Menu

The great debate: Sams vs Costco

I have never been to Costco. I have had a Sams membership before. When we move both will be pretty close. IF i was considering a membership again, which on is better and why? Arent they about the same?

Id be buying:

Paper Towels

Toilet Paper

Laundry Soap

Garbage Bags

Sugar

Flour

Yeast

Popcorn

Oil

Cat litter

Cat food

Gas

I've had both. While living in Fort Worth, I got a membership to both the first year. The second year I kept the Costco and dropped Sam's.

Now back in TN, they will opening a Costco this fall, but for right now there is only Sam's. I won't get a membership to Sam's.

For us it is as much about quaility as savings. Costco foods are SO much better. They also have more organic/natural products. The quality of meat is better too.

For the items you listed, I think that they'd be about equal. Both chains offer one day guest passes where you can go in and check out items, prices, etc. ... for a while, I had both because my dh likes Costco better, but Sam's opened a lot earlier, which worked better for my schedule.

I have memberships to both. I prefer Sams as I've yet to go to Costco and have room to move for their product samples. Sams has more of what we use regularly and I main shop there but Costco is a must have for a particular cut of meat DH likes and they are the only place to carry the jeans I love. We also got a great deal on our TV and the warranty was better than anywhere else as well.

These days I can't imagine having just one membership though I use Sams on a more regular basis.

Also I snagged the 'You Wouldn't Want...' books today so I'm glad I have both.

Costco hands down. The store is cleaner and nicer and the Kirkland brand products are top quality IMHO.

We had Sams for a while along with our Costco, but I so rarely used it and after a few times, stopped going completely. To me it was just a giant Walmart.

The only good thing about Sams over Costco is that they serve slushies at their food counter (at least, that was the thing my kids noticed!)

Dawn

Costco!

Not only better quality for product/meats, etc...it just "feels" nicer. Sams always feels like a big dirty Wal-Mart to me. I hate Wal-mart.

The Costco employees have always been so friendly. Sam's people always seemed like they hate their jobs.

In our area, Sam's has longer hours than Costco, which always seems to be ready to close whenever we get there. :glare:

Our Costco is cluttered and the employees aren't very friendly, while the people at Sam's go out of their way to be nice, and the store is very bright and clean.

At the moment, we belong to BJ's and Sam's. I liked Costco, too, but the others are more convenient for us.

For the OP -- I think either choice will be fine for you, as the things you want to buy are available at both stores, for similar prices.

For the list you wrote out I would just do Sams. The membership is cheaper and the prices seem a little better.

I prefer Costco however because they carry a lot of healthy food products. If you are not into health food items or organic, Sams makes more sense.

Does Costco have a Click and Pull? I've never been there but that is what I love about Sam's. I can shop online then they will pull out exactly what I want and load the cart. My husband will drop by on his way home from work and pick up my groceries.

Does Costco have a Click and Pull? I've never been there but that is what I love about Sam's. I can shop online then they will pull out exactly what I want and load the cart. My husband will drop by on his way home from work and pick up my groceries.

No, they don't. If there were a Sam's more convenient to dh's work than Costco, this might tip the balance the other way for me.

I prefer Costco, their food/products are better quality.

Too bad we have neither where we currently live. :glare:

:iagree: I am many hours from the nearest one. We used to have a Sam's membership and I much prefer my mom's Costco membership. There are some really awesome prices. We are gluten free, so there was a LOT we could get at Costco that we couldn't at Sam's.