Menu

Musty Towels-How To Get Rid of the Odor??

We have some towels that I really want to keep because they were a special gift for our wedding. The problem is that I had a load of towels in the washer that I forgot about and now I can figure out how to get rid of the odor. They are light cotton dish towels. Does anyone have any suggestions on saving my towels? I have tried vinegar, washing several times in hot water, etc and nothing has worked yet.

Vinegar. I buy it by the case at Costco. I use it in every load of laundry to get out any nasty smells (such as DH's polyester work-out gear), urine (I have a bedwetter), and/or musty towels that get stuffed in the hamper before they are dry. And of course, for those forgotten loads I double or triple up on the vinegar.

Our washer is in the garage, in the summer even an hour leaves towels smelling! I have a bleach cup, I just pour some bleach in the cup and it diluted it as it adds water to the load. It gets rid of the smell. If I over bleach, I wash again with extra fabric.softener. I usually do thos once a month. Our towles are still bright amd colorful!