Menu

About puppy birthing...

A dog found us about 4 weeks ago. She looks like a dachshund mix of some kind. She's pretty small--her body is maybe 14"-16" long (not counting her tail). We knew that she was getting ready to give birth, but weren't sure when. She's been sleeping in a box that's about 2'x3' that has a folded beach towel in it.

I think it's possible that birth is imminent. She's been growing increasingly restless over the past couple of days, sometimes trembling, and even more so this afternoon. Though she seemed distressed a little bit earlier, at this point she's resting in her box.

Silly question probably, but is that size box appropriate for her to give birth in? I don't think we have anything larger, so the alternative is taking away her box and spreading her towel on the floor.

Also, how worried should I be about the puppies possibly being disproportionately large for her to deliver? We obviously don't know anything about the "puppy daddy", so should we worry about that? :D

We've had lots of animals over the years, and we've found litters of kittens & puppies and such, but we've always had any "found animals" spayed/neutered, so we've not ever witnessed a canine birth.

I don't have any experience on likely puppy size. Sorry! Like you, I've always had my pets neutered. I just wanted to comment on what an angel you are to take in this mama-to-be and caring for her. I'd advise calling a vet for advice but that's pretty tough on the weekends!

Please report back on how everything goes. Pictures would be great too! :grouphug:

Pegasus

I don't have any experience on likely puppy size. Sorry! Like you, I've always had my pets neutered. I just wanted to comment on what an angel you are to take in this mama-to-be and caring for her. I'd advise calling a vet for advice but that's pretty tough on the weekends!

Please report back on how everything goes. Pictures would be great too! :grouphug:

Pegasus

:iagree:

And I wanted to add that I :lol: at "puppy daddy".

Our 15 pound beagle had 4 puppies about a year ago...we used towels to line a 2x4 foot plastic storage bin (we had kept it under the bed and just emptied the winter clothes so we could put her in it, high enough the puppies could not get out for awhile but easy enough for momma to climb in...keep food/water nearby, our puppy drank a lot after having her puppies...she was not quite sure what to do when the first one came out but by the time the 2nd and 3rd came out she was quick and had them cleaned in minutes...I think it took an hour and a half for all four to be birthed. Once all four were born we removed the towels and put clean ones in....I liked the longer bin because we could move momma and puppies to one end while we changed out those towels and them move them back without having to get them out of the bin. We also kept a heating blanket under one side in case the momma was not in, they all seemed to gravitate towards the heating pad side when she was not in there. HTH!

we used towels to line a 2x4 foot plastic storage bin

I've never even *seen* a 2'x4' bin!

The reason we gave her a box is because she has little teeny legs, maybe 5" long, and she has difficulty even walking on the lawn. I'm not sure she'd get over the sides of a bin in her current condition. :001_huh:

We had to cut an opening in the box that's only about 3" tall, so that she could get in & out.

Your box size is fine. I would definitely watch her closely during birth, and have a plan in place if something starts to go wrong. Do you have an emergency animal clinic you can run her to if needed? If she hasn't delivered by Monday, I would run her into the vet for a quick check.

Your box size is fine. I would definitely watch her closely during birth, and have a plan in place if something starts to go wrong. Do you have an emergency animal clinic you can run her to if needed? If she hasn't delivered by Monday, I would run her into the vet for a quick check.

:iagree:Also be prepared to break the amnotic sac on the first puppy AFTER it is born if the mama dog does not do so.

She panted all last night, and I thought for sure the puppies were coming.

Still nothing by this morning, and though she's been panting for almost 24 hours now, I haven't seen any contractions at all, and no discharge of any kind.

I'm a little worried, but the vet in our town isn't on call for small animals this weekend. :glare: The closest option is 45 minutes away, and I'm hesitant to do that if I don't absolutely have to.

Dh thinks that if there were non-productive contractions, that it would be time to get help, but since we haven't seen any contractions yet, he thinks we should give her more time. {sigh}

Dh certainly has tons more experience with birthing animals than I do, but I'm torn about what to do. If we were able to wait until tomorrow morning for our regular vet, the care would be free as part of our dairy service. If we have to go to the animal ER in the next town, well, I just don't have the budget for that. :001_huh:

Well, in the end, Rosie the dog was fine, and she's now the proud mama to seven pups, four black and three brown. None of them look like her, and they're bigger than I thought she'd have.

Turns out that she didn't want to use the lovely box we had ready for her, and preferred to give birth on a blanket my girls had left on the floor in the hall. :001_huh:

post-517-13535086623042_thumb.jpg

post-517-13535086623042_thumb.jpg

Well, in the end, Rosie the dog was fine, and she's now the proud mama to seven pups, four black and three brown. None of them look like her, and they're bigger than I thought she'd have.

Turns out that she didn't want to use the lovely box we had ready for her, and preferred to give birth on a blanket my girls had left on the floor in the hall. :001_huh:

OMWOMWOMWOMW!!!!!! That is the oddest looking, cutest stinking dog I have ever seen!!!! I can't believe she popped out SEVEN big puppies! Thank goodness she's OK. What a great experience to have been part of!

I'm so gad you're not closer, because I might have to come find you to get at least one from you, and DH would not like that much :tongue_smilie: Enjoy your new family members!