Menu

all these swim team posts have me wondering...

Our boys' suits are speedo and go to the boys' knees -- they wear them only for meets. they wear their own suits for practice.

if you are talking about those teeny weeny boys' suits, I understand. ds11 wouldn't want to wear one of them.

Edited by MariannNOVA

Swim club boys wear jammers in our league...high school though is speedo plus shave. There are boys that aren't interested in going varsity due to the shaving...

My boys would be completely grossed out! Dh was on the swim team through middle school and freshman year of high school. When they wanted to bump him up to varsity and it included speedo and shave, he said no thanks. He didn't like it enough to be THAT dedicated!

Of course, we've never even had to consider it. There are no swim teams in a three county radius of us.

Faith

Am I the only one with a son that won't consider it just because of the suits required?
Same here.

Our teams wear jammers, but they are way, way too tight and show too much for DS. (He is more modest than his parents.) I tried last year to get him to try it, as he would probably be good at it, but he doesn't care for anything that clingy.

DS takes tennis lessons next to the natatorium and we often see swim groups outside warming up - boys always have on jammers or speedos. I have never seen any boys wearing regular trunks.

We've done swim team. Many of the kids, boys and girls, wear board shorts right up until they enter the water, and put them back on immediately when they get out. As always, before giving up an activity or forgoing it entirely, why not speak to the coaches to see if allowances can be made? Swimming is excellent exercise, and can be done for a lifetime. Many more modest options are out there, including wearing a drag suit over jammers (for boys), or wearing jammers over the regular suit (for girls). Find a team that's not uber-competitive; they'll be happy to have another swimmer join them.

our summer league has a team suit, but while most kids get it no one is required to purchase a team suit. A swimmer may were any appropriate swim attire in a meet so long as swim attire does not advertise another swim team or league. So, a boy can wear loose fitting swim shorts. I have seen some boys do this. Most who do do it for a season and then decide they like swim team and come back the next season wearing the typical competition team suit.

ETA: Ask if the competition type suit is actually a requirement. Summer leagues are typically less stringent on rules like this.

My whole live my dad wore a speedo. Sconce we had a backyard pool he worker that speedo all summer long with a housecoat. I'm sure he traumatized qu a few people.

Youngest likes to wear a speedo, eldest did also till this year. They didn't like the feel of all the fabric of typical boy swimsuits.

I know my boys would never skip out on swim team due to speedos. (instead it would be just because they don't like large group activities)

My son will only wear jammers. We have 1 brave kid in my son's age group who wears speedos, the rest of the boys are in jammers. As the kids get older, they seem to lose their fear. I think that is connected with water polo. A lot of swimmers transition to being primarily water polo players in high school and water polo players only wear speedos (less suit for someone to grab onto and pull you back).

Funny story on the shaving business. When I swam in high school, shaving wasn't required for the boys. When we had the big championship, one of my guy friends decided to shave for the first time. Well, the feeling of his shaved legs on the sheet was so odd to him, he couldn't fall asleep. He ended up awake most of the night and exhausted the day of the meet. No more shaving for him after that!

Almost every boy here wears a drag suit until the race, drops it at the timers then puts it on again when they get out. I'm pretty sure the parents require them to do so, lol. When we lived up North, though, that was not the case.

Yes, boys AND girls at the state level or above have to shave before big meets. Which for girls means you walk around with hairy legs most of the summer. ;)

Georgia

My son was pretty unhappy the first time he had to wear one of those suits. His team wears the tight suits that come down to a little above the knees. He quickly got over it once he realized no one was going to tease him about it and everyone else was wearing one as well.

He was only 9, though, when he started. I don't know the age of your child, but I could see where it might be really rough on a preteen or teenager.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa