have a Children's Hospital near you? Phone them and get a recommendation for a pediatric allergist/ENT.

Make sure you get a scrip for Prednisone today (or its generic equivalent). A five day course is usually sufficient for an allergic reaction. Don't leave without a bunch of epi-pens...and instruction on how to use them.

Okay, we are back. Prednisone, epi pens, benadryl galore. His Dr was very upset that he had been released without oral steriods. DD is on antibiotics.

On a positive note: A new ER went in closer to my home, 20 min away instead of 30. His Dr said he really likes the staff there and should we need to go, please head there.

Here is ds right after we saw the Dr. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3470512834741&set=a.1912958656860.2096985.1028714038&type=1&theater

I am going to take a nap!

Okay, we are back. Prednisone, epi pens, benadryl galore. His Dr was very upset that he had been released without oral steriods. DD is on antibiotics.

On a positive note: A new ER went in closer to my home, 20 min away instead of 30. His Dr said he really likes the staff there and should we need to go, please head there.

Here is ds right after we saw the Dr. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3470512834741&set=a.1912958656860.2096985.1028714038&type=1&theater

I'm glad you've got what you need and that you're able to get some rest!

Cat

PHEW!!! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Oh my goodness! The hives are more pronounced in that pic...but his lips look better to me.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I wish I were close enough to drop off dinner for you tonight!

This is the day it would nice for a rain shower to make for a dark, cozy naptime. Praying you ALL get some rest and that your children heal completely and QUICKLY. :grouphug:

Even in his initial reaction his airways stayed clear. Hives, vision, swelling and blood pressure did not.

This is dangerous.

Oh - and your airway does not have to be compromised to be having an anaphlyctic reaction!!!

:iagree:, and things can crash very quickly.

Wow, he keeps going up and down, doesn't he! Poor kid. Please, if it happens again, don't hesitate to get to the ER or call an ambulance. Give the epi-pen immediately (if you aren't sure it's needed, err on the side of caution EVERY TIME), and then GO. This is nothing to sit around and watch.

So glad to check in and see your update. What a scary situation. Sounds like you have a good doc and now a good game plan if this happens again (and I hope you really never need that plan...).

Hope you all get good rest tonight.