Menu

Fish or Hermit Crabs?

My younger kids have gone back and forth between wanting fish and hermit crabs. Fish are peaceful and pretty, but I have bad memories of keeping a fish tank when I was in 6th grade. Ugh - what a mess to clean, and the billions of snails! Maybe aquarium technology has improved since then? I've heard that hermit crabs are a fun pet.

I'd like something that's relatively inexpensive to set up, easy to clean/care for, doesn't take up a huge amount of space and is more active than a houseplant.

What say you?

Hermies are fun. And their tanks never leak. :D

Here are a couple of sites I found helpful:

Hermit Crab Paradise

Hermit Crab Addiction

Oh, and Hermit Crab Paradise really emphasizes the importance of knowing how to properly care for your hermies, and ITA, but don't let its tone of voice put you off. :-) It is not hard, or expensive, to care for hermies properly. You just want to spend some time learning what to do before you bring home those babies.

Hermit crabs are fun and inexpensive to care for.

We have 3 of them and I love them, BUT....

did you know that with proper care they can live 15-20 years? :001_huh:

(I sure didn't, or I never would have gotten them!)

Also, they are nocturnal, and they are quite noisy as their shells bump into the glass sides of the aquarium when they roam around at night. ALL of my kids have asked to have the tank taken out of their bedrooms because the crabs kept them awake at night.

We got hermit crabs for the kids this past Christmas and then researched them, duh!

First, they are nocturnal and make quite a bit of noise (squeaking believe it or not!) and during the day they are buried in the bedding.

Second, they need to live in groups of 3-4+ to be truly happy.

Third, they can pinch you and that hurts so the kids don't want to pick them up.

Lastly, and most important, hermit crabs don't like to be played with....

Ugh! I take care of feeding, cleaning and watering them and their habitat daily because I have to BUT I don't recommend them to anyone looking for a family friendly pet.

We got hermit crabs for the kids this past Christmas and then researched them, duh!

First, they are nocturnal and make quite a bit of noise (squeaking believe it or not!) and during the day they are buried in the bedding.

Third, they can pinch you and that hurts so the kids don't want to pick them up.

Ugh! I take care of feeding, cleaning and watering them and their habitat daily because I have to BUT I don't recommend them to anyone looking for a family friendly pet.

I'm not trying to be mean or a smarta**, but the fish don't enjoy being handled either. ;-p

We enjoyed our hermit crabs. You can interact with them at least a little more than fish.

Edited by StaceyinLA

I have bad memories of my sister's hermit crabs dying. Of course she also had several fish that died. She was the one in our family that always had little pets- sea monkeys, guppies, mice, etc.

We have one of those little frogs that are about the size of a dime. Fun to watch swimming around the water. Fairly easily to take care of, but more similar to fish (snail, clean water regularly etc).

We have had 3 and your description does not meet them at all not even close other than they are nocturnal. Ours were always two in a cage and never had an issue they acted just fine. Yes they liked to sleep during the day but never had an issue when the kids wanted to play. The only only only time any of us got pinched was when my cat knocked their cage off the counter and my son picked the little guy up.

Even my son 7 at the time stated that he must have been real scared. Those little things would crawl all over my boys bare bellys and backs all the time. Why are you cleaning and feeding everyday? They just don't eat that much. They don't need their tanks cleaned daily either.

My kids used to set up little obstacle courses for them to climb and play on. I have never heard of the hermits you describe at all. They aren't really known to be mean creatures unless provoked or they feel threatened.

I love our hermies. I have five. Two belonged to the kids, but I've pretty much taken over and though they take care of them when I ask...it's just I got kind of excited and bought a micro, mini and a small for me. I call them 'My Dudes'. The kids crabs are almost larges. They are the friendliest. I have one small that we call Honey Badger...he's a little wild one.

Mine are out day and night. They will if they feel comfy and have enough hiding spaces. I have them in a 40 gallon octagon. They've got a plexiglass lid with holes to help regulate humidity and a heater. Lots of substrate to dig in and a variety of foods to eat (they pretty much eat what we eat during the day).

They are WAY easier than fish to deal with. :D I've had them before...

I like hermit crabs AND fish... (not in the same tank!).

I'd lean towards fish...they are more interesting long term... (you can watch them any time).

I love my hermies--but they are LARGE now and tend to stay buried for weeks (more like months) at a time when they molt... I have 4 and I usually see the smallest one (who is still LARGE) out most often-- he/she is the most tame.

Some days all of the hermies are buried-- so nothing to look at.

Oh-- and I inherited my hermies from our own WTM Ellie! We have had them a few years now-- bet she would not recognize them since they have doubled in size!

We are keeping snails as pets right now (thank you, REAL Science Odyssey Life :lol:). They are so easy. We drop in some lettuce and spritz their tanks once a day. Clean out the tank every once in awhile. They are pretty hardy and also fun to watch. They don't bite! And we can someday release them into the "wild" if we are tired of keeping them.

I have bad memories of my sister's hermit crabs dying. Of course she also had several fish that died. She was the one in our family that always had little pets- sea monkeys, guppies, mice, etc.

We have one of those little frogs that are about the size of a dime. Fun to watch swimming around the water. Fairly easily to take care of, but more similar to fish (snail, clean water regularly etc).

Now, I could see having some fun watching a pretty betta and a cute frog swimming around in a little tank. hmmmmm.