Menu

Would you work for free if this was on the menu?

DH's business and writing partners have written and will be shooting a webisode this weekend. They asked me to be the catering/craft service person:party: If you had volunteered to work for free on a film shoot, would this menu keep your morale up? It needs to be amazing; help me make sure this is amazing!

First day: Homemade lasagna (not the nasty frozen kind) with garlic parmesan bread and a simple salad. Pound cake with strawberries or peaches for dessert. I'm not sure if I should add another fruit choice here, blueberries?

Second day: Copycat Cafe Rio Pork Barbacoa with the option of putting it on a salad or in a burrito. Maybe the cilantro lime rice and refried beans. Dessert will be mini cheesecakes with strawberries, raspberry or blueberry pie filling.

Craft service options: Choice of water or a variety of juice and soda. I don't know if I should add some milk in or not. Maybe?

Snacks will be Nutella Puppy Chow, granola bars, trail mix, fruit, veggie sticks, yogurt, candy (M&Ms, Red Vines, chocolate covered raisins, Swedish Fish), cheese sticks, crackers, Aloha Loaf (like banana bread but with coconut and pineapple in it), regular banana bread, rice krispy treats and brownies.

Is there enough savory things in there? DH says you don't want too much pure junk food. What else could I add? Would this keep you happy?

I wouldn't be happy without a vegetarian option....

Ohhh yes. I am planning on asking if there are any dietary issues (allergies or restrictions). What would be a good vegetarian option? I could make the lasagna without meat and that would be easy enough. If you had to recommend one amazing vegetarian dish, what would it be?

Ohhh yes. I am planning on asking if there are any dietary issues (allergies or restrictions). What would be a good vegetarian option? I could make the lasagna without meat and that would be easy enough. If you had to recommend one amazing vegetarian dish, what would it be?

There are some recipes going here. Or maybe a lasagna Florentine.

There are some recipes going here. Or maybe a lasagna Florentine.

Oh thank you!

I don't think I could eat anything you listed. A gluten free option would be good, it's amazing how many ppl are having gluten issues.

To be honest, this is my biggest fear. I'd rather have to do vegetarian or vegan than gluten or dairy free. If it's just one or two people, I would plan on using some store bought gluten free substitutes for the pasta and tortillas. Maybe buy some coconut milk ice cream for their dessert. If a lot of people have allergies, I'm going to be nervous :001_unsure:

To be honest, this is my biggest fear. I'd rather have to do vegetarian or vegan than gluten or dairy free. If it's just one or two people, I would plan on using some store bought gluten free substitutes for the pasta and tortillas. Maybe buy some coconut milk ice cream for their dessert. If a lot of people have allergies, I'm going to be nervous :001_unsure:

I wouldn't fear gluten free entrees. You could offer the side salad and a grilled chicken breast with the sauce from the lasagna, topped with mozzarella cheese, if you didn't want to make a GF lasagna.

I don't know what is in pork barbacoa, but if it is GF, people could just eat it on a salad.

Several of your snacky things were GF.

It all sounds delicious! The only things I would add would be some protein snacks that didn't have any sugar included with them -- cheese cubes or slices, deviled eggs, deli meat, nuts (I know trail mix has nuts, but it also often has chocolate or dried fruit, and some people really need a big chunk of protein). That would help with gluten free offerings and could potentially be vegetarian and/or dairy free too.

I wouldn't fear gluten free entrees. You could offer the side salad and a grilled chicken breast with the sauce from the lasagna, topped with mozzarella cheese, if you didn't want to make a GF lasagna.

I don't know what is in pork barbacoa, but if it is GF, people could just eat it on a salad.

Several of your snacky things were GF.

Thank you those are good ideas. If I have to make it GF, I can remove the can of diced chilis (it says may contain traces of wheat) and that should be easy enough.

It all sounds delicious! The only things I would add would be some protein snacks that didn't have any sugar included with them -- cheese cubes or slices, deviled eggs, deli meat, nuts (I know trail mix has nuts, but it also often has chocolate or dried fruit, and some people really need a big chunk of protein). That would help with gluten free offerings and could potentially be vegetarian and/or dairy free too.

Good ideas, thank you. I was thinking I could just have all the elements for trail mix in separate containers and they could just build their own.

I wouldn't be happy without a vegetarian option....

That's what I was thinking.

My kids have each done a few independent films, for which the compensation is usually free food and a copy of the DVD. They are rarely able to eat the food that is served, because they are vegans.

If your cast members are people from the office and your husband knows they are all omnivores, then your menu sounds lovely. However, if you're getting people from the acting community, there's a very good chance you'll have at least a few ovo-lacto vegetarians and possibly a vegan or two.

A lasagna with cheese isn't going to help any potential vegans.

I can't help with a recommendation for one great dish, unfortunately, for the same reasons listed in the recent thread with a similar request. If you'd like to give us some parameters (trying to keep it similar to what you're already serving, using -- or not using -- specific ingredients, etc.), I'll be happy to toss out some ideas.

Be aware that many vegetarians and vegans are careful about the sugars used in foods, since bone char is frequently used in the processing. So, for example, a trail mix that included even dark or dairy-free chocolate might still not work for a veg eater who couldn't look at the packaging to verify the source of sweetener.

Plain old salted nuts are great for snacks, though!

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I think what you are planning sounds great for most people! Maybe just make sure there is plenty of salad so that vegetarians could choose that? And the range of snacks you are providing sounds like it is covering everyone.

I think your menu sounds great. As long as you have a giant salad to serve with the entrees, you should be able to keep everyone happy. Offer some chick peas to throw on the salad and that should meet everyone's protein, GF, DF and vegan needs. It's just lunch, right?

I think your menu is amazing and tasty... Drool-worthy... But I'd feel a little health-sabotaged.

For myself, if you were catering just for me, I'd like things like lean meats with sauces on the side, very fancy salads (perhaps with toppings and dressings in a 'make it yourself' line-up) and the carb-rich things as small, decadent side items. For the deserts, I'd focus on fruits-with-something, not so much on the baked goods... But keep the cheesecake. I also like fancy cheeses and top quality chocolate.

On the other hand, it's a special occasion, I might not mind being health-sabotaged by your amazing meal plan! I can work through my non-disappointment that I'm unfortunately off the hook for a couple of tasty days.

I would work for free with those choices! I agree with others that a vegetarian and gluten free option might be nice. (Or, at least check ahead of time?)

The only other thing I would add is coffee and almonds. I recently did this myself for a film shoot. Almost everyone wanted coffee at some point, and the almonds went like crazy. We had a big bowl of them out (with a spoon for serving them), as well as individual snack-size bags. They are a healthy high protein quick snack that you can grab on the run.

Just wanted to add that my girls participated in a webisode taping. The only food provided was pizza and juice. We did get to meet Lavar Burton though!

I think your choices sound great.

Oh how exciting!!! My boys would be so jealous. They love watching Reading Rainbow.

I'm not picky, but there isn't any booze on that menu! :D

*snort* They do have to work. No time to be getting tipsy :tongue_smilie:

For everyone else, thank you for your suggestions. I've tried balancing the sweets and the healthy stuff.

I did find out there is one guy who is allergic to wheat. I think he'll be happy with the alternatives I came up with for him. Hopefully.